Code of Conduct

Default Frederic Malle for men

Greetings,

I'm wondering what are considered the most male-friendly, or unisex, fragrances in the Malle line.
    I'm curious, specifically, about Une Fleur du Cassie, Portrait of a Lady, Carnal Flower, and Musc Ravageur.
    I've previously owned Leau D'hiver as well as Bigarade Concentree but I'm looking for something more floral that would suit a man. I'm in my 20s.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Banned

Default Re: Frederic Malle for men

Two, which I own and enjoy, are:

Une Fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle - Upon application, one is treated to a rapturous array of florals; the inspiration of which is mind-blowing. Cassie, with its somewhat green, sweetish and ever so slightly powdery facets, mimosa, with its woody, toothsome, flowery character, carnation, with its intense spiciness, and an indolic jasmine, with its heightened decay, all march through the stepped phases of the birth and death of poignant floracy. The delicate innocence, the arousing nubility, the fetid rot, all present. Transitioning to waiting heart, a fascinating melange of a faintly soapy and honeyed rose, the fresh, green sweetness of violet, as well as the fruitiness of apricot, all commingle and lift the versatile cassie. A musty and sour clove as well as a sensual and sweat-like cumin dirty the mixture with their illusion of body odor and secretions. Magical aldehydes enliven the brew with their brillance, while bewitching salicylates add their brightening, fabric softener character. Segueing to the awaiting base, a slightly spicy and dry cedar interplays with a smooth and creamy sandalwood, while a sweetly vanillic musk lightly graces their interaction. A polished drydown ensues. Masterfully blended, this paradoxically awesome composition has good projection and very good longevity.

and

Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle - A blast of freshness hits you with the hay-like sweetness of lavender commingling with the zesty citrus of bergamot. This refreshing opening transitions to its middle with the boatload of cloves, imparting a thick, wet earthiness with a faintly sweet dimension. This raises the dark avenue of travel for this composition. As the cloves percolate, a warm, mellow cinnamon with a hint of a civet musk gather steam, and stew with the hearty cloves. The billowing, animalic musk coupled with the extraordinary spices transforms the heart into a rapturous sensuality. Hints of sweetness in the form of vanilla and tonka bean tug at this sexual melange leading it to the captivating base. As the spicy component of the heart fades away, the musk mixes with the tonka bean to give a fleeting chocolate aura drawing it closer to the base. The vanilla and tonka bean envelop the rousing musk and join with a woods backdrop, to wit, balsamic cedarwood, aromatic sandalwood and sweet guiac wood, to give creamy and powdery facets to the mellifluous drydown. This well-blended and complex fragrance has excellent longevity and good projection, after 5-6 hours becoming a skin scent.

May I also suggest that you try:

Iris Poudre by Frederic Malle - Upon application, one is treated to beautiful and understated wafts of aldehydes, giving a sparkly dimension to the lemony magnolia, the fruity ylang-ylang and the tutti-fruti jasmine. Drifting to the waiting middle, a regal iris overtakes the brilliance of the aldehydes, and infuses its violet-like sweetness and verdancy to the fore. The standoffish iris is lightly dusted with the powderiness of the magical aldehydes. An earthy and somewhat green undertone is provided by stalwart vetiver. Transitioning to the awaiting base, creamy sandalwood, spicy tonka bean and sweet vanilla encase the lustrous iris, and lead to a handsome and easy drydown. This exquisite, unisex composition is a skin scent, as far as projection is concerned; however, the longevity, 8-9 hours, is good.

It's interesting because I'd seen a thread here before that spoke of a 'sampler' set Malle was selling which distinguished between male and female scents from the range. Having not tried Cassie, only read about it, I was disappointed to see that it was listed as 'female.' I wonder how feminine it is, though, in contrast to something like D'hiver....

Quote Originally Posted by LipsMahoney View Post
    Greetings,

I'm wondering what are considered the most male-friendly, or unisex, fragrances in the Malle line.
    I'm curious, specifically, about Une Fleur du Cassie, Portrait of a Lady, Carnal Flower, and Musc Ravageur.
    I've previously owned Leau D'hiver as well as Bigarade Concentree but I'm looking for something more floral that would suit a man. I'm in my 20s.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    You will not be disappointed with PoaL. GET IT!

Carnal Flower is breathtaking, but VERY floral, you will need to be comfortable smelling like that.

UFdC is great too, not as bad as Carnal Flower, but still pretty floral, though a man could easily pull it off. Do sample it first

Most people here wouldn't care about whom the perfume is marketed to, and I think most Malles are suitable for men as well. Most people wouldn't tell the difference by smell only. So if you like it, wear it.

That said, in terms of stereotypical profiles, Carnal Flower is a big tuberose, a flower usually employed in perfumes marketed to women. Fleur de Cassie is a classical, slightly animalic floral, again, perhaps more stereotypically feminine than Eau d'Hiver, but slightly so, and certainly less emasculating than Carnal Flower. Portrait of a lady has intense patch and synthetics, and smell-wise is actually more traditionally masculine than feminine. Another floral in the line to consider is Lys Mediterranee, which is a combination of white florals like lily (traditionally feminine) and aquatic notes (very masculine). If you like aquatics (I don't) it can pass for a high quality aquatic vastly better than most aquatics offered in the for-men market.

cacio

Musc Ravageur

French Lover is the most masculine. Musc Ravageur is perfect unisex.

Basenotes Junkie

Geranium Pour Monsieur-A lot of mint, but a lot more geranium. It's a great frag that is completely unisex but I feel it does different things on a man and different things on a woman. Great stuff!!

Sound Scents

Portrait of a Lady would be my first choice, but Une Fleur de Cassie is also a superb choice, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Vétiver Extraordinaire is very masculine.

if you are looking for floral go for Portrait of a Lady, I have Musc Ravageur in my top 5 though.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    French Lover is the most masculine. Musc Ravageur is perfect unisex.
    +1 ...

All good choices, but you say you're looking for something more floral, and there's nothing floral about Musc Ravageur. Still a great scent, though.

You are on the total opposite end of the spectrum from me! haha

I sampled Carnal Flower and Portrait of a Lady and found them purely feminine. Great scents but a scent I did not want on myself.

I think Carnal Flower, Portrait of a Lady, and Musc Ravageur might be my favorite FM fragrances (in this line, that says a lot).

I think any guy can easily pull off PoaL or MR. Concern over wearing these should revolve around their terrifying potency rather than their perceived masculine or feminine attributes.

Carnal Flower is so beautiful. Is it male-friendly? No, no - most certainly not. Is it fantastic? Most definitely. And so shall you be rewarded, should you brave the floral waters.

Quote Originally Posted by LipsMahoney View Post
    floral that would suit a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    Geranium Pour Monsieur
    The name says it all, really

Banned

Musc Ravageur and Portrait of A Lady.

For what it's worth, I find Carnal Flower quite similar to Creed's Windsor (which many men here on Basenotes wear). They are variations on a common theme that pairs eucalyptus and hespiridic notes with tuberose. Windsor is slightly greener while Carnal Flower is unabashedly floral, but both share a similar and absolutely gorgeous rendition of tuberose.

I bought Carnal Flower for my wife and I love it on her, but I've worn it several times and don't find it at all too feminine.