Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Men's GIVEAWAY thread- NO REQUESTS ALLOWED! Revised 1/29/13

Offering samples and bottles for free will be allowed here. Let's see if we can do this without asking for sample shipping costs. If someone offers samples and then later receives some, the costs should be a wash. Shipping samples in a small sandwich type baggie and then placing them in a bubble wrap envelope should cost no more than $2.00 U.S. Bottle shipping requests must be for typical shipping costs. Even though the bottles are free please pack them carefully! This should be a fun and conflict free experience. Please do not ask for more than one freebie per month. We do not want "freebie hogs" to ruin the experience for everyone else. Requests are not allowed here, as doing so would be outside the marketplace rules and allowing it would lead to requests from those who do not meet marketplace requirements. Please state to whom you have sent samples. Some reply by PM so no one knows who got them. We want to be able to see if anyone is "hogging" the sample giveaway. Regarding shipping out of one's country- Although some have no problem with this, it is certainly not an obligation. Some must wait on line at an actual post office to do so as opposed to being able to ship domestically from an annex. So let's not disparage those who state CONUS or EU ONLY, for example.

All responses to giveaways should be public so there is no question as to who was first. It may be wise to first post publicly and then follow with a PM with one's address.
    Last edited by stuigi; 29th January 2013 at 10:52 AM.

Default Re: Men's sample swap thread

Sounds like a great idea! I'll try to contribute after I get a small collection started.

Men only to participate on this thread I am going to guess?
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Great idea, I'll be happy to offer samples from my small wardrobe for UK users - but before that I'll need to see what empty sample bottles I have so I can say what I can offer. Free postage is fine - it should only cost about 60p ($1) in the UK.

Is it OK to say something like "I can offer 10 assorted samples from my wardrobe - pick one you want and ask me"? or is that too close to the market place prohibition? (As an alternative, would it be better, say, to list something specific and say "I'm offering the following specific samples..."?)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Men only to participate on this thread I am going to guess?
    It shouldn't be men-only, IMO, it should just be "men's fragrances" only.
    Alan

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I would think anyone could participate.

Just as the thread on the female forum leans toward offering fragrances marketed to women (but men who wish to try them are welcome to accept the offers), I would think this thread will be geared toward masculines-- but if women wish to try them, why not?

I think most of us here on BN are not so very rigid about gender categorization of fragrances anyway.

For that matter, if I have leftover men's samples to offer (from my husband's stash), I'll offer them here instead of on the thread on the female forum.

Is it OK to say something like "I can offer 10 assorted samples from my wardrobe - pick one you want and ask me"? or is that too close to the market place prohibition?

Erm, could somebody please point me towards the regulations re. market place prohibition?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Marketplace rules:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/229...ketplace-rules

My husband and I just had a good scrounge. In the interest of de-cluttering, we offer these used samples for free.
    USA only.

Please choose either batch 1 or batch 2.
    I'll look at your wardrobe "to test list", and if I own a perfume that you have on your wardrobe test list, I'll decant a bit to add to the package (as long as I have enough to share.)

Batch 1: CLAIMED by Octavarium/mailed 10/9
    Penhaligon's Castile, carded vial sample, nearly full, 1.5 ml
    Nordstrom decanted spray samples of Pure Malt, about 2 mls total
    Nordstrom Declaration Cologne edt spray sample, about 1.5-2 mls

Batch 2: Claimed (Turtle Vetiver to morrison74, others to personageguy/mailed 10/9
    CB I Hate Perfume Old Leather #276 water perfume, decanted spray sample, about .7 ml spray
    Hermessence Paprika Brasil, decanted spray sample, about .7 ml remaining
    Turtle Vetiver Front glass spray decant, estimate 1 ml remaining
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 16th January 2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: added names

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Marketplace rules:

My husband and I just had a good scrounge. In the interest of de-cluttering, we offer these used samples for free.
    USA only.

I'll look at your wardrobe "to test list", and if I own a perfume that you have on your wardrobe test list, I'll decant a bit to add to the package (as long as I have enough to share.)

Batch 1:

Batch 2:
    CB I Hate Perfume Old Leather #276 water perfume, decanted spray sample, about .7 ml spray
    I'd love to try out Pure Malt. I'm really new to collecting, so I'd really appreciate being able to try something like that before buying it. My collection is something like six bottles now, three of which I rarely use.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

OctaVariuM,

I can send you batch 1 with Pure Malt and the other samples; you don't have any fragrances listed in your wardrobe so there is no test list for me to look at....

Please PM me your name and address and I'll mail it tomorrow.

Last edited by 30 Roses; 7th October 2012 at 11:38 PM.

Marketplace rules:

USA only.

Batch 1: CLAIMED

Batch 2:
    30 Roses, you never pass up the opportunity to share with others. One of the most generous people on BN!!
    Very nice of you to kick things off for the guys!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I would think anyone could participate.

Just as the thread on the female forum leans toward offering fragrances marketed to women (but men who wish to try them are welcome to accept the offers), I would think this thread will be geared toward masculines-- but if women wish to try them, why not?

I think most of us here on BN are not so very rigid about gender categorization of fragrances anyway.

For that matter, if I have leftover men's samples to offer (from my husband's stash), I'll offer them here instead of on the thread on the female forum.
    I think 30Roses makes a vailid point gentelemen. Some of the BN ladies might like to sample some more masculine scents or offer samples of their own and should be allowed to participate in our "Free To A Good Home" or whatever you want to call it. I have wanted to try some more femme frags and was welcomed in the ladies forum. Tit for Tat.

- - - Updated - - -

Marketplace rules:

USA only.

Batch 1: CLAIMED

Batch 2:
    Thanks for starting things rolling Roses! You are so kind!

I have a small lot to pass along. USA only please!

Guerlain Coriolan (small decant)
    Eau de Guerlain (small decant)
    Portrait of a Lady (sample)

What a mix, huh?? Anyone who hasn't had a chance to try these yet? Found a home.
    Last edited by Genie Jeanie; 7th October 2012 at 07:16 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

To the Moderator,

Is it just samples or can it be bottles as well?

Blog Entries

I have a ton of samples I don't want...as soon as I figure out all these rules and can/can't do things, I'll list them.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Blog Entries

Just subscribing to the thread ....

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Not so complicated, really...list it for free and you're good. On the ladies thread we give away bottles too.

As stuigi pointed out, sooner or later when you accept someone else's offer, the free shipping comes back to benefit you.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 8th October 2012 at 12:01 AM.

1. Ladies are of course welcome
    2. NO bottles
    3. NO requests as stated- that is reserved for the marketplace board with requirements
    4. Offering 10 samples but allowing one per person is one's prerogative (obviously more shipping costs)

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    1. Ladies are of course welcome
    2. NO bottles
    3. NO requests as stated- that is reserved for the marketplace board with requirements
    4. Offering 10 samples but allowing one per person is one's prerogative (obviously more shipping costs)
    Is there a reason why people can't offer bottles they no longer want? Would that just fall into the marketplace area? Cause, to be honest, the 500 posts thing is going to keep some people from being able to unload bottles via BN. As I've said before, it doesn't really apply to me, I'm just curious.

Enforcement of the marketplace rules and requirements has succeeded(with few exceptions as compared to the early years of Basenotes) in protecting members from losing large amounts of money in bottle sales or swaps.

Enforcement of the marketplace rules and requirements has succeeded(with few exceptions as compared to the early years of Basenotes) in protecting members from losing large amounts of money in bottle sales or swaps.
    That makes sense, but if it's free, how could someone get screwed out of money? Sure, a bottle may cost an extra dollar to ship versus some samples, but I'm not seeing the overlap between preventing fraud in the marketplace and the lack of bottle gifting in this thread.

Free bottle offers here could easily turn into swap offers. It sets a precedent for doing so outside the marketplace swap board. This is the way the marketplace was set up and there is no reason to change it. PM me if you wish to discuss it further.

Blog Entries

Free bottle offers here could easily turn into swap offers. It sets a precedent for doing so outside the marketplace swap board. This is the way the marketplace was set up and there is no reason to change it. PM me if you wish to discuss it further.
    So there are two different rules. One for women and One for men?? They give away whole bottles.

I will discuss this with the other mods. I have some serious concerns about this. Stay tuned.

This is all going to end in tears, I tell ya.

We girls never have a problem giving away. It's the requesting part that seems to be the turning point. Just offer and then a taker arrives happily. I think it must be if there is any possibility of someone getting unhappy over something wonderfully nice. Swaps are two way and giving is one way only.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I just assumed about the bottles, since we ladies have done it on our thread for some time now without any problem.

But guys, the reason it has worked on the ladies' forum is precisely because it is a free gift with no strings attached, no expectation of compensation.

That sort of generosity is the engine that drives our thread; it creates good will and more generosity. Once you start expecting something in return, it's dead. Just saying!

Edit: mumsy and I think alike!

Default Re: Men's sample GIVEAWAY thread

ok- Please see the thread title name change and revised rules in the first post! We will allow free samples and bottles to be given away on the men's board on a trial basis. The thread will be carefully watched. Once again, no requests please.

How do I distinguish between a sample and a decant? Can I give away decants?

And what if I don't like the person who has requested my samples? Can I wait for someone else to come along?

Can I trade sex for samples?

Whenever generosity of time and fragrance are concerned, heavy regulation must be defined and enforced. Otherwise who knows what chaos will ensue? Next thing you know, I might even split more than one bottle at a time!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Good grief, Brian!

BTW your avatar is a scream!

Good grief, Brian!

BTW your avatar is a scream!
    Satire aside, I've been giving away samples to BN members by the truckload. Does that really need rules, too? Giving things away needs to have rules? I have to say it twice because it's hard to believe.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I think we all give away stuff behind the scenes, Brian. The other ladies and I do for sure and no doubt many of you men do as well.

I think what the mods are trying to avoid is a situation where a gesture intended to create community and goodwill becomes something else, something that makes people upset with each other.

If everyone minds their manners it can work.

Having observed the general interaction of Basenotes members for many years, it is quite obvious that the guys behavior leaves much to be desired as compared to the ladies, particularly where sales and swaps are concerned. As there are 5+ times as many male threads as there are from the ladies and 3-4 times as many male posts, the number of male caused marketplace type issues is far greater than those proportions. Maybe 100 to 1 or more. So yes, it will be watched and yes, decants may be given away.

PS- this is not an open forum for outing bad swappers or any other topic as several such posts were just deleted.
    Last edited by stuigi; 8th October 2012 at 01:32 AM.

That's great Stuigi. I'm glad Grant gave you the green light permission allowed you to do this. Good job.

To celebrate I'm going to share carded samples of :
    Ambre Sultan
    Sables
    Myrrhe Ardente
    Timbuktu
    AlOudh

for swap/sale:

Im trying to clear out some much needed space in my frag closet so Ill offer up these Blind Buys gone bad:

Bijan Pour Homme-Claimed
    Tsar(ribbed bottle)-Claimed
    Quorum-Claimed
    I-12-Claimed
    Curve Crush + aftershave & deodorantClaimed

Two bottle max per member please! Also note, I will be shipping the cheapest way possible, no priority mail or tracking info. Lets try to keep it in N. America, but if shipping is low enough I would consider locations beyond. Bottle will be safe and secure.
    Last edited by FullCollapse; 15th October 2012 at 03:42 AM.

Sweet! I would love to get in on it , thanks for setting this up Stuigi ...

I have two designer sample packs to give away.

1) Kenneth Cole Signature x2 , and Burberry Brit x2 GONE
    2) Baldessarini Del Mar x2 , Nautica Aqua Rush x2 GONE

Lets keep it within the lower 48 please. thanks!
    Last edited by Brenster; 12th October 2012 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    That's great Stuigi. I'm glad Grant gave you the green light permission allowed you to do this. Good job.

To celebrate I'm going to share carded samples of :
    Ambre Sultan
    Sables
    Myrrhe Ardente
    Timbuktu
    AlOudh

all gone

that was quick

for swap/sale:

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post

lmfao!!!!
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

And what if I don't like the person who has requested my samples? Can I wait for someone else to come along?

Whenever generosity of time and fragrance are concerned, heavy regulation must be defined and enforced. Otherwise who knows what chaos will ensue? Next thing you know, I might even split more than one bottle at a time!
    Yes

No

Yes ()

Only regarding the above.

Come on show a bit of initiative.
    It should be quite clear that trading sex for samples is perfectly acceptable within the regulations of the thread. (As long as it is only man on man sex. If women want to jump on the bandwagon the thread will have to be moved from Male Fragrance Discussion and you can imagine how complicated that could get.

Blog Entries

I am glad this finally got set up. I have asked several times for this, and it always got shot down. STUIGI- You did a great job of walking the tightrope and figuring this out...Thanks. Sometimes if I happen to see a frag. that I have, listed in someone's "to test" or "want" list in their wardrobe, I P.M. them and offer a free sample, so keep your lists up to date!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brenster View Post
    Sweet! I would love to get in on it , thanks for setting this up Stuigi ...

I have two designer sample packs to give away.

1) Kenneth Cole Signature x2 , and Burberry Brit x2
    2) Baldessarini Del Mar x2 , Nautica Aqua Rush x2

Lets keep it within the lower 48 please. thanks!
    Shipping doesn't cost any more to AK and HI. we are part of the US

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Come on show a bit of initiative.
    It should be quite clear that trading sex for samples is perfectly acceptable within the regulations of the thread. (As long as it is only man on man sex. If women want to jump on the bandwagon the thread will have to be moved from Male Fragrance Discussion and you can imagine how complicated that could get.
    Oh, alright then..... without any of the the forementioned....who would like a sample of:-

Tom Ford - White patchouli = GONE
    Tom Ford - Santal Blush = GONE

Both sprays, with a squirt or two gone.

- - - Updated - - -

That was quick on the draw... I will have a rummage for some more things...
    Last edited by mumsy; 8th October 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-imental View Post
    But ground shipping is only available to the lower 48.

Technically the USPS says perfumes can only go by ground, and some BNers stick to that. I will send bubble mailers with samples by air, as our local P.O. seems to be okay with it, but I have even received samples shipped by ground from some members.

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-imental View Post
    If it doesn't cost alot to ship to AK and HI then no prob. I just assumed it would. If you want the samples let me know I would be glad to send them to you.

Brenster: Sent you a PM. This is a great idea!! Glad this is up and running. I'll definitely have some samples to pass along.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Fullcollapse just sent you a pm I'm realy excited about this thread, I love to donate

Subscribing.
    Last edited by TeenfragGent; 12th October 2012 at 09:50 PM.

I have to get organized but I should have some samples to post in the next week or two.

I have samples of:

Jasmin Rouge Tom Ford
    Santal Blush Tom Ford

Memoir Man Amouage for men
    The Library Collection Opus IV Amouage
    Dark Aoud Montale
    Terre d`Hermes Parfum

A Taste of Heaven By Kilian
    Back to Black By Kilian
    Beyond Love By Kilian
    Straight to Heaven By Kilian

Thanks for everybody's participation. All samples are gone.
    Last edited by yuyu15; 10th October 2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: All samples gone

Sent a pm yuyu.

I have a new 15 ml bottle of Kenneth Cole Vintage Black. Nice little travel size bottle.

I'd like it to go to someone in the U.S. only, sorry!

claimed
    Last edited by kalli; 9th October 2012 at 11:50 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

Also sent a PM, hopefully the ones I want are still available.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brenster View Post
    If it doesn't cost alot to ship to AK and HI then no prob. I just assumed it would. If you want the samples let me know I would be glad to send them to you.
    I didn't want the samples. I just wanted to express how AK and HI are often excluded, despite the fact that we do have ground shipping available to here, according to my source. I always ship my fragrances to the lower 48 via airmail thereby breaking their ridiculous rules. If it's ok for stewardesses to sell us duty free fragrances in the cabin, and we are allowed frags in our checked luggage, despite the obvious huge risk this poses to the safety of the airplane, then i don't understand why we cannot send our packages too.
    As an example of the ridiculous shipping rules, my husband today attempted to order 2 lightbulbs online, that weren't in Lowes or Home Depot, the cost of the bulbs was 12 dollars: shipping was quoted at 108.50, or 195.84 for next day delivery. Needless to say, we'll stay "in the dark"
    Sorry to go off on a shipping rant tangent, but there I am claiming shipping doesn't cost any more to send here, when retailers target us mercilessly. I do apologise.

Hi Everyone

I would like to offer the following four sample packages.

1.GONE
    Zadig & Voltaire pour homme(1.5 ml)
    Balderessini Ambre(1.5ml)
    Armani Prive Ambre Soie(2 ml)
    Bond No 9 Saks Fifth Ave. for him(2 ml)

2.GONE
    Agonist Black Amber(2 ml)
    Dunhill EDT(4 mls)
    Les Nez Let me play the lion(2 ml)
    Ungaro-1,2,3all are original formulations (1.5ml each)

3.GONE
    Comme des garcons Vetiver (2.5 ml)
    L'Artisan Al Oudh (1.5 ml)
    MFK Amyris pour homme (2 ml)
    Patricia de Nicolai New York (3.5 ml)

4.GONE
    MDCI Amber Topkapi (4 mls)
    Dunhill EDT (10 mls)
    Etro Gomma (4 mls)
    Ortigia Sicilia Ambre Nera (5 mls)

Well everythings been spoken for. Thanks for showing an interest.
    All parcels have been mailed 12/10/12
    Regards Rex
    Last edited by trex57; 12th October 2012 at 03:56 PM.
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

Default Re: Men's GIVEAWAY thread

I'll have some samples up in the next two weeks or so I think.
    Last edited by ChiefWiggum; 12th October 2012 at 07:41 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

Subscribing

Also subscribing

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

CLAIMED by ChiefWiggum

While tidying recently I came across some spray samples, decanted last year from Penhaligon's tester bottles, that I'd misplaced.

Free to anyone in the USA:

Samples in varying amounts of: Elixer, Racquets Formula, Endymion, Quercus, Opus 1870 and Hammam Bouquet (very little remaining of that one.)

update:
    Mailed Friday 10/12
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 16th January 2013 at 02:55 AM.

I'll be offering some samples in a couple of weeks.

I have a variety of Slumberhouse samples (Jeke, Norne, Grev, Vikt, etc.) if someone would like to try those.

CLAIMED
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 12th October 2012 at 07:46 PM.

Maybe this is a weird question, but what's the honorable thing to do feedback-wise? Are those who claim a freebie expected to leave positive "seller" feedback to the BNer who offered and shipped the frag? Or do we just leave it alone since it's a freebie?
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan