Code of Conduct

Default Updating wardrobe

Okay...so, I'll be 34 soon. My whole life, I've been a t-shirt and jeans guy. I've liked this look. I've never had to worry about what's trendy...t-shirt and jeans always work. Weekends: t-shirts and sweats. Work (I'm a teacher): polos and either khakis or black slacks. I'm a "sporty" guy...so everyone says I look stuffy and uncomfortable in a shirt and tie. I know part of style is how you feel...and I DO feel uncomfortable in a shirt and tie. My t-shirts are broken into three categories: sports teams, rock band tees, and tees for the school I work at. I'm 6"1', 185 pounds...and I've lost about 40 pounds in the last 15 months. I prefer XL shirts (even polos) because I like my clothes being loose.

Basically...I'm tired of still dressing like I'm 20. SO...I'm trying to update my wardrobe. Obviously, this is a long-term project due to time and the funds of a teacher. Another problem, however, is that when it comes to shopping, I'm very limited. Honestly, Macys is the "best" store anywhere near me (Chicago is a good three hours away), and even their selection isn't the best. How do I shop for sizes, colors, what's comfortable, deals, etc when the selection isn't near me?
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Default Re: Updating wardrobe

There's really no substitute for trying things on, so you have to make the most of whatever trip you take to a big town.

That said, Macy does have a decent selection, and you can wait for sales after christmas or in june/july. Discounters can be good sources too, if you have any nearby (Marshalls, TJMaxx or the like). They're very hit and miss, usually there's not much but then once in a while there's that one nice thing or that one pair of shoe. Even better would be discounters like Nordstrom rack, Loehmann's or Century 21, but I think these exist only in big towns.

cacio

The problem is that I have family in Chicago--specifically a niece and nephew--so when we DO go there, it's to see them. There MAY be a Marshalls nearby, but I can't think of where it is--may have to check on that. None of the others are close. We have a small Men's Warehouse, but 99 percent of it is suits...of which I don't need, nor do I have the funds for. I guess I can play at Macys to get started, and see where it takes me from there.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Macy's has a decent selection. Calvin Klein, International Inc. Kenneth Cole etc. Go in a look over the clearance racks first. You will probably find some nice stuff for cheap. Dillards is another store with a nice selection. JC Penny's to a lesser extent. I am from the Midwest (Indiana) originally and I remember they had JC Penny's everywhere. Since you are not looking for expensive Designer stuff any of these stores will be ok. And if you confident of your size, you can shop online and find deals although I like buying in person.

JCPenney is where I used to go all the time, but as I've aged, I've become less enchanted with their selection for a variety of reasons. Silverbullet...I'll check it out when I have some more time. Thanks!!

I am not the biggest JC Penny's fan either. But they do now carry Claiborne apparel which has always been a favorite of mine and usually has some very nice mid to low range priced shirts and pants.

Trying on clothes is the best way. Though if you can find out your general measurements and what fits well ordering online also becomes a possible option.

Obviously sometimes you have to return some items, but if you don't have anything close to you this is a great option. Try to only stop at places that have free returns though, since this way you don't lose out on shipping costs if something doesn't fit.

If you don't know your measurements, I'd recommend buying some things in a store first then looking up online by the retailer/brand size chart. You can then compare it to other things you are interested in purchasing.

If you aren't interested in online shopping, I'd recommend just hoarding some money on the side when you can make it to a place with a nice selection of stores.
    Expect the unexpected.