Code of Conduct

Default The macho or old man's cologne note?

Well I made several blind buys, some are good but some are just bad. The bad thing about it, is that they have some macho old school note that I can't describe. It's somehow transparent. The colognes with this bad note are: Rive Gauche, Zirh Ikon, Silver scent, L'Essence by Cerruti and almost all of Molinard colognes... this note isn't present in any other frag from my wardrobe. What can be this note? Thanks

Dependent

Default Re: The macho or old man's cologne note?

Patchouli

Banned

Cedar, oakmoss, vetiver, patchouli.

Add to the last ones some spices.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Seemon, I know exactly what you are talking about. That 'old school' vibe. A lot of guys are turned off by it. But their are many who love it. For example, Rive Gauche, Givenchy Gentlemen, Eau Sauvage, etc. Perhaps as time goes on and you learn to appreciate other scents, you will actually come to enjoy some of these. But always remember that in fragrance collecting, it is all subjective. One mans junk is another man's treasure.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

It's not a single note that gives rise to this 'old school' vibe. It's usually a combination or blend of notes which reflects the popular style of the particular era. Think about it- patchouli, spices, vetiver, cedar, etc are still used in many contemporary fragrances but we don't get the same 'old man' vibe... Oakmoss however is IFRA-banned, and is probably something you might associate with the more vintage fragrances. But I love oakmoss in my fragrances.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not a single note that gives rise to this 'old school' vibe. It's usually a combination or blend of notes which reflects the popular style of the particular era. Think about it- patchouli, spices, vetiver, cedar, etc are still used in many contemporary fragrances but we don't get the same 'old man' vibe... Oakmoss however is IFRA-banned, and is probably something you might associate with the more vintage fragrances. But I love oakmoss in my fragrances.

Likely oakmoss or patchouli. I love the former, but could live without the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    It's not a single note that gives rise to this 'old school' vibe. It's usually a combination or blend of notes which reflects the popular style of the particular era.
    Agree

I agree with others on this so far...it's more than likely a combination of a few notes you're picking up on that many of these types of frags use. Patchouli is something my nose picks up on very quickly & easily in a frag. If it's overdone, or not blended well, I'm pretty sensitive to it and generally won't like the frag. For example, however, I find it just right in something like Rive Gauche. I've also found that some frags (in addition to patchouli), that have the wrong balance of certain spices (like cloves) and lavendar can produce that "older man" vibe. Once example of this for me is Caron Pour un Homme. I can't even tolerate it on my skin, as I find it the strongest & most fitting example of "old man smell" I've yet to come across.

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Once example of this for me is Caron Pour un Homme. I can't even tolerate it on my skin, as I find it the strongest & most fitting example of "old man smell" I've yet to come across.
    Strongly seconded here!

I am almost entirely convinced that it's patchouli.

Thanks for reply. I've found that the rosemary is the first note. This synthetic rosemary note in Rive Gauche an Silver scent is totally different than real rosemary.
    Then patchouli which is in combination with some other notes very unpleasant. I like B-men or Patchouli Intense by Molinard, but Zirh Ikon, Rive Gauche or Azzaro Onyx are just not my cup of tea.