Code of Conduct

Default Scent preference and age?

Hi all, Izzie's thread about house preference got me wondering: how do your scent preferences change with age? What mainstream frags did you like at 20 that you didn't like at 30, 40, 50 vice versa, etc.

I was just curious because I'm 20, and I recently got to try some of the very popular mainstream frags, and I didn't find them all that special. I'm wondering if it's an age or exposure thing.

Default Re: Scent preference and age?

Interestingly enough, over almost four decades, my scent preferences haven't changed. I still like everything I have in my collection.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I used to , in my 20's, like the powerhouse fragrances of the 80's and I still do, but now in my 40's I'm finding myself becoming interested in unisex and some femme frags. I still love the frags in my collection though.

I would agree, my preferences changed quite a bit. I'm in my mid 30s and I really can't pull off any of the "trendy" fragrances or something that younger people might like to wear. All the Fierce, Le Male, One Million stuff... it's just not me anymore.
    I still like very few of the fragrances I use to wear years ago, Minotaure especially, but I came to appreciate the classics much more: Vetiver Guerlain, Apres L'Ondee, and some other fragrances perceived as "mature".
    Then again, I guess I just had the chance to smell more quality stuff, and now I can tell the difference.
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

In my 20's I was all about the powerhouses (Kouros, Polo, etc.). Now in my 40's, I find the Creed/Bond No. 9 types of aromatic scents are more of my preference. I also prefer the peppery spicy scents like TDH, Rochas Lui and BANG.

I am really not connected to aquatics, and just barely connected to the gourmand types. The Issey's, ADG's are not for me.

Given the nature of this board, I'm wondering how much the changes in preference have to do with exposure to new and different scents or maybe just becoming more discriminating based on that exposure and not just age? Just a thought.

Regards,
    Steve

My tastes in fragrance were rather anachronistic and rather "mistimed", at least what the mainstream would expect the
    particular age categories I went through to wear.

I started out with 14 wearing almost exclusively powerhouses, continued with purchasing powerhouses when I was 16 and only got bitten by the "gourmand bug", as well as by a penchant for more youthful scents in my mid to late twenties, so I rather tend to like the scents almost irrespective of any age factor.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    In my 20's I was all about the powerhouses (Kouros, Polo, etc.). Now in my 40's, I find the Creed/Bond No. 9 types of aromatic scents are more of my preference. I also prefer the peppery spicy scents like TDH, Rochas Lui and BANG.

I am really not connected to aquatics, and just barely connected to the gourmand types. The Issey's, ADG's are not for me.
    52 and agree with this. Wore Oscar, Paco Rabanne, the first Calvin, Oscar pour Lui. Also dont like aquatics or leather, or too powdery. Barbershop-like scents also out. But I am seeing more in a gourmand-like vibe and finding some vanilla is okay.

I'm 42, but my preferences are more in line with someone in their 20s. I prefer modern fragrances and have no issue with wearing aquatics or really sweet gourmands. I honestly very rarely ever wore fragrances when I was a teenager (in the 80s), because I absolutely hate powerhouse scents. Drakkar Noir, Polo Green, etc., I hated then & hate even more now. Really the only older fragrances I care for are a few sweeter orientals and woody/spicy scents. But any old man, animalistic notes and I can't deal with them. One of the few scents I wore and liked in my teens in the 80s was Stetson. I liked it because it was sweet and closer to women's scents, which I did like. But I'm not a "macho" type at all, and those loud powerhouse fougere type scents that most wore just made me sick.

Anyway, I'll take today's more unisex scents any day over those older scents from my younger days.

Sound Scents

Honestly, 20 years later I like the same ones... There are many additional ones I like now that I never tried back then, but of the ones I wore, I still wear them today.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I'm in my early 40's. In my 20's I enjoyed more powerhouse fragrances such as Paco Robanne Pour Homme, Polo Green, Vintage Givenchy Gentlemen, Vintage YSL Jazz, Drakkar Noir, Joop, etc. I still enjoy those fragrances very much but fragrances have come a long way since that time. Male fragrances today tend to be more toned down, aquatic, ozonic, etc. many are also flower based. I have come to appreciate most fragrances produced today as I adore Dior Homme Intense, Spicebomb, Givenchy Play Intense, Tobacco Vanille, Jaipur Homme, Prada's Amber Pour Homme Intense, and so on. Still love my power house fragrances but have broadened my spectrum when it comes to lighter more versatile scents.

When I was younger (early teens) I loved fresh scents. Everything else was too feminine. Now, I wear fresh scents, but love everything else. Woody, gourmand, fruits, etc.

Basenotes Plus

I've always loved the classic masculines such as Armani Eau pH, Polo, etc. But I no longer wear Sports fragrances and can better appreciate florals and the more feminine scents. It has more to do with knowledge gained on Basenotes and exposure to better constructed fragrances than advancing age.

- - - Updated - - -

I've always loved the classic masculines such as Armani Eau pH, Polo, etc. But I no longer wear Sports fragrances and can better appreciate florals and the more feminine scents. It has more to do with knowledge gained on Basenotes and exposure to better constructed fragrances than advancing age.

The ability to pick up more in a fragrance as I experience smelling more and more has broadened my taste more than anything else. I wouldn't say my tastes have changed much though.