Code of Conduct

Default What is the next trend after Oud !? Im getting burned out, and quickly.

Is there anything on the horizon that is promising ? Oud is nice and just about every house has exploited the note but I dont see Oud lasting 5 or 10 more years, at this rate. Sales have to dive at some point.

Montale has been riding the Oud wave long enough. But with all the perfumers releasing them now, I cannot understand how these companies like Montale stay in business where their entire company is based around the Oud note.

Default Re: What is the next trend after Oud !? Im getting burned out, and quickly.

IFRA having forbidden most of the interesting materials, it's no surprise that companies are exploiting whatever is left. After Guerlain, having reformulated all their past glories, succumbed too, Chanel is the only ones missing. Let's see for how long.

In niche perfumery, I am seeing a disturbing trend towards post-Secretions Magnifiques "bilges" (M/Mink, the HdP -m trio). I hope it's just occasional, but who knows.

cacio

Default Re: What is the next trend after Oud !? Im getting burned out, and quickly.

...truffle...?

Spices; cardamom is in so many new fragrances. Exotic fruits and woods, 'straight from the rainforest and into the bottle'.

Found this on the Sevenscent website:

Fragrance Forecast Autumn-Winter 2013/14

As the fashion world reflects on London Fashion Week, we are one season ahead with our forecast for the key trends influencing next year’s autumn-winter fragrance collections.

This season always encourages more intense, heavier, longer lasting fragrances to evoke a feeling of warmth and comfort during the colder months. These traditional notes will still be evidence but we have identified a number of creative fragrance accords which are growing in popularity with consumers and look set to influence direction.

Based on research into the world of fashion, design and fine fragrance, our bi-annual Fine Fragrance Report predicts the following fragrance notes will play a key role in autumn-winter 2013/14:

• Tea accords: a move away from the classic or traditional green tea accords, towards a more unusual, sophisticated and rich fragrance.
    • Wood accords: the rich spice of oud is softened in a partnership with rose; a classic marriage of materials from middle eastern perfumery.
    • Leathers and suede: evoking a timeless elegance and quality in masculine scents.
    • Spices: such as cardamom, cumin and saffron inspired by the Middle East.
    • Amber: versatile and popular, it adds warmth and blends with oriental spices as well as soft musky notes.
    • Red berries: rich and dark notes will deliver an autumnal feel.

It'll probably be some overlooked flower.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    IFRA having forbidden most of the interesting materials..........

That just about says it all and the full effects haven't even taken place.

Lots of fancy names, descriptions, packaging, and who knows. Luckyscent is looking for more creative writers. They're the only ones telling stories. Most of the new fragrances rarely do.

Basically, lots of things to cover up the fact that most of the important ingredients have been banned.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th October 2012 at 09:07 AM.

Maybe something exotic coming out of the Amazon.

I would just do layering rather than expect some great new note or accord to be that special. Also, I think in terms of overlooked frags more than something new and incredible. Take the example of the humble Just Me by Montana: honey, jasmine, pineapple, chocolate, leather, etc. Do you have a frag like that?
    Last edited by Bigsly; 19th October 2012 at 08:09 AM.

If it were up to me, it would be BLACK LICORICE. In my opinion it's a severely underutilized ingredient that has a tremendously unique and identifiable scent.

- - - Updated - - -

If it were up to me, it would be BLACK LICORICE. In my opinion it's a severely underutilized ingredient that has a tremendously unique and identifiable scent.

I think we are going to see more of the exotic as a lot of middle eastern fragrances become popular with a western twist. Also ingredients from the far east with more tea based/incense notes becoming more prominent which we are seeing aready with niche scents.

Classicism. The next trend will be, IMO, to represent fragrances in a classic vein. The funny part is that, as already said in previous posts, the new iterations of the classic themes, will be lacking the substance...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

My suspicion is that if you could find out what new synthetic replacements the aromachemical companies are working on, you'll find the next big trend...

Anything that is rare.... gold? Platinum?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

The next big trend will be Aventus copycats.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Found this on the Sevenscent website:

Fragrance Forecast Autumn-Winter 2013/14

As the fashion world reflects on London Fashion Week, we are one season ahead with our forecast for the key trends influencing next year’s autumn-winter fragrance collections.

This season always encourages more intense, heavier, longer lasting fragrances to evoke a feeling of warmth and comfort during the colder months. These traditional notes will still be evidence but we have identified a number of creative fragrance accords which are growing in popularity with consumers and look set to influence direction.

Based on research into the world of fashion, design and fine fragrance, our bi-annual Fine Fragrance Report predicts the following fragrance notes will play a key role in autumn-winter 2013/14:

• Tea accords: a move away from the classic or traditional green tea accords, towards a more unusual, sophisticated and rich fragrance.
    • Wood accords: the rich spice of oud is softened in a partnership with rose; a classic marriage of materials from middle eastern perfumery.
    • Leathers and suede: evoking a timeless elegance and quality in masculine scents.
    • Spices: such as cardamom, cumin and saffron inspired by the Middle East.
    • Amber: versatile and popular, it adds warmth and blends with oriental spices as well as soft musky notes.
    • Red berries: rich and dark notes will deliver an autumnal feel.
    Great list! Thank you!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Somethings that really rare from the deep of the ocean or the wild amazon jungle.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Quote Originally Posted by Wit_Siamese View Post
    Somethings that really rare from the deep of the ocean or the wild amazon jungle.
    Sounds great to think of what fragrances that could be discovered from those places. But the governing IFRA body that has restricted Oakmoss and certain other notes I think would go nuts at the thought.lol

Oud will never go out of fashion, it has been a hallmark of Eastern Perfumery for well over a thousand years. In terms of Western perfumery, I think herbal ingredients , like Nagarmotha or some easily available Incense resin like Copal. Personally, I never tire of the Rose and Oud combo.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    The next big trend will be Aventus copycats.
    +1!

Humm, after reading the following businessweek article. I suspect it'll be ambergris.. Synthetic.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...for-own-scents

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gae View Post
    My suspicion is that if you could find out what new synthetic replacements the aromachemical companies are working on, you'll find the next big trend...
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

¿Si o No?

Rose. The gender lines are blurring further by the day.