Code of Conduct

Thumbs up SOTD Saturday, 6th October 2012

Hello everyone. Been busy this week as a new academic year at university started on 1st October. But I'm here and now today to get us started.

I'm in Frapin Speakeasy, a gorgeous scent. I always appreciated Marc-Antoine Corticchiato for his Parfum d'Empire but now I appreciate his work even more thanks to Speakeasy he created for Frapin.

Default Re: SOTD Saturday, 6th October 2012

Hi all,

Ambre Sultan today.

Have a lovely Saturday, gang.

Sampled Opardu on my wrist this morning, but desperately wanted something more 'present', so decided to refresh Tabac Blond from last night.

Best to all

Good morning! The sun is up, the sky is blue, it's beautiful and so are you all!

SOTD is Micallef Gardenia. Makes me want to luxuriate in bed, but the sun beckons me to go outside.

Have a good Saturday!

Gardenia-Mapplethorpe-1987.jpg
    Do happy

Basenotes Plus

SOTD is Auric Blends Amber for today's SnS (amber)

Enjoy the day, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Thumbs up Re: SOTD Saturday, 6th October 2012

V E T I V E R
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Hello all. SL Ambre Sultan.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Good morning!

It finally stopped snowing last night. The local paper said we had between 12-14 inches in our area. It actually looks pretty this morning because the sun is out and making it sparkle. It won't last long though, it's suppose to be 43 degrees today and in the 50's tomorrow.

Wearing Hermes Ambre Narguile for SnS Saturday. Notes include labdanum, benzoin, vanilla, tonka beans, roasted sesame seeds, cinnamon, coumarin and orchid.

Have a great weekend!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 6th October 2012 at 04:53 PM.

E., I saw you have started with your amber last night in CD Dune.

Saddened to find out I have not got that many ambers sitting arounf here. I urgently need to eradicate this. In the decants department there was a few whispering my name gently -- I think I will go with the weapon of mass seduction Anne Pliska. We are cold here, below freezing again, but no percipitation. It rained once in September and otherwise has been very very dry.

2000 by Lacoste

my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Good morning everyone!

I suppose it's a bit unimaginative to go for the same amber perfume I wore for the last amber SnS, but it really wasn't deliberate. It's still pretty warm here, so I wanted something of a fresh amber, and those don't seem so easy to come by, but that's one of the reasons I love Ava Luxe's Ambra Tibet so much. It's amber to be sure, but it also has a clean and cool balsamic quality, along with a fantastic coco butter accord (I'm sure I said all this last year, lol) that makes it feel appropriate for summer ...or warmer weather, at least. But it's primarily rich, luxurious amber ...it's wonderful!

Y'all have a great day!

You're right Wolfie - I was in the perfect summer amber yesterday! I don't know why I never think of Dune as an amber perfume though ...perhaps I've avoided dissecting and analyzing it in favor of just letting it work its magic.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I almost joined Twolfie in Anne Pliska for amber Sniff 'n Speak. I like "weapon of mass seduction"! Maybe I will try it later this evening. In the meantime I'm house cleaning (allegedly) in Chantilly, a powdery sweet citrus floral amber. I am addicted to it this year. Ok [sigh]...back to work.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Agatha Brown Imperial Jade Emperor this bright, sunny Southeast Florida morning
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Let me play the lion, in this warm, foggy, in a word- unpleasant! weather.
    Have a nice weekend
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Blog Entries

SOTD: APOM pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian.

Good evening...shhhh I'm hiding from Jon. They beat us no shots other than a penalty given for a foul outside the area. Can't complain, they haven't beaten us since god was in short trousers. Shame I'd got used to enjoying those spankings recently.

Ok back on subject. SotM was LT Piver Heliotrope Blanc from a sample kindly donated by a kind BNer and SotA was TF Velvet Gardenia from my Perfume Posse prize. Review on Sample of the day. Got the longevity of a mayfly which was disappointing

Basenotes Plus

Switching to Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily for the afternoon, another favorite.
    I forgot to mention it before, today is my husbands birthday!! So I need to go bake him a cake!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 6th October 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Lol, Alityke! Your team may have lost but your sense of humor is fully intact!

No can do the ambers today, my usual fall craving for sweeter and heavier has not arrived yet this year. Think I will need to be dragged kicking and screaming into winter. In complete denial about the weather today with Le Temps d'Une Fête.

Happy Birthday, Mr.K! That snow is some present; hope you are both warm and cozy!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Aventus for me.

What I've Been Wearing:

Blog Entries

Today I feel like I was run over by a truck, LOL. Was catching up on sleep when the phone rang...*sigh*

I need something bright and energizing today, so I'm headed to my scent fridge for Rose Ikebana.

Hubby and daughter want to go to an agricultural fair in a little while, so I'm getting ready to go. I've "been there and done that" with the ag fairs-- we've gone to this one for many years-- but sometimes you have to play along.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Happy birthday, Mr. Kiliwia!

If you're thinking ambers today, remember to read and/or post in the Sniff 'n' Speak thread. Posterity will thank you for contributing your references. I'm wearing about a drop each of Ava Luxe Sweet Wood, Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, MP&G Ambre Precieux, and Attaché Moi.
    Thanks for the continued care and advice. Dan says that as long as he doesn't dwell on the "what could have beens," he's feeling fine. Pieper has sought comfort in facial/scalp massages from me. ExtremeK, I hope you're making progress in recovering from your heartbreak over Dugan. I can just imagine his reaction to your shoulder rubs. 30Roses, love that cat-on-dog massage video.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Awww, I love the puppy massages, Quarry! My cat demands a daily massage...or 2...or 3... he comes and stares at me until I notice him, then walks over to the place on the rug that smells of catnip, puts his rear end up in the air and stretches for a back massage.

I play the "cat massaging dog" video when my daughter comes over to the computer desk chair and rubs my neck. We both love it. The music is perfect!

The sky is threatening rain so the agricultural fair trip has been changed for a trip to the local cinema to see Looper. I've actually been looking forward to this; I enjoy Bruce Willis.

First fragrance free day in a while. Except for the faint smell of Herbaria Bay Rum soap.

Would like to see the massage, 30R., please? Where do you go to?

No amber today - I forgot. Instead, I'm wearing Dior Hypnotic poison.
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

bleu autumn haze

I'm wearing By Kilian Amber Oud for today's SnS.

Happy weekend, everyone.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Am wearing Santal Majuscule, but shirt is suffused with Cuir Beluga by Guerlain. In short, another scent sniffing day at Nordstrom, Barneys and Neiman Marcus.

I'd actually never intended to test fragrances, but I had to return a couple of merchandise at Nordstrom. When I was heading out, I got waylaid by a Perricone SA who insisted I try summat or other. I politely excused myself, but luckily the Diptyque counter was right round the corner. I was greeted by an achingly beautiful woman with a gorgeous accent. I initially thought she was French, but upon inquiring she told me she was Persian who'd fled Iran during the revolution. She had, however, done her schooling in Paris, which explained how she pulled off the Parisian aesthetic so perfectly. Generally, SA's at fragrance and beauty sections look like clowns what with faceful of makeup, bold lips and so forth, but good heavens, this woman was stunning. I was also helped by another extremely pretty Asian SA, who was remarkably sweet. Having sniffed around a couple of times, I know a good SA when I see one, and both these women were marvellous.

I tested Volutes in both EDP and EDT, and I think I like the EDT better. In the EDT, tobacco features in the top-notes, and I think that adds a lot of character to the scent. Also tried Olene which is a lovely jasmine, but certainly not better than the two jasmines I already own - A la Nuit and Sarrasins. Oyedo has all but disappeared from the blotter, ergo I can't quite remember what it was about anyway. The Asian SA made me test a citric Diptyque - reckon it's the Du Son, but I could be wrong. Upon my request, they also decanted about 2-3ml of Philosycos EDP.

I tend to buy my fragrances online, as then I don't have to pay sales tax and one can often stumble upon very good deals, but both these women were so amazing that if I ever want to buy anything from Diptyque, I'd certainly be heading to the Nordstrom in Union Square.

Next stop was Neiman Marcus. I wanted to test Tuscan Leather after having read too many encomiastic posts on Basenotes about it. It was OK, if a tad too in your face. It reminded me on Mona di Orio's Cuir, but personally I thought Mona's was more daring, more of a no-punches-pulled butch leather. The SA suggested I try White Suede, which was OK, but nothing to write home about. I did, however, request for a sample of Jonquil de Nuit to test at my leisure. Two of the previously tested scents from the newly released quartet failed to impress me, what with Cafe Rose turning out to be a damp squib, and Lys Fume, while quite lovely, not being quite out of the world to warrant the unconscionable price.

But I'd primarily nipped round to NM was to head to the Guerlain counter. I wanted to test Vega and Sous Le Vent. I remember testing them the last time round, but I'd not labelled the blotters and when I'd returned home, I couldn't tell which was which. I made sure to label all the blotters this time, and even managed to score a small decant of both Vega and Sous le Vent. I also tried Cuir Belluga on my shirt, but personally I think it's just another of those too sweet Guerlains. Lastly, I also tested Kurkdjian's Amyris again, but unfortunately there were no samples left. I was furnished with a sample for Amyris homme, but that doesn't quite capture the delicate sublimity of the femme version. Oh well, I just think I'm going to have to order a sample from Luckyscent, or else head to NM again and spray myself liberally with it to see how it pans out on my skin.

Last stop was Barneys. I wanted to test Santal Majuscule, and I knew Barneys had a tester. The last time I'd popped into Barneys was sometime in August, and remember the bottle being full, but as of now the tester is almost empty. Santal Majuscule has garnered very rave reviews and I was quite excited to test it. Santal de Mysore was too rife with cumin for my comfort, so the lack of the cumin was a relief, but the opening of SM was a tad too rich for my liking. My skin chemistry is such that even an iota of sweetness is amplified tenfold. Gourmands just don't agree with my skin chemistry - they just don't. It's an absolute shame, because the fragrance itself is lovely. I prefer Diptyque's Tam Dao and Chanel's Bois des Iles which have a wonderful sandalwood note in them.

I also tested some of the other Lutens' I haven't tested so far - Gris Clair, Clair de Musc and Cuir Mauresque. Gris Clair is lavender centric, and lavender is one of those notes which is too masculine for my liking. Whilst I can appreciate Fourreau Noir, Encens et Lavande and Gris Clair, I just can't wear them. I reckon they'd be amazing on a bloke, though. Clair de Musc was something which interested me and made me want to test again at leisure. I requested for a sample and was furnished with one. The one which I absolutely ended up LOVING was Cuir Mauresque. I like leathers - Cuir Ottoman and Cuir de Russie are two of my all time favourites. But given that I'd read that Cuir Mauresque was a tad too 'butch' and masculine, I was sceptical. But it turned out to be love at first sniff. They didn't have a sample, but the SA was obliging enough to decant a little bit for me into an atomiser. It's been a long while since a scent has made my knees go weak, but Cuir Mauresque is brill.

I also tested The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver (and even decanted a little) and Byredo's Black Saffron. Both were mediocre, but to be fair to Sel de Vetiver, my nose is anosmic to vetiver. I also wanted to test some of the Le Labos, but I'd already tested so many that I decided to call it a day.

Spicebomb by V&R
    Gary