Code of Conduct

Default Ambergris / IsoE dominant frags

Whats up everyone. Im back on the hunt for a duo of notes. I dont know exactly how Ambergris smells as a single note, but I do love the colognes that contain it so I have a pretty good idea of its ID. IsoE does well on my skin and I really like the stuff. Im looking for quality in a bottle that contains both notes. Any ideas coming to mind? Oh, Bergamot or Sandalwood would be a huge plus. Suggest away!

Default Re: Ambergris / IsoE dominant frags

Gianfranco Ferrč Bergamotto Marino. Cheap and widely available on discount sites.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I doubt any mainstream or even niche house can afford noticeable amounts of real ambergris. Ditto for sandalwood. But most use various artificial substitutes.

I once saw a list of the frags with the highest percentage of Iso-E, I don't have the link right now, but perhaps it can be found. In any case, the winner was Encre Noire (for men, obviously), which to my nose contains a lot of woody-ambers as well. Some Hermes seem also to have plenty of both (Terre d'Hermes, Voyage, Eau de merveilles). In niche perfumery, to my nose at least the potent Portrait of a lady emanates fumes of woody ambers and iso-e.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Gianfranco Ferrč Bergamotto Marino. Cheap and widely available on discount sites.
    Bergamotto Marino has Iso E Super in it? That's a surprise to me. I'll have to pay more attention next time I wear it.

As far as recommendations go, I'd say Kinski has a lot of both ambergris (ambroxan) and Iso E Super. So does Escentric 02, at least I think. It definitely has a lot of ambroxan.

Other than that, the ultimate, ultimate mix of ambergris and Iso E Super is Light Blue for Women by D&G. If you can wrap your head around the gender label, it's a great fragrance that I know a lot of guys wear and enjoy on BN>
    Sales thread here

I actually love Light Blue for women on women. Labels dont bother me so its something I should try out.

Alfrom- Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a potential winner. Ill definitely check that one out.

The owner of the line has confirmed that this scent contains real ambergris, and to my nose it contains a lot of IES too:

The scent? Let Me Play The Lion by Les Nez. A good dose of dry sandalwood and incense, too.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Also try "A Beautiful Mind" (red bottle, no cap, hologram label with womans face on it) It's made by the boys at Escentric Molecules...specifically by Geza Schoen who is a BIG Iso E Super and Ambroxan user in his stuff.

I find it to have similarities to Light Blue for women (Which I too, as a man, LOVE and wear OFTEN{i like to layer it with darker more earthy scents like Encre Noire or molecule 03 for an awesome effect}) but beautiful mind is more "complete" and can be worn by men too without any self consciousnesses (I also think Kinski is worth a try,... another Geza creation, so it's SURE to have a fair dose of Iso/Ambrox in it)

Some of my other favorites that I am told have high levels of Iso in them are Encre Noire, Kenzo Air - which I love SOOOO much its borders on obsessive

You can also order some ambergris tincture from perfumersapprentice.com - They have an ingredient too called "Grislava" that is worth trying (to educate your nose) and refine your pallet of scents. Also get raw Iso e super here, which I have heard is nearly impossible to smell direct from the bottle!? love to try it sometime myself!

(PS-- Alafrom, I am gonna try Gianfranco Ferrč Bergamotto Marino based soley on your recommendation! CHEERS!)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Bergamotto Marino has Iso E Super in it?
    It has a woody undertone which might seriously be Iso E Super. Beside that, it contains both bergamot and ambergis (probably not real ambergis but I guess that's not the problem in this case).

Quote Originally Posted by walkdogg View Post
    (PS-- Alafrom, I am gonna try Gianfranco Ferrč Bergamotto Marino based soley on your recommendation! CHEERS!)
    While I own a bottle of this stuff (which I payed 19 euros for 200ml), I can't say I'm a hardcore fan of it. My suggestion was made because I felt this fragrance fit the bill of the OP.

Dependent

Creed Bais de Genievre

might have come out before the advent of Iso E, but it definitely has gads of ambroxan and a woodsy vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    While I own a bottle of this stuff (which I payed 19 euros for 200ml), I can't say I'm a hardcore fan of it. My suggestion was made because I felt this fragrance fit the bill of the OP.
    Ahhhh, I see. Completely understand. I will forego my pursuit than. THanks for the clarification Alafrom.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought of another scent that falls very much in line with your primary question, it lists Ambergris and Iso E Super in it's list of notes....

Another 13 by Le Labo

(I cannot believe this didn't pop into my brain first!)

Quote Originally Posted by walkdogg View Post
    Ahhhh, I see. Completely understand. I will forego my pursuit than. THanks for the clarification Alafrom.
    Keep in consideration that this fragrance counts SEVERAL hardcore fans among the most respectable perfumistos...It sells for ridiculously cheap so it's definitely worth checking out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I doubt any mainstream or even niche house can afford noticeable amounts of real ambergris. Ditto for sandalwood. But most use various artificial substitutes.

I once saw a list of the frags with the highest percentage of Iso-E, I don't have the link right now, but perhaps it can be found. In any case, the winner was Encre Noire (for men, obviously), which to my nose contains a lot of woody-ambers as well. Some Hermes seem also to have plenty of both (Terre d'Hermes, Voyage, Eau de merveilles). In niche perfumery, to my nose at least the potent Portrait of a lady emanates fumes of woody ambers and iso-e.

cacio
    i know where you can buy real ambergris but its so so expencive and its one note only....
    sandalwood as well!! very few scents that i know have really beautiful sandalwood thats noticably natural....

i doubt in Hermes terre there is anything natural, it smells really so synthetic, like all other confectionaries...Voyage is empty..

so Iso-E is somethign very synthetic? how it smells like?

thank you!