Code of Conduct

Default Completely New to Fragrance, Learning What I Like

Hi, all. As the thread title says, I'm (almost) completely new to the world of fragrance, and still trying to figure out what I like in a scent product. I say almost because, as a lad, I was gifted with a bottle of Drakkar Noir, and hated it so much that I completely wrote off fragrance for years afterward. I've occasionally tried to find something I might like since then, but every time I've become discouraged after finding that so many popular men's fragrances smell to a greater or lesser extent just like the stuff I couldn't stand before.

That being said, it's occurred to me that with so many small perfumeries on the internet making so many interesting-sounding blends, surely somebody makes something that I'd like. And so, in my quest to find that magical scent, I'm trying to learn what it was in the things I didn't care for that I should steer clear of, and what notes I'm likely to enjoy.

So, any advice for me?

Banned

Default Re: Completely New to Fragrance, Learning What I Like

Start with lighter scents. Your taste will grow gradually. Test some fragrances and just tell us what you liked or not.

I would recommend starting with something like "Gendarme" or "Mugler Cologne" which are light and clean and not particularly "cologne-y" (you smell freshly showered and dry cleaned) as the base of your collection and then giving yourself some time to sniff and explore while you look for something distinct that clicks with you.

The very first fragrance that resonates with you may not be the "one", but it will give you a jumping off point to describe what you like so that people can chime in with other suggestions in the same vein.

But here is a question - if you had to pick a smell that exists in the real world that would be the way you smell, what would it be? Starbucks coffee? A new car? Fresh cut grass? A grapefruit? Laundry detergent?

For me, it would be the synthetic smell of freshly unboxed electronics. Which is why I love the Comme des Garcons line.

Obtain as many samples as you can so you can calibrate your taste from what you like to that which you dislike.

Perhaps try Monsieur Balmain

I just made a list of the kinds of things I liked to smell and then researched here on fragrance directory and also searching the forums... You can be wquite abstract when thinking about smells, especially when asking on the boards, theres always someone who will help!
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Creed Baie de Genievre
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere
    Parfum d'Empire Aziyade
    MFK Lumiere Noire
    Etat Libre d'Orange Noel au Balcon
    Etat Libre d'Orange Delicious Closet Queen
    Guerlain Habit Rouge

There ain't no devil - that's just god when he's drunk

Basenotes Member

See if you can identify commonalities in the fragrances you don't like. For instance, I don't like powdery fragrances so I've steered clear of aldehydes and iris. Also try as much as you can. I never expected to like a tobacco smell (hate smoke) but I love the smooth pipe tobacco smell in Tobacco Vanille. Go into your local sephora/dillards/nordstrom whatever you have and try as much as you can stand. You can also try to order some of the "sampler" sample sets that have a scent from each "class" of scents or, once you've decided on a scent you like ex: incense, citrus, vetiver, you can order a batch of samples that fall under that category and see which you like best.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't blame you. Drakkar Noir isn't exactly a masterful scent.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I wouldn't blame you. Drakkar Noir isn't exactly a masterful scent.
    haha, true...however, as a young teen, this was my 1st (& only) cologne choice, which I stuck with for several years before branching out. Man did I love that stuff. It just became WAY too overdone and overused at the time and I burned out on it from there. I actually intentionally didn't smell it again until just recently. Brought back good memories & I actually really enjoyed the smell again....just enough to buy and wear it again.

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    haha, true...however, as a young teen, this was my 1st (& only) cologne choice, which I stuck with for several years before branching out. Man did I love that stuff. It just became WAY too overdone and overused at the time and I burned out on it from there. I actually intentionally didn't smell it again until just recently. Brought back good memories & I actually really enjoyed the smell again....just enough to buy and wear it again.
    I still have a 1.7oz bottle sitting in my drawer. Not a bad scent, but it's nothing special (I'll wear it on nights out where I just want to "smell like something").

OP, give us somewhere to start . What scents do you generally see yourself wearing? Perhaps sweet scents like gourmands, or possibly woody fragrances? Let us know what you find appealing, in general, and you'll have a plethora of suggestions.

If the smell of DN made you "avoid fragrances for years," then I don't think the world of fragrances is going to be your cup of tea.

Dependent

try chanel safe stuff
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Sample as much as possible. It's the best way to define your general tastes in fragrances. Once you have done that, we can help steer you to the fragrances that you're most likely to enjoy.

Oh, and WELCOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Obtain as many samples as you can so you can calibrate your taste from what you like to that which you dislike.
    This. Then go to decants. Much, much cheaper to do it this way than to spend money on bottles that just look good on your shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

This. Play on this site. Find other sites, blogs, frag reviews, etc to see what scents others like. You'll start to notice patterns as to what sounds good to YOU. Test the ones in the local stores as often as you can...look to buy samples of the ones you can't find. In short: just research, play, and enjoy.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Smell lots of fragrances. Read boards and reviews for information but don't take the opinions too seriously. Keep an open mind and decide that you're not going to hate anything so much that you swear off fragrance - don't take it that personally. You'll only learn what you like through trial and error, so be patient.

Encre Noire...This is a MUST BUY.

It will instantly readjust your perspective on fragrance.
    It is outstanding as well as pleasingly affordable!

Quote Originally Posted by walkdogg View Post
    Encre Noire...This is a MUST BUY.

It will instantly readjust your perspective on fragrance.
    It is outstanding as well as pleasingly affordable!
    I'd agree with your post IF you said a MUST SAMPLE.

Please don't blind buy Encre Noire. Some of us (I know I'm not alone!) really hate it. I love the idea and I almost love the execution but I find the dry down to be just too synthetic. I would definitely say it is a must sample though - it is unique and will adjust your perspective on fragrance!

A few other "must-sample" fragrances, just to get a baseline of what you like or don't:

Narciso Rodriguez PH
    M7
    Kouros
    Acqua di Gio
    L'eau d'Issey
    Armani Code
    A*Men
    1 Million
    Fahrenheit
    Pi
    Bleu De Chanel
    Terre d'Hermes

If you try the above and give us your thoughts on them, we'll be much more able to direct you towards scents in the style(s) you like.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more