Code of Conduct

Question KOBAKO by Bourjois

Does anyone have any information on this strange fragrance ? All I know is that it was launched in 1936 and has been discontinued.
    I would be interested to know the notes and if anyone has tried it and can give a description.
    Many thanks.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: KOBAKO by Bourjois

I have a partial bottle somewhere will dig it out andreport back
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    I have a partial bottle somewhere will dig it out andreport back
    Thanks, it sounds fascinating. It gets some amazing reviews on Fragrantica and I have since found out that it was created by none other than Earnst Beaux and was a leather based perfume.

It is a very well regarded leather - I've seen it mentioned a few times here and there, but have never been able to track it. Part of the problem is that it's not clear what vintages are, there's the old bottle that looks like a round elaborate japanese-chinese snuff bottle, and there's a more plain bottle that looks like it could be recent (and thus reformulated). The prices seem to high to risk with the plain bottle. More information is welcome.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    It is a very well regarded leather - I've seen it mentioned a few times here and there, but have never been able to track it. Part of the problem is that it's not clear what vintages are, there's the old bottle that looks like a round elaborate japanese-chinese snuff bottle, and there's a more plain bottle that looks like it could be recent (and thus reformulated). The prices seem to high to risk with the plain bottle. More information is welcome.

cacio
    Thanks for this information. The only bottle I have seen is an oval bottle like the one shown in the Fragrantica perfume directory. I have a feeling that this was discontinued and then re introduced in the 80 s, but I am sure it has since been discontinued once more. I have seen it for sale at various places on the net and it doesnt seem too expensive. around 15 dollars. The fact that only 30ml and 50 ml flacons are available now, makes me certain that it has been discontinued for a second time.
    The Fragrantica reviews make very interesting reading and have made me even more curious now about this one.

$20 isn't that bad if one wants to try... but of course who knows about reformulations. Occasionally, I have seen the older bottle on ebay, but at much higher prices. Right now, there are only two empty bottles on sale on ebay.

cacio

Since starting this thread, curiosity got the better of me and I bought a 50ml edp spray. I have now tested it on strip and worn it about 6 times. The one I have is the oval bottle and the juice is a bright orange/flamingo pink colour.
    So how does it fare?
    I am very impressed, despite the cheap looking colour and presentation. It has nothing to do with leather, and a collector friend of mine believes the older version, (which he has smelled) never did either. That seems to be a misconception.
    This fragrance is a pure jasmine trip, and a beautiful one at that ! It reminds me very much of Ivoire from Balmain, very close indeed, and has the same wonderful "white soap" aura as Ivoire. The edp is strong stuff so one small spray is ample, at best on the forearm or away from the neck because the strong jasmine vibe can be overpowering. I have received many compliments wearing it, but the end of the day I would say it is a feminine fragrance. It does work on a guy with one tiny spray, and is perfect for perfuming the bedsheets for sweet dreams !

Sounds very appealing and interesting! Though I haven't had the chance to neither try nor own it, I already like the scent of almost any body care product by Bourjois, as much as I like the Art Deco bottle of Kobako I have once seen online.
    And described notes sound like that final touch towards fragrant perfection.

Thanks for the description. I'm not a huge fan of Ivoire, but it sounds very interesting.

Funny how received wisdom can persist - of course very few people have smelled vintage Kobako. Of course, it is also possible that it has changed several times since it was first created in 1936.

cacio