Code of Conduct

Default Determining Authenticity.

hey guys !
    ive recently being limiting my purchases but am on the lookout to buy some new perfumes.
    the thing is in my country (india) there are various ways to buy em, officially ofcourse, not in box pieces and the gray market.
    i used to buy from this shop earlier when i notice that perfume bottles use to be accurate to the detail buit the fragrance inside used to always be different( i use to always sample before purchasing)
    now theres this new guy i brought from whose bottles are sooo acurate i dont think there's anything off and the just smelt just fine to me.
    that day i brought an issey miyake intense and chanel allure homme sport from him, for about 23$ and 29$ approx (his prices are all around this range) but when i smelt them, both were wayy different from what i remember, but bottles were exact !
    i asked him about it, as he offers cash back, he returned my money back and told me something really surprising, we also deal in "firsts" if you know what i mean.
    referring to first copies ofcourse, but this got me thinking, are there grades of copies in perfumes like there are grades of imitation watches ?
    if thats the case then a good copy woukd be impossible to distinguish, as the smell would also be very accurate !
    any proffesionals dealing in perfumes can enlighten me ?
    also, if im purchasing a tester, and i dont get the tester box(white one with matching serial), if only tester not for sale is printed or there are any sort of tester markings, is it safe to buy such bottles ?
    because i doubt fakers would fake a bottle and try to sell it as a tester.

so know i wanted to purchase versace eau fraiche and bvlgari extreme.
    theres this shop near my place that deals in without bill perfumes (grey market im assuming), what im wondering is if these guys are producing such good not in box replicas, there must definately be boxed replicas as well !
    bottomline is, in a gray market perfume, do the serial on the box and bottle match ?
    is this a good way to determine authenticity (obviously the smell will be the best way)
    is there any other way you can look at a box and say about the authenticity as such places will never take back their goods.
    also im in india, so could you sugest a good place for puchasing online that ships to india for bvlgari extreme and versace eau fraiche ?

Thanks and have a good day

Default Re: Determinng Authenticity

from what you have said the only thing I can say is that I think you are right that nobody bothers faking testers, so I would feel happy to buy an unboxed tester (I don't care about anything but the scent really, though I admit some bottles are beautiful)

I've seen more fake testers than anything else, probably because they don't have to make good caps and boxes. It seems like caps are hard to make right for some reason. It sounds like you should buy from authorized dealers in your area if you want the popular fragrances . Another thing is to buy 50 ml or 30 ml sizes because those are rarely if ever faked.

Default Re: Determining Authenticity.

Never heard of "firsts", although I wouldn't doubt that fakes are graded- I went through a phase of deliberately buying fakes to examine the bottles, the packaging, the juice, etc, and found some really good fakes, and some hilariously bad fakes. Always trust your nose- some of the more simple bottles are replicated almost perfectly, and without smelling, it's tough to tell.

As for testers, a few months ago, I would have said that you're probably safe. That was until I got a bottle of AdG as a tester from ebay (bad idea, I know, but I figured 'testers' would be relatively safe). When I sprayed it, it smelled very similar to the generic alcohol-and-cheap-aromachemicals I got from a fake Chanel AHS from about a year ago. So I took to Youtube to get closeup vids of authentic bottles. My bottle looked 100% spot-on- it was frosted just right, the text on the bottle was exact in every way, and there was even the printing *inside* the box, just like the original. Imprinted code on the box matched the bottle. But... that smell... I sprayed once more that evening just to make sure I wasn't losing it, and yup- definitely not right. I messaged the seller, using the "I'm not sure if you were aware that this is not authentic..." strategy, which worked nicely. He apologized and blamed his supplier. I responded that then he should have no problem refunding my money, and paying for return shipping, which he can recoup from his "supplier" who just sold him fake stuff. He agreed, and refunded my money + shipping costs. I won't name the seller (although if you search "271059479912" on the US ebay site, you might find it ), but the point of the story is that testers are being faked, and being faked well. Nothing is sacred.

Red face Re: Determining Authenticity.

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    hey guys !
    that day i brought an issey miyake intense and chanel allure homme sport from him, for about 23$ and 29$ approx (his prices are all around this range) but when i smelt them, both were wayy different from what i remember, but bottles were exact !

bottomline is, in a gray market perfume, do the serial on the box and bottle match ?
    is this a good way to determine authenticity (obviously the smell will be the best way)
    is there any other way you can look at a box and say about the authenticity as such places will never take back their goods.
    also im in india, so could you sugest a good place for puchasing online that ships to india for bvlgari extreme and versace eau fraiche ?
    Hey fraghead... Even I am from India and on a hunt to find some good cheap places to buy authentic juices. So far my attempts have been partially successful. I am taking chances and willing to bear small losses till I find a good source.
    I come from a small but very developed town. Here, i can get my hands on many colognes but they are all in a sealed pack and its not possible for me to open them to check for matching serial numbers on the box and the bottle.
    Online, my first attempt was yebhi.com. That was sheer disappointment. I ordered a paco for approx $23 (rs 1200) and it was horrible. Even with no return policy for fragrances, the store readily agreed for replacement of the cologne. Sadly, I got gift vouchers instead of money.
    My second attempt was on ebay from a person in Mumbai. I guess we are both talking of the same person here. I contacted him personally before ordering and made it very clear that I recognize my fragrances and to send it only if its genuine. However, my Acqua di Gio (unboxed) arrived but it was outright fake. The frosted bottle was immaculate, but the juice inside was terrible. It smelt alcohol and more alcohol. If it was a watered down version or a slightly better fake, there was no way to tell it from the original. The dealer was very accommodating and readily agreed to change the fragrance. He even said he would send me a boxed piece, but could not send the same cologne as it was way more expensive. Finally he bore his losses and send a boxed piece of Davidoff. The juice is excellent, the serial number on the box matches the bottle and there are no particles floating around. Overall, it turned out to be a good deal as I got approx $50 (rs 3000) cologne for $23.
    He was excellent to deal with and met the expectation I had set for him. Message me if you want his phone number, he would definitely give the best rates by contacting him personally.
    Finally, I have ordered from strawberrynet yesterday. The order status says its already dispatched . I shall update here on the quality as well as shipping delays and customs clearance.

Another thing to consider here is to get hold of good imitation colognes instead of cheap (fake) designer ones. I have tried a couple of imitations most of them were pathetic, but this one called designer imposters were bloody good. Couple of them I even found better than the originals. Unfortunately, we dont get them here in India and none of the stores ship them to India. Here on basenotes, I have also read up on Cuba, they have a good collection of imitation fragrances and they are available in India too . A post by karlochacon here lists out the similarities.

Lastly, I dont think there is a way to tell the authenticity of the fragrance just by looking at the box.

Good luck hunting. Please update if you find a good source.

Chanel does not sell testers or sell regular bottles of fragrances wholesale to anyone other than their own boutiques and authorized department stores. So if you are buying any Chanel from a wholesaler or distributor, you are inevitably buying a fake fragrance. Keep this in mind, if your seller is offering fake Chanel fragrances, chances are their other fragrances are probably also fake.
    Perfumes are the souls of flowers...