Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Absolue pour le Soir compared to Lumiere Noire Pour Homme

Can someone give me a comparison of Absolue pour le Soir and Lumiere Noire Pour Homme? I love Lumiere and the notes of Absolue Soir sound amazing. I'm just wondering how the two compare.... or not. I have tried APOM pour Homme and I really didn't care for it, and I found it not similar at all to Lumiere. I get great longevity from Lumiere and it's an EDT, since Absolue is and EDP, it seems like it should last forever. I just need to find someone that is selling samples of Absolue and give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Absolue pour le Soir compared to Lumiere Noire Pour Homme

We have both of them.
    One is apples.
    The other is oranges.
    Neither is better than the other.
    Both are first rate.

Its not comparable at all.. Different genre.....

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, it's a different type of perfume. It is a big dark musk - as musky as Muscs Koublai Khan, Musc Ravageur or even Kiehl's musk. But it is overlaid with spices and amber, so it doesn't feel as in your face, in typical FK's fashion, it is smooth, rich and elegant.

cacio

Remarkably different IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Which one would work year round, office setting and church. I have GIT, and Coromandel for fall/winter, AdParma Essenza, Bond NY Oud and Atelier Cologne Bois Blond. The AC Bois Blond is nice, fresher and lighter than I usually get but it does last me 8 hours or so. Essenza same way. The NY Oud, I get a little rose, but mostly the oudy aspect and some fruit. Coromandel is patch for me, but nice. I am not used to skanky stuff but Musc Rave I did get compliments on and I am willing to step outside of my comfort zone.

Post Thanks / Like

Like comparing two nights really .......only thing in common is the sky they share.........each totally unique to the other.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Which one would work year round, office setting and church. I have GIT, and Coromandel for fall/winter, AdParma Essenza, Bond NY Oud and Atelier Cologne Bois Blond. The AC Bois Blond is nice, fresher and lighter than I usually get but it does last me 8 hours or so. Essenza same way. The NY Oud, I get a little rose, but mostly the oudy aspect and some fruit. Coromandel is patch for me, but nice. I am not used to skanky stuff but Musc Rave I did get compliments on and I am willing to step outside of my comfort zone.
    Office setting and Church, I would not go with APLS, but would go with the Cologne version. As for LNPH, it can be worn anythime.

Post Thanks / Like

The only two things that are similar between them are the bottle design and the fact that they were created by MFK.

Post Thanks / Like

I love APLS, but it is simply not safe for office and for church (unless in church there are single women you're trying to impress). MR is very musky up top, but then it becomes a smooth spicy scent. APLS is not as direct in the top, but it remains darkly animalic throughout.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

These are extremely different.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    finsfan, I'd say Lumiere Noire pour Homme would make a better all around scent for you, especially considering the wardrobe you mentioned.

It's one of the most versatile scents I can think of; in fact, I struggle to think of an instance where it wouldn't be appropriate. I used to wear it all the time, but I'm taking a break from LNpH to prevent boredom with it.

I absolutely love Absolue pour le Soir, but I wouldn't say it's an easy scent for anyone to wear to the office, church, etc., especially if you have limited experience with similar frags.

Personally, I think APLS offers something more to your wardrobe since it's so different from your other scents. Then again, LNPH would make a great floral addition to your wardrobe.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are great. Go with LN if you want versatility. APLS if you want something unique, bold, and intoxicating. It really is more suited for the night as the name suggests.

They are totally different, both are nice

Post Thanks / Like

Can I get by with APLS in colder, say 60 and under weather, so November to March in Memphis? I mean, NY OUd is not a wallflower, and Dior Leather Oud is not either. Someone smelled Musc Rav on me once and loved it on me. SOme scents give my wife a headache as I spray them on at 6:45 a.m. but by lunch she can stand them. Idole EDP was one. I just see so many positive reviews on it and there are not as many negatives with it as there are say APOM or Luminere. Rose, well, Le Labo Rose 31 did not do or Pasteum Rose and neither did Czech & Speake 88 or Black Aoud.

Maybe I want to find the love for MFK and cant? Frapin CE I liked, sold, and then got a sample and liked and when I got the CE, tried 1270 and did not like but now I sorta do. Then again, I had Piper Nigrum for 3 years and then tired of it, and when I tried it, wow, did not like it. Sold LDDM as the same way. Used to load up on Creed and now it seems underwhelming, and I keep the GIT to humor wife, though I liked Aventus and can not smell it on me and she hates it and says it is strong

I work in an office alone, so I can get what I want and I dont mind being a little more bold than the average guy. I dont really go out much at night and if i do, it is a dinner with wife on the way home from work or maybe I meet her at home, wash the face and we go somewhere but we are back in 90 minutes. Typical family stuff (child is grown now) on weekends

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    We have both of them.
    One is apples.
    The other is oranges.
    Neither is better than the other.
    Both are first rate.
    +1 nearest to truth.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you yourself a favour and get both! both are fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    The only two things that are similar between them are the bottle design and the fact that they were created by MFK.
    This.

Also, although I'm a big fan of Cologne pour le Soir and Absolue pour le Soir, I don't think the latter is very wearable. It's old school, slightly powdery, ambery and dirty. The cologne version is clean, soft and light, without the dirty musk of the absolue. I really love Cologne pour le Soir, and own a bottle, but even that one is totally different from Lumiere Noire.

If you like Lumiere Noire, unfortunately there is absolutely no way of knowing whether you'd like the "pour le soir" fragrances. They have nothing in common with Lumiere Noire in terms of notes or style.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    This.

Also, although I'm a big fan of Cologne pour le Soir and Absolue pour le Soir, I don't think the latter is very wearable. It's old school, slightly powdery, ambery and dirty. The cologne version is clean, soft and light, without the dirty musk of the absolute
    It isn't the musk, it's the cumin that you are getting in APLS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    +1 on this statment. The cumin is ENORMOUS in APLS. I had a bottle and traded it away. I really regret not giving it more of a chance. It is really challenging and hard to wear for some people. I dont even consider it animalic, just loaded with cumin to the brim. LN is awesome and is on my next to buy list. I think it is definitely a blind buy worthy frag but just like most people will tell you on BN, get samples of both and decide for yourself. I really wish I hadnt traded APLS away but I still dont think I could pull it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Well, yes, I do get cumin (which is one of my favorite notes in any fragrance).

My "musk" problem with APLS isn't the cumin though, it's that some of the mid and basenotes smell like a big wet dog rolled out around in civet. That's what turned me off.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a review on APLS here. They're wildly different, in that one is subtle and understated and the other is bombastically flamboyant.

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to try the APLS and the Lumiere. APLS, wow, what a beast. Yes, some sort of animal note (the musky note) and that honey. Tenacious, and very long lasting. Lumiere, was a fine rose and a hint of spice. Decent projection, but closer to the skin than the APLS. The Lumiere is a great rose (not like Le Labo 31) but I get a hint of a powdery vibe.

Palm Beach, and others: Where would the Cologne pour le soir fall in as far as projection compared to Lumiere and the Absolue? ANd what about longevity? I see that the Lumiere is an EDT and the Absolue and EDP and with the Cologne, I am concerned it will not project as well or last as long as the Lumiere. If it did, I think that I would buy the Cologne PLS. While I would love to be gifted a Lumiere, it would not make my short list of what I like. I much preferred Back to Black and even Sweet Redemption.

- - - Updated - - -

I was able to try the APLS and the Lumiere. APLS, wow, what a beast. Yes, some sort of animal note (the musky note) and that honey. Tenacious, and very long lasting. Lumiere, was a fine rose and a hint of spice. Decent projection, but closer to the skin than the APLS. The Lumiere is a great rose (not like Le Labo 31) but I get a hint of a powdery vibe.

Palm Beach, and others: Where would the Cologne pour le soir fall in as far as projection compared to Lumiere and the Absolue? ANd what about longevity? I see that the Lumiere is an EDT and the Absolue and EDP and with the Cologne, I am concerned it will not project as well or last as long as the Lumiere. If it did, I think that I would buy the Cologne PLS. While I would love to be gifted a Lumiere, it would not make my short list of what I like. I much preferred Back to Black and even Sweet Redemption.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, the cologne projects less than Lumiere Noire, though it still does so decently. As aventurier and others were saying, though, the cologne is very different from the Absolue, to my nose it is primarily a smooth amber without challenging notes.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    To me, the cologne projects less than Lumiere Noire, though it still does so decently. As aventurier and others were saying, though, the cologne is very different from the Absolue, to my nose it is primarily a smooth amber without challenging notes.

cacio
    Agree. The cologne is very smooth indeed.