Code of Conduct

Default Oud oil from hermitage.

Has anybody else tried this oil? Or will vouch for this company? Particularly, anyone with experience of this and other ouds?
    I have several ouds from trusted sources. This oud is very different...
    Any thoughts?
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Default Re: Oud oil from hermitage.

I bought from them and I was satisfied. Hermitage is a well known and trusted supplier among Basenotes DIYers. I think Adam, the owner, is a member of the forum too, maybe he could answer about his oud's origin.
    Just for the record what do you mean it's different? In which way?
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist

That is good to hear. Are you familiar with other ouds?
    This oud has a much lower intensity of smell, it has a less complex smell and its endurance is very low compared to other pure oils I know. About an hour after swiping it is hard to detect. Other ouds persist into the following day. There is a silky smoothness to the texture which I wouldn't associate with the pure oils I have and the oudish smell is "within" the oil rather than pouring out of the surface.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 8th October 2012 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    That is good to hear. Are you familiar with other ouds?
    This oud has a much lower intensity of smell, it has a less complex smell and its endurance is very low compared to other pure oils I know. About an hour after swiping it is hard to detect. Other ouds persist into the following day. There is a silky smoothness to the texture which I wouldn't associate with the pure oils I have and the oudish smell is "within" the oil rather than pouring out of the surface.
    I've some of this stuff too. The differences you describe (great description btw) are characteristic of an oud oil from Aquillaria crassna (rather than gallocha for example) and more importantly from a cultivated source and steam distilled rather than water distilled. It is also a much paler, greener colour than many oud oils and again that reflects the way it is made - the older oils that were widely available a few years ago were mainly distilled using the cohobation method, no steam pressure and done in iron vessels - all resulting in a darker, stickier oil. That isn't to say that darker oils are always made that way: many are faked or adulterated. I have one that, while clearly a real oud, has had something added to it that falls out of solution in ethanol, making it less than useful for perfume blending.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Interesting comments, thanks Chris.

I notice that this oil is no longer available on the hermitage site

Seems to be still there:

http://www.hermitageoils.com/essenti...-essential-oil

- - - Updated - - -

And now that you've induced me to look I see they have a sale on with several things I can heartily recommend included in it, like the Frankincense Rivae, which is unusual as well as lovely, Geranium bourbon, distilled Lemon (useful because distilling removes the photosensitivity inducing elements) and Pink Pepper (aka Schinus molle) which is exceptionally good . . . if you are in the market for any of those it may be worth a look.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Ah thanks. The link on the front page had gone and the search function doesn't doesn't find it.
    Galbanum!!!

Sorry to revive the thread, but i recently acquired some of this oud, albeit the 20% oil in ethanol. I too, was underwhelmed with this oud, and found it barely noticable, unless i really stuck my nose into it. I find it to have a sweet and fresh character, with a touch of rubber/plastic... I must admit, I thought the ethanol would help it project more, but I cannot detect it at distances above 15-20 cm's from my wrist. Is it really this weak and rubbery, or should i worry that my oil has been contaminated or accidentally overdiluted?
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Basenotes Plus

Hi!
    Haven't tried this one, but posts #3 & #4 should answer your question?
    Last edited by lpp; 18th March 2013 at 08:33 PM.

It just does not remind me of any oud I have smelled in a fragrance, it smells more like rubber, sweet and sort of fresh. And as I mentioned, should it not project more when it is in ethanol?
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Proper oud shouldn't be fading anywhere after an hour whether diluted or not. I haven't smelled this particular one, but I have smelled some good ouds and those are still there 24 and some 48 hours later with powerful emanation from even a tiny micro-swipe. Does it have a sticking plaster-ish note and/or a fruity/barnyard nuance?