Code of Conduct

Default Help me find more men's scents to like?

Hey guys! Well, I am super picky with men's scents and can't find too many that I like! I have yet to try many..but here are some of my likes/experiences..blah blah blah. Thanks a lot!

Ok..in the past I've loved the Polo line..original Polo and Double Black. But now DB is like way sweet-fruity to my nose and it puts me off! Polo Explorer, same thing..liked it now it's way too sweet. Ugh. Polo Blue is awful to me..aquatic musk, blech.

Did like Armani Code some but now it's medicinal syrup and the Ultimate..again, with the sweet, don't like it.

GIT by Creed I kinda like..worth the money though? Idk..isn't it like Aspen? But haven't smelled Aspen in forever. And I thought I smelled a dose of musk in there, a dislike. And Cool Water..nope, don't like it and don't see similarities to GIT.

I like classic Brut I think, been a while but don't like Axe scents, lol.

Tdh..kinda liked that classic vibe but too orangey.

MI I kinda like..but too musky and I think there was fruit in there I didn't care for but don't remember.

Don't like Aventus much...the wood notes are ok but wouldn't buy a bottle.

Kinda like Creed Spice and Wood, the opening..but then it's an apples and musk potpourri, a nope.

Egoiste..the cinnamon..he doesn't like it, either do I (on a man). Though, Ego would be one I may wear for me, lol..as I dig cinnamon on myself.

Fahrenheit way too spicy and I like spice...was a pepper bomb

Liked YSL L'homme but now it's too sweet and tobacco-y

Maybe something classic? And I like really 'manly' or masculine scents. I know, I just don't know how else to describe!

Summary: I think I like woody, herbal(not too heavy on the lavender though), spice(no cinnamon), violet, iris, amber, cedar, vetiver, leather, tobacco(small doses only)

No-nos: Sweet, vanilla, musk, aquatics, rose, incense(no smoke please), fruit..no pineapple, apples, any fruit. Citrus is ok just not too much. No huge doses of patchouli I don't think. Though some is ok...as I seem to like earthy a bit.

Am I too picky?
    Last edited by kalli; 9th October 2012 at 05:16 PM.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Default Re: Help me find more men's scents to like?

Not at all picky IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Opus 1870 by Penhaligons or Voyage d'Hermes EDP might be suitable, I perceive them both as having a certain "original Polo"-vibe.

Thanks a lot but there are notes I read in those that I won't like.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture might fit the bill. Powerfully masculine all the way, woody and leathery with a touch of booze and spices. Great scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Manly usually implies dirty musks, so that's a bit of a restriction. But anyway, among traditional masculines:

Yatagan: herbal woody. Vegetable blast followed by dark woods.
    Guerlain derby: citrus top, woods, a touch of leather
    Traditional Italian dark masculine herbals, like Tuscany or Krizia Uomo.

cacio

Maybe that's what I meant, traditional masculines, I don't know much when it comes to men's scents I guess. Thanks Cacio.

I forgot to mention..I don't like mint at all in men's or women's.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some to consider trying for fall/winter: Creed Bois du Portugal, Mugler Pure Malt, Odori Cuoio, Guerlain Derby (any formulation), Dior L'Homme Sage, Bond No 9 New Haarlem, Carthusia Numero Uno and Ormonde Man.

Thanks! Oh ya, forgot to mention not a fan at all of Mugler scents lol, but thanks! Ormonde Man gets some attention, interested..there's musk but perhaps it's not much from what I've read. And I've been thinking to check out Bois du Portugal.
    Last edited by kalli; 9th October 2012 at 06:43 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Hey guys! Well, I am super picky with men's scents and can't find too many that I like! I have yet to try many..but here are some of my likes/experiences..blah blah blah. Thanks a lot!

Ok..in the past I've loved the Polo line..original Polo and Double Black. But now DB is like way sweet-fruity to my nose and it puts me off! Polo Explorer, same thing..liked it now it's way too sweet. Ugh. Polo Blue is awful to me..aquatic musk, blech.

Did like Armani Code some but now it's medicinal syrup and the Ultimate..again, with the sweet, don't like it.

GIT by Creed I kinda like..worth the money though? Idk..isn't it like Aspen? But haven't smelled Aspen in forever. And I thought I smelled a dose of musk in there, a dislike. And Cool Water..nope, don't like it and don't see similarities to GIT.

I like classic Brut I think, been a while but don't like Axe scents, lol.

Tdh..kinda liked that classic vibe but too orangey.

MI I kinda like..but too musky and I think there was fruit in there I didn't care for but don't remember.

Don't like Aventus much...the wood notes are ok but wouldn't buy a bottle.

Kinda like Creed Spice and Wood, the opening..but then it's an apples and musk potpourri, a nope.

Egoiste..the cinnamon..he doesn't like it, either do I (on a man). Though, Ego would be one I may wear for me, lol..as I dig cinnamon on myself.

Fahrenheit way too spicy and I like spice...was a pepper bomb

Liked YSL L'homme but now it's too sweet and tobacco-y

Maybe something classic? And I like really 'manly' or masculine scents. I know, I just don't know how else to describe!

Summary: I think I like woody, herbal(not too heavy on the lavender though), spice(no cinnamon), violet, iris, amber, cedar, vetiver, leather, tobacco(small doses only)

No-nos: Sweet, vanilla, musk, aquatics, rose, incense(no smoke please), fruit..no pineapple, apples, any fruit. Citrus is ok just not too much. No huge doses of patchouli I don't think. Though some is ok...as I seem to like earthy a bit.

Am I too picky?

Sounds a teensy bit picky to me, I don't know, have you tried the ADP Colonia range?

Lol, I know, I am picky, lol! Nope, I haven't tried any from ADP yet. I gotta say Pure Malt was the least disliked of the Mugler's but still kinda disliked it. Must be the fruity notes.
    Last edited by kalli; 9th October 2012 at 07:15 PM.

Try:
    Burberry London
    Rive Gauche
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Green Irish Tweed - yes, some similarities to the opening of Aspen, but it stops there, as Aspen is highly sythetic & very short lived. GIT is FAR superior in EVERY WAY
    Michael Kors by Michael Kors
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    True Religion for Men

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Ok..in the past I've loved the Polo line..original Polo... I like classic Brut I think...Maybe something classic? And I like really 'manly' or masculine scents. I know, I just don't know how else to describe!

I'd suggest getting some samples of:
    Dunhill Edition
    Puig Agua Brava for Men
    Aramis Devin
    Aramis Tuscany
    Azzaro pH
    Azzaro Visit
    Bijan for Men
    Bulgari pH Soir
    Burberry for Men
    Chanel Sycomore
    Chanel Coromandel
    Chanel Antaeus
    Chanel Cuir d'Russie
    Dior Jules
    Elsha 1776 Russian Leather
    Ungaro II
    Etro Gomma
    Gucci pHII
    Givenchy Insense
    Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur and/or Jicky
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Jacques Bogart - Bogart
    Lalique Encre Noir
    Lancome Cuir de Lancome
    L'Occitane Vetyver
    Esencia Loewe
    Loewe for Men
    Paco Rabanne pH
    Parum d'Empire Ambre Russe
    Salvador Dali pH (Lips bottle)
    Serge Lutens 5 O'Clock Gingembre
    Andy Taurer - L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Versace - Green Jeans
    Worth pH
    YSL Jazz
    YSL Rive Gauche pH
    Visconti Di Modrone - Aqua di Selva
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Thanks for the recs guys! I also can't stand the whole Burberry house, forgot to mention that too! lol. I may look into Chanels(Plat Ego didn't like) or maybe a vetiver scent.

Post Thanks / Like

I like martinijo's Acqua di Parma Colonia line recommendation. AdP is class in a bottle.

Also, if you're looking for a vetiver, you might be interested in trying a spray of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. It's really quite smooth and sophisticated.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Ralph Lauren - Safari.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Caron pour Un Homme will fit the bill perfectly. It has vanilla, musk, and some sort of spiced apple note keeping it interesting. It's very classy, can be dressed up or down, high quality, and relatively inexpensive.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Post Thanks / Like

Lubin Bluff
    Encre Noire
    l'instant
    wonderwood
    tam dao

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Grey Flannel
    Old Spice
    Aramis
    Azzaro pour Homme

Nothing wrong with being picky. It's your money after all.