Code of Conduct

Default Perfume ml question

I've seen that some perfumes are not filled to the max in their bottles, for example it seems like a 100ml bottle has only 85-90ml perfume? Is this some factory error or something else?
    Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Perfume ml question

It's more likely that the bottle is capable of holding 110 ml but the bottle is only filled to 100 ml. I'd be very surprised if they left out 10% of the bottle.

Perfumer Andy Tauer explained once that the dispensing machines used to fill bottles measure the liquid precisely. It's just that the bottles don't necessarily have exact capacity, they could be larger, and also, the glass could be blown a little thicker or a little less thick, which would also show up as a difference in level in the liquid.

cacio

I bought Cerrutti 1881, 50ml (in a Sephora shop) but it looks when you put the bottle on a flat surface that it has cca 40ml, i had the same thing with Lagerfeld classic, S. Dali PH...maybe you're right it may be the bottle capacitiy or maybe the thickness of glass

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    It's more likely that the bottle is capable of holding 110 ml but the bottle is only filled to 100 ml. I'd be very surprised if they left out 10% of the bottle.
    Agree.

I've seen some bottles that are marked as "low fill", so maybe that's the case.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    Agree with this. They have to leave a little room for air or else there could be issues with shipping and various temperature changes through transport and storage before it gets to the consumer.

It's the bottle. You'll also notice that some glass is thicker than other glass (when I refer to "glass" I am actually talking about the bottles). Try this: Grab yourself 2 100ml bottles of about the same width. Stand them by each other. Chances are that if one is taller, the other will have "thinner" glass (leaving more space for the juice). Both have 100ml of juice, they are just distributed differently.

Quote Originally Posted by exploretoi View Post
    I've seen some bottles that are marked as "low fill", so maybe that's the case.
    There are gonna be times when the precise machines that measure the juice into the bottles run out of liquid. Then I imagine it is up to the quality department whether those partly filled bottles are sold as seconds or emptied, cleaned and put into another run. Companies that trade on the exclusiveness of their brand are probably not very interested in selling seconds. Other companies, and particularly fakes, may not be so squeamish about these things.

I expect there would not be many jurisdictions where selling short measures would be an acceptable practice under trade description laws.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Perfumer Andy Tauer explained once that the dispensing machines used to fill bottles measure the liquid precisely. It's just that the bottles don't necessarily have exact capacity, they could be larger, and also, the glass could be blown a little thicker or a little less thick, which would also show up as a difference in level in the liquid.

cacio
    Awesome answer...never thought of this, but seems spot on. Thanks for Sharing!!!

ok, great info...thanks guys for all your answers!