Code of Conduct

Question Annick Goutal - I think I got a good deal, now I have a question :)

So, I tried staying away from Perfumania today, but I was exploring a new mall to me and couldn't resist going in I only bought a few things and then I saw a coffret of Annick Goutal (mandragore, Eau d'Hadrien and Les Nuits d'Hadrien). I had heard about AG but have never tried any of them. I seemed to remember them being well liked and did a quick check on basenotes from my phone and saw some positive feedback so I picked up the set and was contemplating the $59.99 price tag and lamenting not printing out my $10 coupon. Then the SA said since it was on sale I wouldn't be able to use the coupon anyway; I had not seen the large sign saying All these sets are $29.99... that made my decision easy! Then the SA said there are 2 different sets and without even looking at the other I grabbed it as well.

I didn't realize that the other set seems to be for women. One is labeled as Fresh and contains all unisex frags, the other is "sensual" and appears to be all feminine (Petite Cherie, Songes and Grand Amour)

MY QUESTION (finally) Should I keep the feminine set or return it? I've worn feminine scents before and am a believer of the saying "Fragrance has no genitalia" but am wondering if any other guys out there wear the feminine ones.

I should add the sets were supposed to be $39.99 each, but were put out on the wrong shelf and the SA honored the price and gave them to me for $29.99 each, so I think I got a pretty good deal

Thanks for your thoughts and here's a pic.

-Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Default Re: Annick Goutal - I think I got a good deal, now I have a question :)

I often use fragrances which are marketed at women, but although I've tried and I've tried, I just can't seem to find a female Goutal I like. The unisex and male are fabulous mostly, but I find a lot of the female ones to be a bit decaying-floral-ish.

EDIT: I wouldn't return it, though, as it could be a wonderful present for a mother, sister, wife or girlfriend.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Keep it! Songes is the best fragrance out of all six of those!
    Nice deal though

I would make a gift of it as well - nice set.

The first set you got is a pretty cool selection. Check out Mon Parfum Cheri par Camille & Duel sometime - also both cool Goutals, MPC is a patch/chypre with a classic vibe and Duel has a great outdoorsy dried hay feel.

Sounds like you got a great deal - what size are the bottles? I just finished a sample of Eau d'hadrien and am very impressed - except for the longevity. It takes some beating among traditional citrus scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    Sounds like you got a great deal - what size are the bottles? I just finished a sample of Eau d'hadrien and am very impressed - except for the longevity. It takes some beating among traditional citrus scents.
    The bottles are all 25 ml. I just put on Eau d'Hadrien like you I was very impressed and like you I noticed the longevity leaves a lot to be desired, but I am still happy!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Keep it. It's a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post
    MY QUESTION (finally) Should I keep the feminine set or return it?
    Return it and get something else.

Well hell, I think I might go to my nearest Perfumania and see if they have that set! You got a great deal so I say keep it or sell it on eBay later. Petite Cherie is one of my favorites, and the bottles look beautiful.

Basenotes Plus

Try layering them too. Grand Amour with Eau d'Hadrien. Petite Cherie with Le Nuits d'Hadrian. Experiment.

I personally think you got a fantastic deal and I'd keep them all.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Return it, and get Sables instead

What a great deal! Keep it! As others have said, you can always give away the bottles as gift if you don't like them. I too think that Songes is the best of the sets, a great jasmine that will work nicely for men and women. The Hadriens are known to be fleeting, as most citruses are, since they had to be reformulated after IFRA restricted oakmoss and certain citruses. Still, they smell great as long as they last. One can always reapply.

Which store is it? I should stop by myself...

cacio

Great deal! Enjoy your purchase. Also try yourself some Sables if you get the chance. Intriguing stuff.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Pretty good deal, keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

Which store is it? I should stop by myself...

cacio
    It was the Perfumania at the Oakland mall in Detroit.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback, I feel good about getting these and will experiment with them soon. Now, after almost a month, it's back to work again where they got Pure Leather in while I was away. Can't wait!!