Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: AMen Pure Leather??

I COMPLETELY disagree that the drydown is the same as the original.

Finally got a chance to sample this at Nordstroms ... not that I was rushing to try it anyway. But even though I never wore the original much, I can appreciate why it's one of the best selling men's fragrances. Pure Leather is basically a castrated version of A*Men original. The drydown is so bad it's even hard to explain. It's like they removed the best parts of the original and left the worst of it. The best I can compare this to is when they released the original DK Fuel (some of you old timers may remember) which I still find amazing, then a while later release DK Unleaded where they removed the "fuel resin" note which is really what made Fuel great. What's left, as in Pure Leather, is what smells like an "unfinished" product.

I hope this isn't the direction Mugler is headed because Taste of Fragrance isn't bad, but the last two (PS and PL) have been completely pointless ... IMHO.

This is gross. It makes me
    Want to puke

Pure Feces.
    If you like the "idea" then stick with the original A*Men; which smells similar to Pure Leather, but lacks some horrid scent that pure leather seems to give off.
    Last edited by MikeJ; 24th November 2012 at 05:24 AM.

Leather is present here just for a very short time. After 5 min. ,when I walked out the store ,was gone . After that is just AMen, a disappointment just like Pure Shot.

I did not get any leather, however I was very surprised that the opening has this incense vibe similar to CDG Avignon. Dry down is definitely a weaker version of A*Men.

I'm not sure if you guys who say that Pure Leather is similar to A*Men have given it a proper skin test or not because I've worn Pure Leather multiple times and I think it is very different from the original, way more different than Pure Coffee & Pure Malt (Pure Havane & Taste of Fragrance don't count here since Havane is a total different scent scent with little similarity to the original & Taste is a spin off of Havane)

When Pure Leather hits the skin, I can smell the cherry vibe of Malt as well as the chocolate powder.

And 5 minutes later, the chocolate turns into...well...leather. The leather is strong, polished, salty and luxurious. It is like you open a new leather or should I say suede wallet and put your nose directly to it. The A*Men vibe, the sweetness is very faint just to keep the leather smell from unwearable.

After 2.5 hrs the chocolate/caramel sweetness begins to takes over. The scent hits its drydown. The drydown reminds me of the drydown of Malt more than A*Men. However, instead of having a powdery quality like cacao powder like Malt, Leather doesn't smell powdery at all, it is syrupy

The leather/suede note in Pure Leather might be off putting but the scent is definitely not a weaker version of A*Men

The feedback on this scent reminds me a lot of how Pure Havane was bashed for smelling similar to Malt while it first came out when it is truly not
    Last edited by jasonx; 24th November 2012 at 02:42 PM.

I love it and I received a Massive amount of compliments from my sample...if that matters to people anymore lol. Will purchase before it's too late.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

To me it is between original and malt. They all have the original drydown. I cannot see the purpose of having more than one of any of them. Buy malt and be done.

Changed my mind on this one...I must have had a cold when I sampled it.

Superb. An improvement over the original.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

I get amen vibe with anise galore. Really not in to it at all.

I like Pure Leather very much. I am a big fan of A*Men and totally agree with the others who have said it is not as close to the original as some people think. I also agree it is easier to wear Pure Leather in warmer weather. I'm glad I have my bottle

PURE HAVANE, fyi, should be back in the stores very soon. I know that most Macy's will have it. It is being re-released as a special edition 3.4oz for $89. I loved the opening of PH, but the longevity was very sub par for me. I'm looking forward to trying this one again and will more than likely snag a bottle when I can
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post
    PURE HAVANE, fyi, should be back in the stores very soon. I know that most Macy's will have it. It is being re-released as a special edition 3.4oz for $89. I loved the opening of PH, but the longevity was very sub par for me. I'm looking forward to trying this one again and will more than likely snag a bottle when I can
    Thx 4 the info abt the re-release of Pure Havane, eagerly awaiting it...Agree that Amen & their Cuir are not close, atleast IMO, except for their common sweetness.

Cuir is a very different take on leather parfums. While my go to leather is & always will be Knize 10 & I enjoy the more darker smoky animalic leathers (Or Black, Tuscan Leather, Mona di Orio's Cuir & Cuir Mauresque etc), Amen Parfum de Cuir is the sweetest leather IMO, with its little animalic side that shows up some days and doesn't on others on me. I surprised myself by buying this, but do enjoy it, however I keep it only for colder weather...
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Just tried it at Macy's...started off with a fake leather scent, dried down to A*Men...Wouldn't waste my money...for that Matter Pure Malt is a waste too. Don't get me wrong, I like A*Men and own a bottle, just the flankers are worthless