Code of Conduct

Default Portrait of Lady

Well i've had a decant of this for some time and pretty much every evening i like to sample all the random decants/samples i've compiled over time and this is one that i kind of go back and forth is since part of me wants to really like it since it is unique, however i'm struggling with certrain aspect of it that kind of turns me off. It's almost this spicy accord that i believe is the Patch that is just over board on this frag.

I will say this thing performs like a beast!! I have yet to give it a full wearing in public since i'm not sure how i feel about it or how well it will be received by others but it sure is a masterpiece, one i need to sample more but i think i need to give it a full wearing before i can judge it.

I know it gets a lot of praise on here, so i'd like to hear from people that own this...is this a versatile scent for you, does it garner compliments and where does it rank in as far as your favorite rose based scent?

Default Re: Portrait of Lady

Bought this for my wife who absolutely loves it and I love to smell it on her.

Dependent

Really love it but I dont think I will wear it much. So I guess I am only going for a decant in the future.

To me, it isnt that versatile but I do agree that longevity is crazy. I suppose it is more for the cooler months? As for rose based fragrances, I am totally in love with TF Noir de Noir.
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Sound Scents

I wear it everywhere year-round including the office, finding it extremely versatile. It is always well-received by others when I wear it, but admittedly I only use one spray per wearing as it is super-potent. As for where it ranks among rose scents... There are many, many excellent ones on the market and I own and wear several, but PoaL is by far my favorite.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

There is indeed something very potent in there, whether the patch, or more likely to my nose, a combo of modern synthetics. That said, I own and like it and I think it's very versatile. Very likely, it will appeal to non aficionados more than most other good perfumes because of this modern structure. Provided, as others have stressed, that it is used very lightly. This is potent stuff indeed.

cacio

It's very special to me, so I tend to wear it less often than I should. I wore it this last weekend though and it never fails to impress. Do what I did, 3 sprays to the neck, see where it takes you

I would wear this to anything but work, which I don't wear fragrance too, especially something this strong.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    It's very special to me, so I tend to wear it less often than I should. I wore it this last weekend though and it never fails to impress. Do what I did, 3 sprays to the neck, see where it takes you

I would wear this to anything but work, which I don't wear fragrance too, especially something this strong.

3 sprays of this would knock people out lol

I need to wear this more, I love its potency. I think 1-2 sprays is ideal (depending on what you'll be doing). Restraint is key with this one.

A great fragrance that I'm not able to pull off in any occasion. Gets all my respect yet it's not for me.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I love this perfume but agree with everyone else about its potency. I wish there was some way I could block the sprayer mechanism to push down only half way so I could decrease the amount I used - it's overkill on the scent and wasteful to me in the long run.

My wife hates, I mean HATES it. She doesn't know why it pisses her off so much but it does. I assume it's the patchouli.

Dependent

best rose frag to me!
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

did not not score well within few ladies at work...they it was ok and one hated it 'lol. I did one spray to forearm just to sample and 13hrs later o can Still smell it!

I like to overdose this scent. Literally. To kill with the sillage.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

It's a beautiful fragrance. I am still trying to gauge the proper dosage (a little goes a long way), and once that's done will wear it to the office also.

Very nice scent. I do two sprays at most. Powerful stuff.

it's a great scent, been enjoying wearing it, but personally prefer Canal Flower and Vetiver Extraordinarie more
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

It's lovely but I find it a bit too pink and girly for my personal use. I haven't tested the compliment factor but I'd imagine it would be quite high as long as it's not over-applied.

Very nice.

Its been reformulated though.

The earlier (2 years ago) bottles had a higher incense to patchouli ratio with rose being stable. Now the patchouli ratio is higher than the incense ratio.

for swap/sale:

Cant wait to sample this one! Unfortunately, I think I will end up falling in love with it.

Update: Yep I was right. This fragrance smells amazing. Def unisex and I received a few compliments from the ladies while wearing this. This is now in my top ten of all time. Extremely appealing.
    Last edited by Jkidd; 17th January 2013 at 04:52 AM.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

I don't know what took me so long but I have only recently managed to get hold of Portrait of a Lady and I can now say that I think that it is one of the loveliest fragrances I have ever tried. (Shame about the name . It makes me think of David Walliams in Little Britain!).

I agree that there is a very powerful accord supporting the rose, and the whole composition. It's not just the patchouli. Dare I say that I have wondered if it is Oud? What say you Hedonist?

It's nice but for a berried rose, I prefer Briar Rose by Ineke. Similar in a lot of ways but just a bit different to where I like it more than POAL. The price is better too. Lasts long. Worth seeking out imo if one hasn't tried it and knows they like POAL.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.