Code of Conduct

Default How many of you (non-beginners) keep a small wardrobe?

Are there any of you that are not new to Basenotes or the fragrance game, but still decide to keep a small wardrobe? I would consider a small wardrobe to be 30 bottles or less or in that area. I'm not really targeting this question to fragrance beginners, since the majority of them would not have that many bottles.

Personally, I have around 55 fragrances but am working hard on reducing it to the 25 - 30 range. I have sampled and collected enough fragrances to find what I like and what I want to keep. I have bottles such as Roadster, Body Kouros, etc. that are pleasant but not needed. I guess I'm just saying that I'm not interested in seeing how many fragrances I can acquire, but rather keep what I know I'll use on a regular basis.

I know many people on here are collectors, but do any of you have similar goals as myself? If so, how many fragrances do you have in your "collection"?

Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Default Re: How many of you (non-beginners) keep a small wardrobe?

Yes I usually have 3-4 bottles tops and it rotates. When I came here in 2008 I really was just looking for ideas for 1 new scent. But I became immersed. Though circumstances led me to quit here for awhile and then come back my goal is always to read about scents and try and really narrow down what I like. In 4 years I've really loved many niche perfumes but only purchased one and then resold out if guilt...lol. It wasn't money as much as quantity vs. price issue. Anyways I'm not here to collect. I'm here to try and continually find the best rotation of about 3 for me. It's near impossible with the constant releases so I keep reading and waiting to buy the right ones...niche or designer.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I've got about 12 and I'm trying hard to keep it that way- one in one out. I don't like that bourgeois collector thing with storage fridges and unused scents packed in their boxes.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got about 12 and I'm trying hard to keep it that way- one in one out. I don't like that bourgeois collector thing with storage fridges and unused scents packed in their boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Spoombung, you say things so well - I couldn't agree more! Replace the figure "12" from Spoombung's response with "about 40" and you've got exactly what I would have said, haha. With the vast array of different fragrance types and main themes out there, 12 is too few for me, but I have the exact same principle of "one in one out" - and I practice it with the utmost brutal consistency! The last part on bourgeois collector attitudes, packaging fetichism etc. is spot on, IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by amw9490 View Post
    Personally, I have around 55 fragrances but am working hard on reducing it to the 25 - 30 range. I have sampled and collected enough fragrances to find what I like and what I want to keep. I have bottles such as Roadster, Body Kouros, etc. that are pleasant but not needed. I guess I'm just saying that I'm not interested in seeing how many fragrances I can acquire, but rather keep what I know I'll use on a regular basis.
    I'm in the same moment of my hobby. I need to reduce the number of bottles to maybe 20-25. I don't see the point in keeping fragrances that I can't find a time to wear. I'd rather buy 40 samples than one bottle at this stage...

I'm looking to keep it to around 20 as well. With lots of samples to keep me busy in case I want to venture outside my comfort zone
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Dcampbell

I got up to 20 and now I am down to 7. I am eventually going to stick to around 3 to 4. When I first started I wanted anything and everything that smelled good. Then I came to a hard realization that I will NEVER use the amount of juice I was buying. Made me look at how much money I was throwing away. Once I found my solid core of scents that I couldn't go without I was happy to get rid of the rest. I'll miss the others, but I'd never have the time to wear them. Having a job where the policy is scent free really helps me keep a small collection.

I have 22, and I`m satisfied. After a long fragrance journey, I feel the ring is closed. I`m back where I started, and appreciate the fragrances that brought me into this hobby even more.

19 full bottles, 5 decants and 58 samples here.
    I would like to get down to 10-15 bottles of stuff that I really love. I dont want full bottles of anything worse than 5 stars or even 5 starers that doesnt suit my personality/image. Samples and decants satisfies my variety needs just well.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

I've got about 15 in my collection, and 2 will make their way to Goodwill eventually. I could see keeping maybe 20 full bottles plus however many samples and decants, but that's about it for me.

Blog Entries

I try to keep my collection within the 30-35 range, but I make sure to sample fragrances that I find interesting.

I think a 30-50 perfume collection is very doable.
    You'd basically have the top three of each of each genre.

for swap/sale:

Right now I have 12 bottles. But I have half of my collection up for sale. I have no need for that many scents. 6, maybe 8 is the most I need. I really want to get those bottles sold, because they are just in the way.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I've been in this hobby a year. I have 20 designer fragrances. Since my tastes have changed, around 8 of them are soon to be sold and swapped, leaving me with a rotation of 12. There are probably 12 more designers I want, putting my intended designer collection at 24.

As for niche, so far I plan on adding 6 niche, but probably more when I try them.

I'm at around the 40 Bottle range right now, but about 2 months ago, I said to myself that I am going to buy anything that really interests me (within reason), test and then cull down. I would be happy if I could get to around 25.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

A few months after starting Basenotes, I was adamant that my wardrobe wouldn’t go beyond 20 bottles, while striving not to own more than 15 until I became more experienced. Like Oslo-Fjord, I now feel the ring is closing. I currently own 15 but am planning to purchase 2-3 bottles quite soon (and I now know exactly what I’m looking for). Once I own 18, that’s pretty much it for me.

The most I owned at any one point was 18, btw.

As I've said on other threads, somewhere between 25-30 is my sweet spot. I'm at 30 right now. Any less than 20 and I feel limited, any more than 35 and I feel overwhelmed.

Blog Entries

I keep my collection at around 20. I only buy fragrances that I truly love. There are many many fragrances that I like but they don't overwhelm me. Even If I had unlimited money, I wouldn't add many more to my collection. Rotating through 20 keeps me from getting tired of something, and from having too many to choose from. Several choices for different seasons/day/night.

I do my best to keep it under 25, selling off those I don't wear. I definitely went through a stage where I was buying anything that was interesting if the price was really good. I got over that and now just want a tight collection of stuff I really love and think are special. I just wasn't wearing that stuff that was good but not great.
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

I think that if you are just wearing, then 25-30 is a very reasonable size. For just daily wear, I could get by with half of that number.

I actually own over 100 - many of those I don't regularly wear. As I've said before, I think of many of these as a sort of olfactory art collection. I also have multiple bottles of different concentrations, and reformulated or discontinued perfumes that I or my wife wear that I want to know I'll have for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    What do you mean by "bourgeois"? I'm not offended, but in context you use it, it sort of sounds like I'm meant to be. Are you saying that anyone that collects things is "bourgeios"?

According to Merriam-Webster, the definition is:

1: of, relating to, or characteristic of the social middle class

2: marked by a concern for material interests and respectability and a tendency toward mediocrity

3: dominated by commercial and industrial interests
    I'm trying to decide whether one of these describes me.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Half a dozen bottles, no more than that.

My wardrobe is smaller..partly because of finances. Though, not sure if I would buy a lot if money was no problem. I would have to really like the scent..otherwise I won't use it. Unless I got into collecting. Idk.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I think a 30-50 perfume collection is very doable.
    You'd basically have the top three of each of each genre.
    I keep my collection at approximately 35 - 45 bottles!
    Once in a while I sell or give away the ones that are no longer interesting enough to keep.
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 18th October 2012 at 06:16 PM.

Wow!My 3-4 bottles mentioned above is way below average here. But I'm just patient and run through my 3-4 so quickly that I know my ADD will have me grabbing another 3-4 after those and so on and so on and so on. 3-4 rotate. Though I think 2 of the bottles will always be London and TdH
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I have 26 at the moment. I could easily ditch 2 of them. I have about 4 I'm seriously considering buying. So 25-30 does seem to be a sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I have 26 at the moment. I could easily ditch 2 of them. I have about 4 I'm seriously considering buying. So 25-30 does seem to be a sweet spot.
    Of my "sweet spot" collection, it seems that at least a dozen are always in danger of being swapped/sold.

So I'd say that my true "keepers" are around a dozen scents that I can't see parting with.

I've got 4 full bottles, and have managed to whittle my sample / decant collection down from over 30 to 7. 2 or 3 of those will end up as full bottle purchases. I have had more full bottles in the past, but I've found that too many options leads to none at all! I like it nice and simple.

I keep my wardrobe at around 6; 1 daytime for each season, 1 for travel, 1 for nightlife/special occasions.

I'm trying to keep it down to 5-10 bottles that I really love. I could never be w/o Egoiste , Fahrenheit or TdH , so these 3 will always be in my collection . As for the other ones , I always rotate them ( one in , one out ) .

I've never had more than 3 bottles in my collection. Not always the same, except Vetiver Tonka. I think of fragrance as art: you might like paintings but you don't have to buy yourself a museum
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

In my opinion, it's just a matter of approach. Personally I like to compare fragrances to music. I own something like 15.000 records and I still don't consider myself a collector. The point is that I buy the records I like, it doesn't matter if they're limited editions, special editions or collectabilities. At this point, I should probably ask myself: How many records would make an ideal library?

Any answer would be pretty pointless IMO. You can never get enough of music (if you're into music).

Same is for fragrance. That said, the more I get familiar with the stuff, the more I'm interested in discovering the origin of everything (exactly what happened with music as well). This have leaden me to the point that I'm quite disappointed by the majority of the current offerings (with all the due exceptions made) and definitely more keen towards vintage and classics. There's still a "modernist" aspect within me, but it's getting very very very picky and demanding.

How many fragrances I own you can see it from my wardrobe.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I'm going to do my best to stay under 100 samples and 30 bottles this year. I'm not making any promises for next year though.

Basenotes Plus

I personally prefer I smaller collection, i think I have 70 bottle at the moment. I have tried to bring it down to say 50, but I can't. I already have just the ones I love and wear, And there's still so much thing I must have so...
    Right now I say: who cares? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    In my opinion, it's just a matter of approach. Personally I like to compare fragrances to music. I own something like 15.000 records and I still don't consider myself a collector. The point is that I buy the records I like, it doesn't matter if they're limited editions, special editions or collectabilities. At this point, I should probably ask myself: How many records would make an ideal library?

Any answer would be pretty pointless IMO. You can never get enough of music (if you're into music).

Same is for fragrance. That said, the more I get familiar with the stuff, the more I'm interested in discovering the origin of everything (exactly what happened with music as well). This have leaden me to the point that I'm quite disappointed by the majority of the current offerings (with all the due exceptions made) and definitely more keen towards vintage and classics. There's still a "modernist" aspect within me, but it's getting very very very picky and demanding.

How many fragrances I own you can see it from my wardrobe.

I respect that viewpoint as well. I just feel like I have spent way too much money on collecting fragrances when I should have been more picky on what I bought. I'd rather use the extra money for a car.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

I end up really liking only about 10% of what I try. In a couple of years' time I hope I have about 30 names that I enjoy, my bathrooms will be decorated with the nice, colorful bottles and I will turn my energies to new projects.

Hm, I'm not really a collector and I want to use my frags. Still it is more to me than just a commodity for usage. It is also art, and I find it satisfactory to have the choice. It doesn't necessarily have to be hundreds of bottles, in many cases a decant will be sufficient. At the moment I have about 50 to 60 bottles (some bought second hand, what a collector probably would not o) and another 50 decants. I might get rid of say 5 to 10 but could not limit myself to only 20 or 30. Most of the scents I have I do enjoy a lot. And even if I cannot use all of them on a regular basis I know exactly that if I sold one of those I would miss it later...

ive had upwards of 50, but i am down to just over a dozen. at some point you just commit to using what you have LMAO.

I'm same position as the OP. I peaked at over sixty bottles, and have been working to slim down my collection by giving away or using up stuff. I have essentially stopped purchasing scents for now and hope that, in conjunction with using up some ofwhat I own, will get me down to 25 or so bottles in the next couple years. That will allow me to wear scents I love everyday, and not waste time on scents I just like.

I must have a huge problem!! I've only been in this fragrance game for about a year now and have acquired 83 full bottles and at least 50 samples and I still have many more that I would like to add to the collection.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

I've got a little under 20 by now, and I think I have way too much. Too many of those were impulse buys, too. I should downsize my collection considerably.

trying to cut down, but i'm failing

since i'm failing at it, so i can't be bother trying
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

I only buy fragrances I absolutely love (not just like) and can see myself wearing in specific situations. Consequently, I own 5-7 bottles at any one time. Each fragrance plays an active role in my wardrobe, or I replace it.
    Last edited by MysteryBuff40; 30th March 2013 at 06:13 AM.

I only owned about 4 fragrances my first year on Basenotes, but then I bought about 12 each year since then, and 4 years later I now own 50 bottles. It grew pretty fast! Imagine if I was buying more than a fragrance a month...

50 is the limit for me (I've already found my holy grails and don't plan to buy anymore), but I think I'd be perfectly happy with 10. I guess I'm just lucky I could afford everything I wanted but didn't necessarily need.
    Sales thread here