Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Help me build a Bond No. 9 Wardrobe

This will be my first and hopefully last thread on basenotes (any future posts would only be on this thread as well it would seem)

First about myself

I'm a 20 year old male student in New Zealand. I started getting into this addictive hobby a couple of months ago. I have come to realize that this journey is infinite and never ending. I have experienced and learnt so many new things which I am grateful for and dont regret anything so far. I want to stop where I am because I realize what I want out of this: basically people to tell me I smell good and for something to complete the image I want to convey of my personality. I do not see myself as a collector because I simply cannot afford it and it won't align ethically with my views about materialism etc

The brief is I want 5-10 Bond No. 9 fragrances. The 10 is an absolute max and I think the job can be done in much less with suggestions hovering around 5. The reason I want Bonds boils down to a few key factors for me: i) the bottles look stunning ii) consistent great projection and longevity iii) a lot of breadth in its ranges compared to other houses (ie I can't envisage having wardrobe of just Serge Lutens and being happy)

I know some people will grumble that I'm doing this or only choosing Bondsbut please understand where I'm coming from, I only want this to supplement other aims also aesthetics and simplicity are very important for me in life (ie I aim to have as few possessions as is conceivable but still to treasure and love what I do own, hiding fragrances does not align with this because I can conceive satisfaction in seeing my few bottles sitting pretty). I know that with this brief I might not be getting the best aquatic, or best gourmand but the sacrifice I'm willing to make because of other factors

I want a wardrobe with variety and that fits into most conceivable scenarios. I would think all the seasons should be covered and that can easily be done. Also all occasions (black tie, daily wear etc) but also want to have this variety with as few bottles as possible. There is room for some obscure inclusions such as Fire Island if they can be justified

It would probably be worth buying 100mls of everything but am open to the idea of 50mls, regardless I'm getting consistent sizes of everything

I also don't want too many bottles because I actually don't wear fragrance every day. If I'm sick or pulling an all nighter and look disgusting or if I'm at home for the weekend I might end up wearing scent four days in a week for example. I will only scent up if there is a reasonable opportunity someone other than family will think I smell good

I'll probably buy 300mls of Thierry Mugler cologne as a comfort frag for home/bed/weekend or when I don't want to smell scenty

Also I want the entire spend to be between $1k-2kNZD and last me about five years (I did the calculations)

Lastly I'm not really that averse to the idea of wearing the same frag almost constantly for a season eg Chez Bond with occasional changes for variation. I dot really get bored with stuff that smells good (I still am not bored of Cool Water)

Ok onto suggestions

I'm thinking Chez Bond as an almost everyday frag for Spring will come up

Winter might be difficult because I don't know of any dark Bonds but New Haarlem will suit though

I've gotten to know the following frags so far all of which will be sold before I have this wardrobe

Joop! - really liked this, even though its "pink" juice it feels warm and floral sort of to avoid being cloying as I thought others were
    Pi and Le Male - thought both of these were way too sweet, coming to realize I don't like vanilla much
    Cool Water - great compliment getter and enjoyed this. Hope to upgrade to Chez Bond
    Giorgio for Men - smelt rubbery to me, for challenging masculine scents I much preferred Knize Ten
    Kouros - starting to really like this, but can never wear this or anything like this in public and since I'm not a collector this is a no-go since I can never buy frags just for personal enjoyment
    Blue Jeans - pretty boring unfortunately
    The Dreamer - my favourite, love this for a night out

Also I'll sample everything from what has been suggested but more to confirm what my expectations are rather than to explore scent

Default Re: Help me build a Bond No. 9 Wardrobe

If I were buying 5 Bond No.9's, they would be:

Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    West Side
    Chez Bond
    Great Jones
    I Love NY for All
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

New Haarlem is my favorite from Bond No. 9. It is very sweet though, so I don't know if you will like it. However, if you are looking for a gourmand, look no further.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Dependent

West Side
    Riverside Drive
    New Haarlem
    Chez Bond
    and last you must give it a smell is Bond no.9 Texas
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Basenotes Member

Removed

- - - Updated - - -

Wow this got really weird can the mods delete all the unnecessary edits above, still trying to learn how these forums work

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post

West Side
    Chez Bond
    Great Jones
    I Love NY for All
    Could you classify these just so I can know what bases are covered? Either by main note or group would be fine

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post

West Side
    Chez Bond
    Great Jones
    I Love NY for All
    Could you classify these just so I can know what bases are covered? Either by main note or group would be fine
    Last edited by phi; 9th October 2012 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phi View Post

Andy Warhol Silver Factory (incense floral) - metallic incense / iris / amber
    West Side (unisex rose) - boozy rose / sandalwood / musk / vanilla
    Chez Bond (green) - violet leaf / tea
    Great Jones - (masculine chypre) - citrus / cedar / vetiver / oakmoss
    I Love NY for All (gourmand) - chocolate / hazlenut / coffee / vanilla
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I recently tried 'Great Jones' and 'H.O.T. Always' and really enjoyed them. Actually, if I was striving toward minimalism, I could probably be quite happy with just those two for quite a while...

Many will disagree, but I quite like your idea of building a wardrobe around a single house. I could never do it myself (don't have the discipline), but if you like Bond No. 9, then why not stick with them...

Brooklyn
    Bleecker Street
    I Love NY for All
    Hamptons
    Riverside Drive

Great colder weather choices:
    New Haarlem
    I Love New York for All
    New York Amber
    New York Oud
    I Love New York for Marriage Equality

Great warmer weather choices:
    Bleecker Street
    Chez Bond
    Coney Island
    Brooklyn
    Eau de New York
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Riverside Drive
    Chez Bond
    I Love New York for All
    I Love New York for Him
    Harrods for Him
    Great Jones
    Bleecker Street
    Coney Island
    Manhattan

Basenotes Member

Thanks for all the responses guys! Ive taken it all into account, for anyone who's interested here's what I'm going to do

The first three fragrances I've decided to get are as follows. I like that these can cover any scenario I might need and any occasion. I would actually be really happy even if I just had these to use for the next few years. In order of preference

1) Silver Factory. Winter. Daily and formal. One of my earliest olfactory memories is incense at this temple, also have loved the smell of incense even before getting into perfumes. This fragrance in particular has also got really good reviews and sounds quite unique

2) Chez Bond. Any wardrobe I think needs a fragrance that you can choose when you don't know what else to wear, this I think is what this can do best. Crucial for me that this can act as a formal fragrance in the summer. I saw this kind of competing with Bleecker Street because they are both similarly acclaimed and I would wear them for the same purposes. In the end I chose Chez Bond because I don't really see the point of a niche aquatic

3) Coney Island. Summer. Daily. I decided to go with this over Riverside Drive and Wall Street. Here in New Zealand you're never more than 40kms away from the beach/ocean or lake. I would want something that encapsulates that idea of being near the water and relaxing on a warm night. I also don't like my fragrances to be subtle or boring because I'm young and wouldn't see the point (why I don't want Riverside Drive) and too many reviewers have problems with Wall Street

With these three decided I had some slots to play around with so I chose

4) Chinatown. Not suggested but I find myself really drawn to this. The description sounds so sexy and this could be ideal as a unique clubbing scent or going out. I also see this as versatile seasonally

5) H.O.T. Always. Lastly wanted something challenging to balance out all the straightforward sweetness above. I probably would imagine this as a winter daily or summer evening but mostly I think I need this because some items of clothing (leather jackets, black/dark hues, coats) just wouldn't work well with sweet fragrances

Hoping to get about five years from all of these combined. I think I might be open to some of the more novelty type scents (New Haarlem {some people look to this as a must have but because it's a gourmand I still view it as hard-to-wear/superfluous}, Little Italy, Fire Island in the 50mls maybe over time

So long everyone, blind buying NZ$1084.05 worth of perfume in 3,2,1..

Basenotes Plus

I think you have made very good choices for your purpose. I was happy to see H.O.T. Always on your list, it's often overlooked but is very good on it's own but best for layering.

Enjoy your scents!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Banned
    Blog Entries

The Bond no 9. house has some good offerings, but their fragrances are pricy. For that reason, you should explore other niche houses before you decide to spend $1000 on a wardrobe of all Bond scents.

But if I had to make a Bond no. 9 wardrobe, here are my recommendations (based on me trying over a dozen Bonds).

1. New Haarlem
    2. Chez Bond
    3. Bleecker Street
    4. Wall Street

Washington Square and Chinatown aren't bad either.

Dude, you forgot Manhattan! Along with Silver Factory and ILNYFA, I'd say among Bond's best yet.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post
    Dude, you forgot Manhattan! Along with Silver Factory and ILNYFA, I'd say among Bond's best yet.
    Hey Baldini

Manhattan certainly looked interesting but there a few reasons why I didn't purchase

1) simply not enough information about it, there isn't even a basenotes listing. As a result I barely know what it is about, what I do know just wasn't convincing enough. Some have said there is oud in this? Isnt that an acquired taste?

2) it's a new release so I can't find it online at fragrance net or fragrancex. I have no choice but go to the Bond website and pay $270US plus 45 for shipping, I got all the others for between 175-200 NZD from fragrancenet after their 15% off thing today and those are almost half the price includes shipping

Could you tell me a bit more about why it is so desirable? I had set a limit of ten after all

Quote Originally Posted by phi View Post
    Hey Baldini

Manhattan certainly looked interesting but there a few reasons why I didn't purchase

1) simply not enough information about it, there isn't even a basenotes listing. As a result I barely know what it is about, what I do know just wasn't convincing enough. Some have said there is oud in this? Isnt that an acquired taste?

2) it's a new release so I can't find it online at fragrance net or fragrancex. I have no choice but go to the Bond website and pay $270US plus 45 for shipping, I got all the others for between 175-200 NZD from fragrancenet after their 15% off thing today and those are almost half the price includes shipping

Could you tell me a bit more about why it is so desirable? I had set a limit of ten after all
    Not exactly a pyramid, but from Bond's description:
    Officially it belongs in the oriental gourmand category, rich in spices—some of them very new to the oriental repertory. Its pace is set by a mélange of topnotes: mouthwatering nutmeg … worldly saffron, evoking dried flowers … delicate coriander seeds—softened with the addition of luscious, mouthwatering peach. The heart notes continue the gourmet theme, as sweet honeycomb, made from the nectar of flowers, mingles with black plum, hinting of chocolate, and a warm and inviting gingerbread accord. Moroccan jasmine, the sole flower at the center of this scent, itself evokes the aura of peaches or ripe bananas. Then comes the lingering drydown: Creamy, velvety-smooth sandalwood; rich, balsamic patchouli; a soft and warm vanilla infusion; and unapologetically sensual, skin-like musk.
    I definitely get the fruit/floral accord, which isn't cloying to me at all, and the woodsy-vanilla base makes it great. I think it's perhaps Bond's most masculine (at least of the dozen or so I've tried), and one that is unique enough, yet a sure crowd-pleaser. It's not challenging in any way, but that's not what Bonds are for. But you're right about the price- I, like many, got the 7ml travel atomizer from Bond free of charge, and having done about four full wearings, I've concluded that if you're a Bond fan, you should own this. However, I wouldn't recommend it at the $270 price tag they're asking. At sub-$200, I'd be more generous with a recommendation. It's quality juice that has a balanced longevity and sillage- people close to you will certainly notice, but it's not obnoxious in the least. I'd recommend at least sampling it for sure.

My favorite Bonds (I haven't tried many though):

Bond NY Oud: Nice fun and fruity rose+oud blend (the party animal of the Rose Oud Fraternity)
    Bond New Haarlem: Solid gourmand with syrup and coffee, very rich and sweet
    Bond Harrod's Oud: A really well done oud, very woody green/brown scent. If you like Kilian Pure Oud, try this.
    Bond Bleecker St: Appealing fresh green floral scent, seems like a good crowd pleaser for warmer weather.

I have a sample of Brooklyn and Cooper Square waiting to be tried; if those are really good, I'll post here.

Also, are you set on building a wardrobe purely from one house? There are other houses that offer great projection, longevity and nice, consistent packaging. Frederic Malle, Kilian, Amouage and Tom Ford all come to mind (FM has some lighter scents too, but Musc Ravageur, Carnal Flower, Noir Epices, and Portrait of a Lady are heroes when it comes to performance).

If you're concerned about having a coherent wardrobe, I'd pick at least 2-3 houses and then choose the best from those. Your 10 bottle collection should still look cohesive and great, but you'll have much more variety, not just in genre, but in style and quality.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post
    Not exactly a pyramid, but from Bond's description:

I definitely get the fruit/floral accord, which isn't cloying to me at all, and the woodsy-vanilla base makes it great. I think it's perhaps Bond's most masculine (at least of the dozen or so I've tried), and one that is unique enough, yet a sure crowd-pleaser. It's not challenging in any way, but that's not what Bonds are for. But you're right about the price- I, like many, got the 7ml travel atomizer from Bond free of charge, and having done about four full wearings, I've concluded that if you're a Bond fan, you should own this. However, I wouldn't recommend it at the $270 price tag they're asking. At sub-$200, I'd be more generous with a recommendation. It's quality juice that has a balanced longevity and sillage- people close to you will certainly notice, but it's not obnoxious in the least. I'd recommend at least sampling it for sure.
    My friend is going to be in Harrods London next week. I'll try and get him to get a Bon Bon sample and if I like it I'll wait for the fragrance to hit discounters

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    My favorite Bonds (I haven't tried many though):

Bond NY Oud: Nice fun and fruity rose+oud blend (the party animal of the Rose Oud Fraternity)
    Bond New Haarlem: Solid gourmand with syrup and coffee, very rich and sweet
    Bond Harrod's Oud: A really well done oud, very woody green/brown scent. If you like Kilian Pure Oud, try this.
    Bond Bleecker St: Appealing fresh green floral scent, seems like a good crowd pleaser for warmer weather.

I have a sample of Brooklyn and Cooper Square waiting to be tried; if those are really good, I'll post here.

Also, are you set on building a wardrobe purely from one house? There are other houses that offer great projection, longevity and nice, consistent packaging. Frederic Malle, Kilian, Amouage and Tom Ford all come to mind (FM has some lighter scents too, but Musc Ravageur, Carnal Flower, Noir Epices, and Portrait of a Lady are heroes when it comes to performance).

If you're concerned about having a coherent wardrobe, I'd pick at least 2-3 houses and then choose the best from those. Your 10 bottle collection should still look cohesive and great, but you'll have much more variety, not just in genre, but in style and quality.
    I was originally going to do this until I realised that Bond has great scents for winter time as well

As far as the pure aesthetic value of how these frags are going to appear displayed its hard for me to look past the idea of having all the same shape and size bottles lined up against each other. If I was to have a couple of Amouages, Creeds, By Kilian etc I just don't think it will look as striking. In which case I would strike the idea of house reliance and go purely on the strength of the juice and line my wardrobe accordingly

I know this may come across as pedantic to some (and rightfully so) but I don't see why not to do this because Bond really does look like the one house on Basenotes with the most variety and reasonably high quality

Given I don't want to spend the kind of money I would need to to be a collector and given I would be happy with not many frags all of which I should (hopefully) love I think my approach should work out
    Last edited by phi; 13th October 2012 at 05:56 AM.