Code of Conduct

Default AMen Pure Leather??

Sorry if this was discussed earlier, but I just saw Pure Leather on Thierry's website and its the newest one I heard since Pure Shot and Pure Chili (both which sucked big time I thought). How does Pure Leather smell? Any likes? Is it "better" than Pure Malt?

Thoughts or so would be appreciated, or if someone can post previous threads about this here since I couldn't find any! Thanks in advance

Default Re: AMen Pure Leather??

Pure Leather smells like a shoe store. That sweet/plastic/shoe leather smell mixed with the original Amen. Less tar and patchouli.

Basically just imagine wearing Amen in a shoe store.

From my understanding it smells very very similar to the original A*Men, yet instead of having the tar note that is in the opening of A*Men it has a smooth leather note.

Not sure if anyone thinks it is better than Pure Malt. Pure Malt and Pure Havane can easily be considered the best out of the A*Men line.

Many say that if you have the original then it is almost no point in getting Pure Leather not unless you are a collector.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baller View Post

Thoughts or so would be appreciated, or if someone can post previous threads about this here since I couldn't find any! Thanks in advance
    Here's a couple of threads:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/308...de-Cuir-(2012)

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/311...-bad-its-good!

Interesting, will TM re-release Pure Malt anytime soon? Is it available anywhere? I only sniffed it once and really liked it.

Blog Entries

As of writing, Pure Malt is still available on the Mugler Store website: http://www.muglerstoreusa.com/A*Men-....html?start=16

Pure Coffee on the other hand is still "discontinued".

Disgustig

I absolutely love Pure Leather. If you didn't like the opening tar note in Angel Men, you might want to give Pure Leather a try. I agree with those that say Pure Leather is quite close to Angel Men, but it is Angel Men done right. Plus, on me, this thing has some insane longevity (even more than Angel Men for some reason).

I'm thinking of getting a backup bottle before they stop selling it.

To me, Pure Leather smells very nice. Glad I own it.

Everyone says it smells too much like the original and I just can't co-sign on that. It doesn't smell like the original at all to me. It smells more like Pure Malt with it's berry sweetness. I like it quite a bit. It's the strongest of the A*Men flankers in terms of projection.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jeightseven View Post
    Pure Leather smells like a shoe store. That sweet/plastic/shoe leather smell mixed with the original Amen. Less tar and patchouli.

Basically just imagine wearing Amen in a shoe store.
    +1. I blind bought a few bottles of this on the hope that it would be to leather what Pure Malt was to malt and Pure Havane was to tobacco. Sadly, it doesn't quite live up to that. It is not bad, it just doesn't smell different enough from the original to justify it as a flanker. Where Pure Malt, Pure Havane, ATOF, and Pure Coffee are quite unique, I find this much closer to the original.

And as a leather fragrance, don't expect a Puredistance M / Royal English Leather type -- but more of a rubber/leather sort of thing (shoe store). I think I like it slightly more than the original, but I was hoping for so much more.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    ..It doesn't smell like the original at all to me. It smells more like Pure Malt with it's berry sweetness..
    +1 to this. ^ ^ ^ ^ I also get the Pure Malt vibe.

Dependent

i didnt not care for it
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    +1. I blind bought a few bottles of this on the hope that it would be to leather what Pure Malt was to malt and Pure Havane was to tobacco. Sadly, it doesn't quite live up to that. It is not bad, it just doesn't smell different enough from the original to justify it as a flanker. Where Pure Malt, Pure Havane, ATOF, and Pure Coffee are quite unique, I find this much closer to the original.

And as a leather fragrance, don't expect a Puredistance M / Royal English Leather type -- but more of a rubber/leather sort of thing (shoe store). I think I like it slightly more than the original, but I was hoping for so much more.
    +1. I am disappointed.

Mine arrived. Will try it soon.

I got the chance to try it last week. Now I was expecting something amazing, and it was just boring. Rather bland in fact!!!!
    DONNA

The problem with this frag as I see it is when I'm in the mood for a leather frag, I won't think of Pure Leather 'cause something about the leather scent they modeled doesn't exactly click with me. And it kinda smells like A*men, which I think I prefer at the moment.

I probably haven't heard more polarized opinions of a fragrance than I have for Pure Leather , for almost every description of what it smells like , there's someone saying the complete opposite.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

The A*Men's sweet synthetic vibe kinda ruin it somewhat a little for me. While it is wearable and smooth, I don't get a strong leather association. More of rubber soles and shoe polish from a mom-and-pop shoe shop.

I'm really looking forward to trying this now! Talk about different takes on what this smells like - I don't know what to expect anymore. I'm pretty new to Mugler's frags, of course I've smelled A*Men lots of times and like it when applied lightly. I've just bought Pure Havane which I think is a 5-Star fragrance - really excellent. I've smelled Pure Coffee, Pure Shot, Mugler Cologne and ATOF but not Pure Malt. You may not like what Mugler does but there's no denying he knows how to create a buzz and put out fragrances unlike any others out there.

Definitely new leather, sweet, and without the original A*Men's tarry opening. The leather note is, as Mugler states, created by soaking leather in the perfume concentrate, a rather unique technique, as traditionally leather scent cannot be extracted from leather and in created by ingredients like Russian birch, juniper, castorium or synthetic substitutes. Here is a creative alternative. After four hours of good silage and projection it moves closer to my skin, as as for longevity is concerned, on my skin it was thirteen hours and counting... Maybe not as unique as Pure Havane and Pure Malt, but still convincing.

Mine arrived yesterday, after I'd seen it all over the high street!

So far, although I like it, I rate it behind PC, PH and possibly TOF personally.

Its a good fragrance in my opinion, but I'm pretty much over it now.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post
    I probably haven't heard more polarized opinions of a fragrance than I have for Pure Leather , for almost every description of what it smells like , there's someone saying the complete opposite.
    It's because it has a little bit of all the amens yet not like any....and it lasts all day!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Tried this earlier today at Macy's.

Top notes are different, but the drydown is mostly unchanged from normal A*Men.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

My take on pure leather with some background info. I like strong, loud, projecting scents (joop, 1 million, polo, xeyrus rouge, fahrenheit, etc). I also like gourmands (rohas, very irresistible to name a few) Even with all of that said, it was not until recently that I bought my first bottle of a men, I couldnt get past the loud, tar, punch you and everyone else in a quarter mile radius of you in your face nuclear blast. It was only when I truly wore it and got to the drydown that I fell in love with a men.
    Fast forward to pure leather. I sprayed this on paper and it had a plastic scent, the smell reminded me of the halloween costumes in a box with the mask you got as a child, no kidding. It turned me off big time, but given that a mens opening did the same to me, I tried some on. I was back the next day to make my purchase. For those of you who find a men too loud but wish you could wear it, this is for you. For those of you who love a men but wouldnt dare wear this at work, or in the summer for fear of being brought up for hate crimes, this is for you. This is not a huge, bold leather fragrance, not at all. It is there, but it is subtle, there but in the background. What the leather does in my opinion, is absorb and soften the notes of the a men base, and add some richness and character. This smells more of caramel, vanilla, a touch of cinnamon, and patchoulli, but all very well blended and in chorus with one another. I do get coffee, but not overpowering or in the forefront as others have noted
    The result is an a men flanker that can be worn everyday in any environment. I still dont know if Id wear this on a scorching summer day, but I can tell you I wore this to the office today and it wore just fine, close enough to the skin not to offend, but plenty of projection for you to enjoy smelling good throughout the day and for everyone else to know you smell good too. Now that I have just found out about the a men flankers, I have to try to sample pure havane and pure malt.
    If A men is the guy with 5 gold chains, 2 gallons of cologne, slicked back hair, pure leather is the guy who is well dressed, confident, bold, but doesnt shove it in your face.

im digging pure leather, but what is all this pure chili talk? ive never heard of amen pure chili?! is it like the amen base with a bell pepper note?

No, its A*Men Taste Of Fragrance, released last year. People refer to it sometimes as Pure Chili, due to its composition.

Argh its so bad imo. I have REALLY REALLY tried to like this and the orginal amen.. But this shit is just so lost one me.. I guess if you yourself like the smell its good cuz it lasts awhile. Although this is not as strong as the orginal I think. Its like not even that I dont like it, its like I dont like it to the point its actually offensive. Like I would not want to be around someone who wore it its so bad lol....

I do like pure havane though, and pure malt is pretty wearable as well. But this is another one I cant do..

EDIT: ok i just sprayed this one on my hand again. And ok seriously this stuff is so nasty to me, everytime I think about this or the orginal amen i seriously question why I got into cologne as a hobby in the first place. It makes me want to stop thats how bad it smells to me lol.
    Last edited by seekritdude; 16th October 2012 at 11:16 PM.

Pure Leather is the very similar to A Men without the strong tar note in the initial spray. If you have A Men, you may not want to get this one (Unless you're a collector). Like A Men, this is a Winter-Fall frag.

I COMPLETELY disagree that the drydown is the same as the original.

Finally got a chance to sample this at Nordstroms ... not that I was rushing to try it anyway. But even though I never wore the original much, I can appreciate why it's one of the best selling men's fragrances. Pure Leather is basically a castrated version of A*Men original. The drydown is so bad it's even hard to explain. It's like they removed the best parts of the original and left the worst of it. The best I can compare this to is when they released the original DK Fuel (some of you old timers may remember) which I still find amazing, then a while later release DK Unleaded where they removed the "fuel resin" note which is really what made Fuel great. What's left, as in Pure Leather, is what smells like an "unfinished" product.

I hope this isn't the direction Mugler is headed because Taste of Fragrance isn't bad, but the last two (PS and PL) have been completely pointless ... IMHO.

This is gross. It makes me
    Want to puke

Pure Feces.
    If you like the "idea" then stick with the original A*Men; which smells similar to Pure Leather, but lacks some horrid scent that pure leather seems to give off.
    Last edited by MikeJ; 24th November 2012 at 05:24 AM.

Leather is present here just for a very short time. After 5 min. ,when I walked out the store ,was gone . After that is just AMen, a disappointment just like Pure Shot.

I did not get any leather, however I was very surprised that the opening has this incense vibe similar to CDG Avignon. Dry down is definitely a weaker version of A*Men.

I'm not sure if you guys who say that Pure Leather is similar to A*Men have given it a proper skin test or not because I've worn Pure Leather multiple times and I think it is very different from the original, way more different than Pure Coffee & Pure Malt (Pure Havane & Taste of Fragrance don't count here since Havane is a total different scent scent with little similarity to the original & Taste is a spin off of Havane)

When Pure Leather hits the skin, I can smell the cherry vibe of Malt as well as the chocolate powder.

And 5 minutes later, the chocolate turns into...well...leather. The leather is strong, polished, salty and luxurious. It is like you open a new leather or should I say suede wallet and put your nose directly to it. The A*Men vibe, the sweetness is very faint just to keep the leather smell from unwearable.

After 2.5 hrs the chocolate/caramel sweetness begins to takes over. The scent hits its drydown. The drydown reminds me of the drydown of Malt more than A*Men. However, instead of having a powdery quality like cacao powder like Malt, Leather doesn't smell powdery at all, it is syrupy

The leather/suede note in Pure Leather might be off putting but the scent is definitely not a weaker version of A*Men

The feedback on this scent reminds me a lot of how Pure Havane was bashed for smelling similar to Malt while it first came out when it is truly not
    Last edited by jasonx; 24th November 2012 at 02:42 PM.

I love it and I received a Massive amount of compliments from my sample...if that matters to people anymore lol. Will purchase before it's too late.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

To me it is between original and malt. They all have the original drydown. I cannot see the purpose of having more than one of any of them. Buy malt and be done.

Changed my mind on this one...I must have had a cold when I sampled it.

Superb. An improvement over the original.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

I get amen vibe with anise galore. Really not in to it at all.

I like Pure Leather very much. I am a big fan of A*Men and totally agree with the others who have said it is not as close to the original as some people think. I also agree it is easier to wear Pure Leather in warmer weather. I'm glad I have my bottle

PURE HAVANE, fyi, should be back in the stores very soon. I know that most Macy's will have it. It is being re-released as a special edition 3.4oz for $89. I loved the opening of PH, but the longevity was very sub par for me. I'm looking forward to trying this one again and will more than likely snag a bottle when I can
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post
    PURE HAVANE, fyi, should be back in the stores very soon. I know that most Macy's will have it. It is being re-released as a special edition 3.4oz for $89. I loved the opening of PH, but the longevity was very sub par for me. I'm looking forward to trying this one again and will more than likely snag a bottle when I can
    Thx 4 the info abt the re-release of Pure Havane, eagerly awaiting it...Agree that Amen & their Cuir are not close, atleast IMO, except for their common sweetness.

Cuir is a very different take on leather parfums. While my go to leather is & always will be Knize 10 & I enjoy the more darker smoky animalic leathers (Or Black, Tuscan Leather, Mona di Orio's Cuir & Cuir Mauresque etc), Amen Parfum de Cuir is the sweetest leather IMO, with its little animalic side that shows up some days and doesn't on others on me. I surprised myself by buying this, but do enjoy it, however I keep it only for colder weather...

Just tried it at Macy's...started off with a fake leather scent, dried down to A*Men...Wouldn't waste my money...for that Matter Pure Malt is a waste too. Don't get me wrong, I like A*Men and own a bottle, just the flankers are worthless