Code of Conduct

Default Lily: Un Lys vs Lys Méditerranée

I am looking for a lily fragrance that can be worn by males, especially in a hot/humid climate. It seems Serge Lutens and Frederic Malle have come up with two gorgeous scents. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to sample them yet as they are not available where I live.

Any advice - which one is 'better'?

Or if you have any other suggestions for lily fragrances, thank you so much
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lily: Un Lys vs Lys Méditerranée

These are both beautiful lily scents; hard to say which is "better", as they are quite different interpretations. Un Lys is sweeter, creamier & headier, whereas Lys Med is cooler, saltier & slightly greener. Of the two, l would say Lys Med is probably more wearable for a man.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I haven't smell Lys Méditerranée so I cannot give option on that. I do wear Un Lys for a couple of times from a sample though. To me it is not very remarkable, open with a realistic floral note (do not smell much like lily to my nose) then quickly dry down to a boring vanilla/clean musk. It does tip toward the feminine side though.

Blog Entries

Can you get Hermès Hermessence Vanille Galante​ where you live? It's basically ylang-ylang and lily.

BTW, if you can find a Penhaligon's boutique from where you live, give Lily & Spice a try. It smells just like lily (the pink one, not the white) and vanilla. I think it is more male friendly than Un Lys

I never pass up a chance to get an up close sniff of stargazers.
    lilies stargazers.jpg

I immediately associated Musc Ravageur with this smell. It was an obvious one and I made quick arrangements to buy a big bottle.

Oddly enough perhaps, only 1 reviewer in 151 made this same association (although I've no idea what type of lily that reviewer was thinking of). Here's the relevant part of Mr. tuffpup29's MR review:
    Received a sample of this in the post but think it must have bee wrongly labeled - I got the most gorgeous smell of one of my favorite flowers, Lilies. So think the must have actually sent me Lys Mediterranee. If not then I must have the weirdest nose...

If you have not already sampled MR in this regard, I believe you should.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 25th November 2012 at 06:49 PM.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Club Aficionado by Jeanne Arthes

As others have said, Lys Mediterranee is definitely the freshest and more masculine of the two. It is a beautiful, realistic lily over a slightly salty, marine background. It does indeed have a mediterranean vibe. While it is not itself a marine, it does have some marine notes in the background, so you must be comfortable with them. But if you are, there's no better lily.

cacio

Thank you, all. Great suggestions! I will try to hunt down samples since it seems to be necessary to smell the fragrances.
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As others have said, Lys Mediterranee is definitely the freshest and more masculine of the two. It is a beautiful, realistic lily over a slightly salty, marine background. It does indeed have a mediterranean vibe. While it is not itself a marine, it does have some marine notes in the background, so you must be comfortable with them. But if you are, there's no better lily.

cacio
    I agree 100%.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson