Code of Conduct

Default Chevalier d'Orsay

Greetings Gents,

I've noticed that there are bottles of Chevalier d'Orsay at Strawberrynet.

I have a vintage bottle and was wondering how these stack up if anyone has tried them?

Many thanks,

Koala.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Chevalier d'Orsay

Parfums D'Orsay reformulated in the 1990s and then again recently. The boxes were also changed along with the logo, supposedly a coat of arms. (Coats of arms can't be "reworked" as there are strict rules of heraldry. The coronet--the count's 'crown'--was changed with the new packaging.)

For the record, the company was founded in 1908 and not 1830 as on the boxes. The fanciful tale of the namesake being a perfumer is a pure marketing fabrication.

You can read more here on the marketing and history:
    Nigel Groom, 2nd ed. "The Perfume Handbook."
    Ken Leach. "Perfume Presentations."
    Madeline Marsh. "Miller's Perfume Bottles: A Collector's Guide."

For the record, Parfums D'Orsay sued Guerlain for the use of the word "dandy." Guerlain, the company with the real history, was obliged to pull its Arsene Lupin Dandy bottles and repackage.

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...fragrance.html

Olivia Giacobetti's Tillieul is still the best of the lot.

Le Dandy EDT (in the old white boxes), once so wonderful, is now reformulated without the oakmoss in a new EDP version. Not the same at all. Something is missing, and it's not helpful.

Chevalier is a good spicy floral. I can't say about the new version.

If you come across the older bottles (striped, usually), I would buy them.
    Last edited by Primrose; 18th April 2012 at 11:33 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I have their entire line in my collection and Chevalier d'Orsay is one of my favorites

Thank you Gents.

Primrose, as always, you are a wealth of knowledge! Much appreciated.

I'm tempted to buy a bottle but I'm sure the Chevalier would be missing the true moss feel in the base.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both Le Dandy and D'Orsay are totally underwhelming in their new guise -- the originals can't be worse

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Both Le Dandy and D'Orsay are totally underwhelming in their new guise -- the originals can't be worse
    The reformulation took its toll. On the official site (English and French), oakmoss is no longer listed.
    Last edited by Primrose; 18th April 2012 at 05:58 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks Gents, I'll stick with the vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    Thanks Gents, I'll stick with the vintage.
    The old Web site featured the silver-capped EDT of Le Dandy and the new site features the gold-capped EDP of Le Dandy. There is no oakmoss in the new version.

If the new Chevalier had any oakmoss in it, it might have been removed for the new version.

I have a bottle of Chevalier from about 2007. Is that the reformulation being negatively referred to above, or has it been reformulated (again) since 2007? Bergdorf's hasn't had any d'Orsays for a long time, so I have no idea what Chevalier smells like today.