Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Default Asian Inspired ?

    I'll start ; Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Kyoto
    “love lasts a long time, but burning desire, two or three weeks.”

  2. #2

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    Off the top of my head:

    The new collection By Killian has two scents: Bamboo Harmony and Water Calligraphy.

    Others are:

    Shiseido Murasaki (obviously)

    Hermes Rose Ikebana and Iris Ukiyoe

    New Keiko Mecheri Johana, also her Ume and Hanae

    Different Company Tokyo Bloom

    Guerlain Voyages Tokyo

    Aroma M Geisha (many scents)

    Guerlain Mitsouko

    Romeo D'Ameor Les Imperiatrices Japonaises (Japanese Empresses)

    CDG Monocle Hinoki

    Grossmith Hasu No Hana

    Caron Yuzu Man

    Odin 02 Owari
    Last edited by Primrose; 7th October 2012 at 04:11 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    “love lasts a long time, but burning desire, two or three weeks.”

  4. #4

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    Quote Originally Posted by EdeC View Post
    Check my longer list.

    Don't forget that famous one: Hai Karate. It's a scent do powerful men had to fight off women.

    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    Thanks ; exactly what I'm looking for !
    “love lasts a long time, but burning desire, two or three weeks.”

  6. #6

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    Montale's Mango Manga.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    For Chinese, Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes and Guerlain Liu.

    For Filipino, Ormonde Jayne Sampaquita.

    Another Japanese one: Alain Delon Samourai 47.
    Last edited by Primrose; 6th October 2012 at 10:57 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    +1 Hinoki
    +1 Kyoto

  9. #9
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    83,841

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    Bamboo Trefle by Galimard

  10. #10

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    Yang, Tea for Two, and Gucci Pour Homme II.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Off the top of my head:

    The new collection By Killian has two scents: Bamboo Harmony and Water Calligraphy.

    Others are:

    Shiseido Murasaki (obviously)

    Hermes Rose Ikebana and Iris Ukiyoe

    New Keiko Mecheri Johana, also her Ume and Hanae

    Different Company Tokyo Bloom

    Guerlain Voyages Tokyo

    Aroma M Geisha (many scents)

    Guerlain Mitsouko

    Romeo D'Ameor Les Imperiatrices Japonaises (Japanese Empresses)

    CDG Monocle Hinoki

    Grossmith Hasu No Hana

    Caron Yuzu Man

    Odin 02 Owari
    Wow, great list!

    I'll add:

    Citta di Kyoto - Santa Maria Novella (Inspired by Kyoto)
    Feminite des Bois - Shiseido/Serge Lutens (this isn't officially inspired by Japan, but it's a Japanese company and it smells SO MUCH like "ume boshi" which are sweet and sour Japanese pickled plums!)
    Gaiac 10 (Tokyo Exclusive) - Le Labo (Funny, this reminds me of how my Japanese girlfriend smelled when she woke up in the morning)
    Omnia Crystalline - Bulgari (a fragrance specifically designed for the asian market and tastes)
    Fils de dieu (AKA Phillipine House Boy) - Etat Libre d'Orange
    Tactics - Shiseido (This is what the older "salary men" in Tokyo sometimes smelled like while I lived there. Well, that and lavender hair tonic)

    That's all I can think of for now...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Here's one more:

    Kisu by Tann Rokka

    - - - Updated - - -

    On the other hand, Japon Noir by Tom Ford is supposed to be inspired by Japan, but I can't tell what it's inspired by or what it's supposed to smell like that is Japanese. It doesn't smell asian to me at all.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 7th October 2012 at 05:40 AM.
    Sales thread here

  13. #13

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    CdG-Kyoto is definitely Asian scent, it reminds me the peaceful happiness memories in the temples.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    How about YSL's Opium, both the 'pour homme' and the original 'feminine' are masterpieces. Put some amber in your hookah to enjoy Ambre Narguile. Also, sandalwood scents like Tam Dao, which seems almost like sandalwood eo to me. Oud is another Asian material--too many of those to mention.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    Thanks. Arigato . Xiexie .
    I'm torn between wanting to smell like a Kyoto temple monk , an older Japanese salaryman , or L'Aventurier's girlfriend in the morning !
    “love lasts a long time, but burning desire, two or three weeks.”

  16. #16

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Wow, great list!

    I'll add:

    Citta di Kyoto - Santa Maria Novella (Inspired by Kyoto)
    Feminite des Bois - Shiseido/Serge Lutens (this isn't officially inspired by Japan, but it's a Japanese company and it smells SO MUCH like "ume boshi" which are sweet and sour Japanese pickled plums!)
    Gaiac 10 (Tokyo Exclusive) - Le Labo (Funny, this reminds me of how my Japanese girlfriend smelled when she woke up in the morning)
    Omnia Crystalline - Bulgari (a fragrance specifically designed for the asian market and tastes)
    Fils de dieu (AKA Phillipine House Boy) - Etat Libre d'Orange
    Tactics - Shiseido (This is what the older "salary men" in Tokyo sometimes smelled like while I lived there. Well, that and lavender hair tonic)

    That's all I can think of for now...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Here's one more:

    Kisu by Tann Rokka

    - - - Updated - - -

    On the other hand, Japon Noir by Tom Ford is supposed to be inspired by Japan, but I can't tell what it's inspired by or what it's supposed to smell like that is Japanese. It doesn't smell asian to me at all.
    Funny, I don't get umeboshi from Feminite de Bois. I get a lot of woody cedar. It is a Shiseido, however.

    As for Shiseido, how about Zen in the original black and gold flacon? I can still be found as a cologne at some counters. A powdery classic, often now overlooked.

    Quote Originally Posted by EdeC View Post
    Thanks. Arigato . Xiexie .
    I'm torn between wanting to smell like a Kyoto temple monk , an older Japanese salaryman , or L'Aventurier's girlfriend in the morning !
    You can wear them at turns. Just enjoy and try. BTW, Shiseido has a very long pedigree as a toiletry company going back to the 1870s. Nice to know some real pedigrees are out there like Caron and Guerlain.

    And THIS is THE best Japanese men's fragrance of ALL time:

    Last edited by Primrose; 7th October 2012 at 06:48 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    Noir Epices (Frederic Malle) takes me straight to Java.

    Obviously there's the clovey Kretek thing but beyond that it conjures up the sense of stepping away from the road and then, just a few paces under the forest canopy, there's that heady mix of decay and new life - leaves and tropical flora.

    Epic Woman (Amouage) is very evocative of northwestern Chinese medicinal herbs. The inspiration came from the Silk Road and makes sense - northern cuisine draws on some great herbs that you don't get in the southeast, and the frankincense kicks in a sort of northern fortitude to the thing. Don't be put off by the 'Woman' in the name - this is no more 'girly' than the women you'll meet in Beijing and all points north. Tribute is in the same ballpark. Epic Man is the boring male version - strong, silent but with nothing of any interest whatsoever to add to the conversation.

    Kyoto does what it says altho Sandalo Inspiritu (DSH) is a much truer representation of Kyoto incense, and Dzongkha (L'Artisan) is not bad - never been to Bhutan but it does evoke the mood of a Tibetan Buddhist Monastery in Kathmandu Valley I visited, cool stone, old wood and pretty chilly when the sun goes down.

    For some reason Attrape Coeur (Guerlain) sits me right beside the pool surrounded by lush tropical trees and flowers in Bali late at night. Don't know why but it's a magnificent piece of work if you can track it down.

    +1 Osmanthe Yunnan (reminds me of Ningbo in Spring) and I'll add Le Treizieme Heure (Cartier) for it's superb smoky Lapsang Soochong note.

    I don't rate the By Kilian pair - a missed opportunity IMO - even the local office girls here were turning their noses up at them. They're nice enough in an inoffensive pretty kind of way but for that price?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    Where can I get Mandom ?
    It's discontinued , right ?
    “love lasts a long time, but burning desire, two or three weeks.”

  19. #19
    Basenotes Plus
    farang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    European in Bangkok
    Posts
    300

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Noir Epices (Frederic Malle) takes me straight to Java.

    Obviously there's the clovey Kretek thing but beyond that it conjures up the sense of stepping away from the road and then, just a few paces under the forest canopy, there's that heady mix of decay and new life - leaves and tropical flora.

    Epic Woman (Amouage) is very evocative of northwestern Chinese medicinal herbs. The inspiration came from the Silk Road and makes sense - northern cuisine draws on some great herbs that you don't get in the southeast, and the frankincense kicks in a sort of northern fortitude to the thing. Don't be put off by the 'Woman' in the name - this is no more 'girly' than the women you'll meet in Beijing and all points north. Tribute is in the same ballpark. Epic Man is the boring male version - strong, silent but with nothing of any interest whatsoever to add to the conversation.

    Kyoto does what it says altho Sandalo Inspiritu (DSH) is a much truer representation of Kyoto incense, and Dzongkha (L'Artisan) is not bad - never been to Bhutan but it does evoke the mood of a Tibetan Buddhist Monastery in Kathmandu Valley I visited, cool stone, old wood and pretty chilly when the sun goes down.

    For some reason Attrape Coeur (Guerlain) sits me right beside the pool surrounded by lush tropical trees and flowers in Bali late at night. Don't know why but it's a magnificent piece of work if you can track it down.

    +1 Osmanthe Yunnan (reminds me of Ningbo in Spring) and I'll add Le Treizieme Heure (Cartier) for it's superb smoky Lapsang Soochong note.
    Thanks! Very interesting.
    I suppose the tropical flowers....jasmine, etc will also have an Asian feeling to them.
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

  20. #20

    Default Re: Asian Inspired ?

    Quote Originally Posted by EdeC View Post
    Where can I get Mandom ?
    It's discontinued , right ?
    Mandom is long gone, I think, but its advertisement continues to delight and amuse.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Similar Threads

  1. Asian Men: Your Favorite Fragrance?
    By Woody in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 26th December 2013, 05:53 PM
  2. By Kilian Asian Tales (5 new fragrances inspired by China)
    By PassionateJourney in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 26th May 2012, 06:30 AM
  3. What are some really good truly asian inspired spicy oriental colognes?
    By fkc_nner in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10th October 2009, 05:10 PM
  4. Best Green Tea and Best Asian Scent?
    By cksnipe in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 19th October 2008, 06:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000