Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: -Sigh- eBay fake...

Quote Originally Posted by Made in California View Post
    +1, he annoys me too
    never feed the trolls!
    There's ice on the sink where we bathe ....So how can you call this a home.... When you know it's a grave

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Ebay = scammers marketplace, and I'm sure they make a lot of money off counterfeit fragrances there. I don't understand why there are all these threads "another fake on Ebay" .. duh.. I mean obviously. You could get better values on the REAL deal at places like Marshall's, TJ Maxx, and Ross; and websites like Amazon, and Scentedmonkey..
    I know many of the big websites have Ebay stores. Scentedmonkey, Overstock, Perfume 1, and many others. Many times their prices are cheaper on their Ebay auctions than on their website even with discounts. I think many of these fakes are coming from low feedback and no return of merchandise sellers. I'll only buy from these sellers if I see the actual bottle and they answer my questions. 9 times out of 10 if they don't answer they have something to hide.

Do you guys think this is a fake?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Le-Vainqueur...item3a74e60ceb

It fits the criteria mentioned in this thread, but it seemed like too much of a niche brand to be worth it..

All I can say is that I've personally purchased many scents on Ebay, with no fakes. And I've sold many scents there, too. You just have to be careful, as in any pursuit. For example, I would never buy fragrance from a seller with less than a 99.0 percent feedback score.

But if I did purchase a fake scent, I would demand a refund and, if I was told to send it back, politely inform Ebay that I am an attorney (which is true) and I am saving it for evidence, since I may decide to sue the seller for fraud (which, in my state, entitles me to attorney fees and subjects the seller to other unpleasant consequences).

Postscript: a few years ago I purchased a computer game on Ebay. About six months later I received a letter from a United States Attorney in Illinois, who notified me that the seller had been arrested for stealing computer games and selling them on Ebay. I was asked if I wanted to be included in a restitution award. I declined, but it was nice to see that the feds did something right.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by Made in California View Post
    Do you guys think this is a fake?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Le-Vainqueur...item3a74e60ceb

It fits the criteria mentioned in this thread, but it seemed like too much of a niche brand to be worth it..
    Seller looks to have decent feedback. I'd say you're ok.

Either way you're protected if you get a fake.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    All I can say is that I've personally purchased many scents on Ebay, with no fakes. And I've sold many scents there, too. You just have to be careful, as in any pursuit. For example, I would never buy fragrance from a seller with less than a 99.0 percent feedback score.

But if I did purchase a fake scent, I would demand a refund and, if I was told to send it back, politely inform Ebay that I am an attorney (which is true) and I am saving it for evidence, since I may decide to sue the seller for fraud (which, in my state, entitles me to attorney fees and subjects the seller to other unpleasant consequences).

Postscript: a few years ago I purchased a computer game on Ebay. About six months later I received a letter from a United States Attorney in Illinois, who notified me that the seller had been arrested for stealing computer games and selling them on Ebay. I was asked if I wanted to be included in a restitution award. I declined, but it was nice to see that the feds did something right.
    It's posts like this that remind me why I am studying Law. Glad to hear we have people out there who are intelligent enough to understand how things SHOULD work.

It is really hit and miss, I have gotten some really good fragrances off ebay , but some were either fake or so watered down, they had no fragrance. I usually buy fragrances from sellers who have a return policy. If there is no return policy DO NOT BUY!

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    It is really hit and miss, I have gotten some really good fragrances off ebay , but some were either fake or so watered down, they had no fragrance. I usually buy fragrances from sellers who have a return policy. If there is no return policy DO NOT BUY!
    Very true. I will typically buy from non-fragrance sellers. Just your average joe trying to make some cash. However, I think I'm going to stick with fragrancenet.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    It's posts like this that remind me why I am studying Law. Glad to hear we have people out there who are intelligent enough to understand how things SHOULD work.
    Another lawyer in training here. Glad to see we are well-represented on BN
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Let the Buyer Beware-Caveat Emptor!

I've managed so far to buy only genuine frags from eBay. But a couple of times the bottle has been different batch than in the picture. For example believed that i had bought a pre-reformulation version of a fragrance, and received the latest, reformulated version.

Recently wanted to buy a bottle of Bleu De Chanel 100 ML, and ended up to buy it from a reputable German online store, not from eBay. There were so much fake Bleu de Chanels there for sale, especially in 100 ML bottles.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune, but one way to avoid this in future is to purchase full bottles only from authorized vendors.

My rule is that I buy decants from places like here and Crystal Flacon, and if I get ripped off I'm only out a few bucks since it was a decant. If I want a full bottle, I will go to authorized retailer like LuckyScent, PerfumeShoppe, or dept store sites like Saks/Neiman/etc. The extra money is well worth it for the peace of mind it gives me. I would be fuming if I was you, which is why I avoid getting myself into these types of situations to begin with. The potential saved money is not worth the anger and frustration that it leads to.

Thanks everyone,
    Eggy, you know what they say, "attorney's are a dime a dozen"
    senore01, Couldn't have said it better myself
    dofa, Same here. The majority of the frags I have purchased have been authentic, it was just these last 2 D&G's (oh, did I forget to mention, I purchased another fake? -working on a resolution with this seller as well)
    Cameron, Believe me, I'm sticking with Fragrancenet now.

I have had good experience with ebay, so I can't complain.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jeightseven View Post
    99.9% of cologne on ebay is fake. End of story. Period. If its too good to be true, then it is.
    You are 99.8% wrong.

It is true there are some fakes in ebay, there are hundreds of honest sellers there too and you should not make such a broad statement.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

I have always had successful eBay purchases. I always ask to see the serial number either on the box or the bottle.

Both of the serial numbers matched, however there is no way it's an authentic The One. It actually smells EXACTLY like Drakkar Noir

Quote Originally Posted by jeightseven View Post
    99.9% of cologne on ebay is fake. End of story. Period. If its too good to be true, then it is.
    Not so at all. Most fragrances sold on EBay are genuine and originals. Only very small percentage are fakes. And the saying goes "If its too good to be true, then it is not" , afaik.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I have nly even got two fakes on ebay and in one case received a genuine one as replacement and a full refund for the other.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350496734.439992.jpg eBay purchase genuine 100ml 30 with free delivery. Retail is 50 so another bargain from eBay

Also, don't think niches are safe buys either. There's a pretty notorious group on eBay selling fakes using stock photos and descriptions with zero feedback accounts and some other accounts with low feedback ratings. If you do a search for creeds on eBay you can spot them pretty easily. I've complained to eBay multiple times but they keep showing up and get tons of bidders from the less informed since they think they are getting a great deal.

Also be wary of flasks / flacons as its obviously very easy to alter or dilute the contents, I've noticed a spike of semi used flacons in recent months from low feedback sellers. What was inside was probably real, but now replaced with fake stuff. If they sell that flacon they are getting free expensive niche parfums in mass quantities while exploiting someone else

I ordered 5 fragrances a few years back from various Ebay sellers with very high numbers of positive ratings. 2 of the 5 fragrances were counterfeit. Ebay is a damn cesspool, and I will NEVER purchase another fragrance from that site.

I usually get a better deal from Fragrancenet with the 15% or 20% off coupon anyway.

Seriously, f*** Ebay.

I have purchased many authentic fragrances on there and they were all great deals. So, therefore, eBay is great for purchasing fragrances.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    Not so at all. Most fragrances sold on EBay are genuine and originals. Only very small percentage are fakes. And the saying goes "If its too good to be true, then it is not" , afaik.

The correct saying is as follows:

"If its too too good to be true, then it probably is"

Which is true mostly everywhere.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Quote Originally Posted by amw9490 View Post
    I have purchased many authentic fragrances on there and they were all great deals. So, therefore, eBay is great for purchasing fragrances.

- - - Updated - - -

The correct saying is as follows:

"If its too too good to be true, then it probably is"

Which is true mostly everywhere.
    Definitely agree here...haven't been burned by ebay yet because if it does seem to good to be true, I don't trust it.

I decided to give it one more go. This time with L'Homme.