Code of Conduct

Default Vetiver for Teens?

Hi I have Terre d'Hermes and I would really want to try other Vetiver colognes. I read that Guerlain Vetiver is for older people so do you guys have any suggestions for a Vetiver cologne?
    Thanks

Default Re: Vetiver for Teens?

I had no idea that Terre even had vetiver but when I look at the pyramid over at fragrantica, lo-and-behold there it was in the notes. I personally don't smell it in mine. My favorite vetiver so far is probably Vetyvario by Diptyque which is a light vetiver and floral scent. However, I can't say that I'm a big fan yet of vetiver fragrances in general.

For what it's worth I'm older (40's) and I can't stand Guerlain Vetiver.
    Last edited by chili_willi; 4th October 2012 at 04:47 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

I don't have a ton of vetiver-centric frags, but Jo Malone has a pretty good straight up vetiver frag...it doesn't have the greatest longevity, but it's pretty good in my opinion.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

As Chili was saying, Terre d'Hermes does contain vetiver, but it is not primarily a vetiver. Vetiver is fresh, green-grassy, and a touch rooty.

I don't see any problem with the Guerlain Vetiver if you like it. Grey vetiver is also great, and not difficult to find. Another one would be Encre Noire, which is not easy to find but it's not expensive when found.

cacio

I haven't tried Guerlain Vetiver yet. I was going to make a blind purchase but I just found out it was mainly for older folks

Vetiver by Dior

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Vetiver by Dior
    Agree with this. Vetiver by Guerlain is elegant and with a touch of tobacco.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

More simple, versatile, youthful vetivers would include, in my opinion: Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label, Mugler Cologne, Lanvin Vetiver.

Banned

Givenchy Vetyver

I do not think Vetiver is suitable for teens but if you had to go with one then I would say Tom Fords Vetiver would be the choice.

I love Guerlain Vetiver with a passion but it isn't for a teen who wants to blend in with the rest IMO, mainly due to the tobacco note which does date it a bit. The other suggestions above may be more suitable unless you are a confident individual.

Dior - Vetiver and Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver are both excellent choices.

Malizia Uomo Vetyver.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I love Guerlain Vetiver with a passion but it isn't for a teen who wants to blend in with the rest IMO, mainly due to the tobacco note which does date it a bit. The other suggestions above may be more suitable unless you are a confident individual.
    Will the tobacco note smell like cigarettes? Cause that wouldn't be good...

Quote Originally Posted by winterxwind View Post
    Will the tobacco note smell like cigarettes? Cause that wouldn't be good...
    I don't think anyone will think you have been smoking, it isn't that potent, but yes, it is reminiscent of the same tobacco found in cigarettes. This note is a polariser; my advice is to go into any mid- to high-end department store, try 4 or 5 sprays and see how you get on with it and what reactions you get.

If you want something 'safer' try CdG's inexpensive Vettiveru, or the Tom Ford or Givenchy.

Another one for Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford. I love this one.

LOVE Guerlain's Vetiver but for a teen I say Mugler Cologne or Creed Original Vetiver!!

+1 on Grey Vetiver - fruited up and lighter than a lot of others on the market. Also might check out Infusion d'Vetiver - a clean, soapy affair where the vetiver doesn't overpower. It's a similar take on vetiver to Mugler cologne, but I prefer the Prada.

Banned

Try to find:

Vetiver Eau Glacee/Vetiver Frozen by Guerlain - Albeit this flanker of the original Vetiver by Guerlain keeps the vetiver essence as its focus, it is decidedly cooler than the original with the warmer aspects of the original excised and replaced with "cooling agents", so to speak.
    One is initially treated to a minty, citric accord. A pronounced lime combines with orange and bergamot, resulting in a heightened tangy and bittersweet marriage, which is nicely tempered by a herbal mint. A faintly nutty vetiver serves as an undercurrent to this somewhat bracing and green concoction, and flows to the waiting middle. Here, in the heart, the citrus fades, allowing the mint to commingle with a woody and lively pepper as well as a smattering of cinnamon-like nutmeg. A sweetly floral and orangey neroli, with an ephemeral, metallic something, bathes the herbal brew. A muted earthiness and greenness from the vetiver serves as a backdrop. Transitioning to the base, the vetiver comes into its own, highlighting its steamed rice and grassy aura. Tonka bean, with its sweetly vanillic and slightly almondy facets, interplays with the green vetiver. A refreshing drydown ensues. This somewhat refined and fresh scent has good projection and longevity. A masculine, all-season composition, it will, indeed, shine in the warmer weather. This fragrance has a particularly attractive price point for its caliber

&

How about Guerlain Vetiver Extreme as that doesn't have the tobacco note?

Blog Entries

I love TF Grey Vetiver for a clean fresh scent, but today I bought the most delicious and beautiful smoky warm and CHEAP L'Occitane en Provence Eau De Vetyver which is practically half the price of TF. I don't know how you feel about an ambery vetiver, but this is just lovely, especially in cooler weather.

Welcome to BN, from a vetiver-lovin' gal

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I do not think Vetiver is suitable for teens but if you had to go with one then I would say Tom Fords Vetiver would be the choice.
    agree
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

+1 on Vettiveru. Very reasonably priced, light and with a modern facet.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

+1 on Vettiveru. Very reasonably priced, light and with a modern facet.
    +2

Though normally I would say wear whatever makes you happy and don't worry about such things. If you do want to play it safe though this is a good scent.

I recommend Prada Infusion d'Homme. It is a white, soapy, clean vetiver that smells of finest soap. It has outstanding longevity and is a very lovely scent.