Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best italian fragrance for men

Hi All,

Which is the best italian fragrance for men?

Cheers!!!!!

Default Re: Best italian fragrance for men

My favorite Italian fragrances are

Ungaro III
    Lancetti via Condotti pour homme

Acqua Di Parma Colonia
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta

I'll definitely second Acqua di Parma Colonia. Although my favorite fragrance is Mazzolari Lui (also Italian), I have to say AdP beats it in terms of smelling very Italian or Mediterranean in overall feel. It's delightful.

AdP Colonia
    AdP Assoluta
    Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo
    Lorenzo Villoresi Acqua di Colonia
    Armani pour homme
    Santa Maria Novella Colonia

Acqua di Parma Colonia also. The fragrance I reach for most frequently.

I second ADP and Ungaro III

Other suggestions would include Trussardi Uomo, Very Valentino, Armani and Versace PH

Laura Tonatto is propably the best italian perfumer for years and her creations for Carthusia and her own line are very italian - sanguineous, hot tempered and voluptuous!

Albi, Ré, Amir, Oltre and Carthusia Uno are great frags, IMO!

Mazzolari is another very good but quite expensive brand. Their Lui, Patchouly and Mazzolari (signature) are bold and extravagant scents, real head-turner.
    Last edited by sables; 15th November 2009 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    My favorite Italian fragrances are
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Totally

I will further endorse Acqua di Parma Colonia, and add another favourite of mine, Baraja by Acqua di Biella
    Last edited by Bartlebooth; 15th November 2009 at 02:05 PM.

The original Acqua di Parma Colonia (worn this for over a decade)
    Villoresi Uomo & Mazzolari Lui (since coming to basenotes and can't imagine livng without them)
    Antico Caruso is hardly 'typical' but just a great simple almond comfort scent

I'm also very interested to explore more of the Italian houses . . .

2012 Update:

Acqua di Colonia & Yerbamaté (very unusual) from Lorenzo Villoresi
    Santa Maria Novella has a house style - personal favorites Fienno & Melograno
    Lalfeorosa is also the one from O'Driu that appeals to me
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 30th May 2012 at 05:16 AM.

Lorenzo Villoresi (Uomo, Spezie, Vetiver, Piper Nigrum, Yerbamate)
    Mazzolari (Mazzolari, Lui)
    Profumum (Fumidus, Olibanum)
    Trussardi (Uomo, Inside Man)
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 15th November 2009 at 01:31 PM.

acqua di parma is probably the most popular Italian fragrance, and definitely one of the best.
    others that come to mind are MISSONI UOMO(1983), GIANFRANCO FERRE FOR MAN
    (the original 1986) GRIGIOPERLA( by laperla) and UNGARO I,II,III.

Villoresi Uomo
    AdP Colonia Assoluta

FYI guys: Ungaro is a French company. Emanuel Ungaro is of Italian ancestry but was born in Province, France and his business is and always was based in Paris. I worked with his company in the mid-80s for about 4 years.

Lots of great recommendations already, and I also like Villoresi's Vetiver, Colonia (+ Assoluta) and Trussardi Uomo very much.

Not yet mentioned, and among my favorite Italian fragrances

Romeo Gigli per Uomo
    Spazio Krizia Uomo
    Roma Uomo (Biagiotti)
    Fresco di Vetiver (I Profumi di Firenze)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    FYI guys: Ungaro is a French company. Emanuel Ungaro is of Italian ancestry but was born in Province, France and his business is and always was based in Paris. I worked with his company in the mid-80s for about 4 years.

The three Ungaros, I, II, and III, are very much in the French tradition of perfumery, and all three fragrances were created or co-created by the two doyens of French perfumery François Demachy and Jacques Polge.

This is a difficult question to answer really. It would require first defining and then separating the quintessential characteristics of the Italian tradition of perfumery from that of the French. I think the two are inextricably intertwined, and so it would take quite a bit of thought to answer the question accurately along these lines, if it were, indeed, asked along these lines. Of course, if it is more a question of which is the best Italian brand fragrance for men, then that's a different and easier questions to answer.

scentemental

... and the Acqua di Parma brand is a late 20th century revival of a pre WW2 family enterprise. I doubt the Cologne is now only half as popular within Italy than the first twelve colognes of Santa Maria Novella have been between Firenze and Napoli in the south, or Torino and Trieste in the north - for a whole century. The effective owner of the ADP brand is Louis Vuitton, and the better part of colognes was probably born outside of Italy. The Assoluta had two creators: J C Ellena and Bertrand Duchauffour. Smilarly , Francis Kurkdjian and Francoise Caron signed for Iris Nobile.

As to the best (beyond SMN): how about The Domenico Caraceni 1928 brand?

And whatever devil may have ridden the most famous perfume critic (of Italian origin !) when he wrote about that master in Firenze - Lorenzo Villoresi definitely deserves being named among the best! I also trust there is no doubts about his italianita...
    Last edited by narcus; 16th November 2009 at 06:36 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Acqua di Parma looks like the popular choice here, but I suggest Domenico Caraceni 1913

I believe its limited availability is a blessing and a curse...
    Last edited by StylinLA; 15th November 2009 at 05:26 PM.

Would any of you include any of the Eau d'Italie fragrances on this list? I like them a lot, and several would be excellent on a man, I think.
    Last edited by Haunani; 15th November 2009 at 05:50 PM.

Versace l'homme is among my favorites.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Your comment made not too long related to "perfume buffonery" or something like that (not connected to Ungaro) I still value for its precision...when describing a fair number of Italian scent offerings...

Carthusia Uomo is the one I prefer the most.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Acqua di Parma looks like the popular choice here, but I suggest Domenico Caraceni 1913

I believe its limited availability is a blessing and a curse...
    Good call. I forgot about Domenico Caraceni. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

The three Ungaros, I, II, and III, are very much in the French tradition of perfumery, and all three fragrances were created or co-created by the two doyens of French perfumery François Demachy and Jacques Polge.

This is a difficult question to answer really. It would require first defining and then separating the quintessential characteristics of the Italian tradition of perfumery from that of the French. I think the two are inextricably intertwined, and so it would take quite a bit of thought to answer the question accurately along these lines, if it were, indeed, asked along these lines. Of course, if it is more a question of which is the best Italian brand fragrance for men, then that's a different and easier questions to answer.

scentemental
    Sounds absurd maybe...but for me the differences appear when even looking at an Ungaro necktie...

My vote strictly goes to Lorenzo Villoresi and Profumum respectively for their Spezie, Piper Nigrum, Sandalo, Incensi and Thundra, Fiore di Ambra and Acqua di Sale.

So, yeah, there isn't just one best Italian scent for either gender.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Best italian fragrance for men

I can't believe it. I don't see one mention of 10 Corso Como which, is my suggestion for best Italian fragrance.

Moschino Uomo

Profumum Victrix
    Eau d`Italie Sienne I`Hiver
    Eau d`Italie Bois d`Ombrie
    Bois 1920 Vetiver Ambrato

Basenotes Plus

Lots of excellent recommendations here. I'll add
    Versace The Dreamer, as well as a few from Etro: Mahogany, Shaal Nur, Vetiver, Sandalo
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    scentemental
    I'm game and I'm up to a good drubbing. I think there is a relatively clear Italian tradition of perfumery that shares many characteristics with Italian cuisine - I am skating on frost now, someone send in the clowns.
    I think Italian perfumery is characterized by a much more holistic use of materials, less blending, less abstraction, the ample use of hesperidic notes and herbs and an absence of animalistic, unwashed notes. Case in point Lorenzo Villoresi's approach as well as Santa Maria Novella's.
    I think the Italian tradition is close to the English tradition, minus the lavender.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 16th November 2009 at 12:09 AM.

Eau d`Italie - Paestum Rose
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

I'm game and I'm up to a good drubbing. I think there is a relatively clear Italian tradition of perfumery that shares many characteristics with Italian cuisine - I am skating on frost now, someone send in the clowns.
    I think Italian perfumery is characterized by a much more holistic use of materials, less blending, less abstraction, the ample use of hesperidic notes and herbs. Case in point Lorenzo Villoresi's approach as well as Santa Maria Novella's.
    I think the Italian tradition is close to the English tradition, minus the lavender.
    Yeah, I call it "Mediterranean minimalism". It's also evident if you'd contrast Italian and French cuisines.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Who can resist Acqua di Parma Colonia?

From the designer shelves :

Ungaro I
    Versace L'Homme
    Pino Silvestre
    Vendetta PH
    Moschino PH

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Lots of excellent recommendations here. I'll add
    Versace The Dreamer, as well as a few from Etro: Mahogany, Shaal Nur, Vetiver, Sandalo
    Oh yeah, I love Etro!

"the best" denotes choosing only the top rank:

Acqua Di Parma Colonia

Acqua di Parma Lavanda Tonica
    Antico Caruso
    Carthusia Uomo

Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo and Spezie

Trussardi Uomo

Hillaire

I like Gucci Pour Homme and Nobile

I also love the old powerhouses of Fendi Uomo and Krizia Uomo

1. Benetton Sport
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver.

Renato

In this one thread alone there's several definitions of 'Italian'. Namely, is the company's history grounded in Italy? is the style of the range recognisably Italinate? are the perfumers Italians? and is the non-Italian company's marketing Italian?

In terms of aesthetics, Italian perfume to me means boldness, simplicity and high contrast over subtlety, complexity and gradation, which I find more to French qualities.
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 16th November 2009 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hide & Reason View Post
    In terms of aesthetics, Italian perfume to me means boldness, simplicity and high contrast over subtlety, complexity and gradation, which I find more to French qualities.
    Most fans are certainly guided by an Italian name of either brand or fragrance. All other definitions are a little tricky, I agree. And the qualities you listed, including 'French' qualities, can all be found in fragrances of brands mentioned before (like SMN or Villoresi) and not mentioned so far, like ETRO.

In looking through some files I miss Italians in whatever lists of perfumers. Especially Bulgari seems to have engaged French perfumers too. Their fragrances are as Italian as Creeds could be called English. - Modern perfumes are loosing any kind of national character in our global world dominated by a perfume industry acting like one huge cartel tying producers, luxury brand owners, and their trading entities together.
    Last edited by narcus; 16th November 2009 at 09:59 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Acqua Di Parma Colonia and Assoluta are awesome, but I'm also a huge fan of the clean and fresh Iris Nobile as well.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I believe CERUTTI-Image deserves a place here.

PawelL

FENDI THEOREMA UOMO, scandalously no longer in production

Calé Fragranze d'Autore - Mistero

My best Italian-named, French-made fragrance by a French designer of Italian descent - Vintage Ungaro III

Uomo? Moschino

Acqua Di Selva has garnered some nice compliments. I often put some on after my lunchtime swim.

Lorenzo Villoresi
    Mazzolari
    Profumum Roma
    Carthusia
    BOIS 1920
    MARCO DA VENEZIA
    Nobile 1942
    Profumo di Pantelleria - Most southern island of Italy.
    I PROFUMI DI FIRENZE

Versace Man Eau Fraîche (in my limited experience)
    Last edited by M.David; 18th February 2010 at 11:57 PM.

Xerjoff
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciprian View Post
    I believe CERUTTI-Image deserves a place here.
    I wore this for years when I was younger! It's a great, and relatively underappreciated, scent. I also really like the original 1881 from Cerutti. Both are excellent for warmer months.
    +1Million for AdP and i'll throw in Paco PH.

LV - Spezie
    Eau d'Italie - Bois d'Ombrie
    Santa Maria Novella - Melograno

I'm being very brave to select just one fragrance from each house since "the best" was asked for, with some misgivings as these houses are loaded with great options for men.
    Last edited by asingleman; 19th February 2010 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Xerjoff
    Ah yes! XerJoff Homme is King!

Nino Cerruti
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Ungaro III
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Would any of you include any of the Eau d'Italie fragrances on this list? I like them a lot, and several would be excellent on a man, I think.
    I would.

+1 Trussardi Uomo
    +1 Ungaro III

And of course -> Grigio Perla by La Perla.