Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route De Madagascar 2012

Does anyone know if this will be carried in the US? I am only getting non-US hits on it. I guess I could always call a Guerlain botique and see if they will ship it but it would be nice to find a tester first.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Guerlain Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route De Madagascar 2012

yes the Guerlain Boutique at the Palazzo in Las Vegas has it. Matildaben and I both got a bottle at the meetup last weekend.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Is it as good as it sounds? Details!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Is different from the last edition?

And how much it costs?

$110 for a 50ml bottle. It's amazing - the drydown is just to die for. I didn't have the 2010 edition, so I can't compare them, but Olfactoria had a review a couple weeks back comparing the two.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the contact info for the Guerlain boutique in LV:
    Johnathan Nieto
    Fragrance Ambassador
    Guerlain The Shoppes at the Palazzo
    702.732.7008 Toll Free 866-409-6110
    guerlainpalazzo.store@lvmhuspc.com

Basenotes Plus

Could they have picked a longer name for the fragrance?

Sorry, couldn't resist after seeing this title.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Could they have picked a longer name for the fragrance?

Sorry, couldn't resist after seeing this title.
    Yes. They could have named it "Guerlain Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route less taken De Madagascar 2012".

Maybe also included a street address?

I wonder what the worlds longest perfume name is?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info. I've added it to my notes in case I decide I need this for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    $110 for a 50ml bottle. It's amazing - the drydown is just to die for. I didn't have the 2010 edition, so I can't compare them, but Olfactoria had a review a couple weeks back comparing the two.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the contact info for the Guerlain boutique in LV:
    Johnathan Nieto
    Fragrance Ambassador
    Guerlain The Shoppes at the Palazzo
    702.732.7008 Toll Free 866-409-6110
    guerlainpalazzo.store@lvmhuspc.com
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

Quote Originally Posted by vmarshmellow View Post
    Yes. They could have named it "Guerlain Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route less taken De Madagascar 2012".
    That's funny.

Blog Entries

l just read Olfactoria's review of this one, & it sounds divine. Anyone know when it might be available in the UK?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I ended up buying this un-sniffed as the only place I could find it in the US is at the Guerlain botique.

I have not bought anything from the botique (in Las Vegas) before. I encourage anyone who wants to buy something over the phone and have them ship it to them to do so. I was a little weary of doing so myself, but when I called they were very friendly and helpful and eager to sell over the phone. I was a little bit worried that they would treat me like they were doing me a favor but they treated me like a valued customer (as should be). The person who helped me was Jorganne Magness.

So as to the juice.

I really like this version of Shalimar. My only other version is vintage EDC. I have not compared the two wrist to wrist yet.

However, based on my memory, the Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route De Madagascar 2012, is very similar to regular Shalimar. To me, it is much more similar to original Shalimar than Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere is to Chanel No. 5. (analogy only, completely different fragrance family of course).

On me, original Shalimar never seems to shed it's top notes and stays too sharp and citrusy so the vanilla never comes through to my nose they way I would like it too. Oddly enough when I smell it on others I do smell the vanilla big time. The Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route De Madagascar 2012 does have the sharp citrus top notes but they were much quicker to dry down. Also, with the Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route De Madagascar 2012 I detect spices which are not listed in the notes. I don't remember detecting spice in original Shalimar but then again, I can never get past the top notes with original Shalimar.

I prefer the Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route De Madagascar 2012 to original Shalimar. I suspect there will be some loyalists who would find it too tame, but for me it was just the right change to make Shalimar enjoyable for me to wear. And again it is very similar. This is not one of those flankers that has nothing to do with the original.

I was going to buy this one last Tuesday because I was in Vegas for a couple of days but since their customer service was so poor (Jorganne was there and she totally ignored me) I decided to go to Dior and bought the Vetiver since their service was the total opposite. I will buy the Shalimar but not from them.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

That's a shame when a boutique gives you poor service.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Exactly, when Chuck was there it was a different story. But since she thought that I was not going to buy a thing she ignored me. But Dior was great. So I left my money there.

I find it smoother than the previous Ode a la Vanille. I would gladly spend the money on this one and I am not even very fond of vanilla perfumes.
    Evenstar