Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Vanilla-y scents

I like the following:

-Cologne du 68 (agree with above - great scent)
    -Blvgari Black
    -Diptique Eau Duelle
    -VCA Midnight in Paris
    -DHI

I do not like SDV - way too sweet in a bad way IMO.

Tobacco Vanille, Musc Ravageur are great but I save them for night use mainly.

I still want to try to Mona di Oro and also some of the Micallefs including the cuir vanilla, though these seem to be hard to find in decants and arent in local stores to sample.

Caron pour un Homme
    Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

GSDV is possibly the best vanilla scent, however, it is not very manly. Unisex at best.

Other great ones are Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or Vanille, TM Pure Havane, and Creed Sublime Vanille.

And of course, Tobacco Vanille -- IMO, this is the best vanilla scent that could be called "manly" (manly may be a bit of a stretch, but close).
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Creed - Virgin Island Water
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Creed - Original Cologne
    10. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men

Zino Davidoff, manly with a hint of vanilla. Amazing fragrance.

Is Zino in stores?

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Is Zino in stores?
    I got it at TJ Maxx about a month ago. I havent seen it around much though, thats why I grabbed it the second I saw it on the shelf.

Mona di Orio´s Vanille, Habanita by Molinard and Havana Vanille by L´Artisan.
    - A lot of people thinks that they live when the only thing they do is simply exist.

DHI - if you want nice vanilla cake.
    Tobacco Vanille- of course.

Imho Guerlain Spiriteuse DB is not what you are looking for as it is probably the least masculine vanilla I have smelled. It is, however, a fantastic fragrance on a woman.

Midnight in Paris is also great but has a lot more going on than vanilla.

As others have said I would suggest Tonka Imperial based on your taste, even though its more of a sweet tonka/nutty gourmand.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Is Zino in stores?
    I'm not sure about stores save in my area though I've seen it on the shelf. It's also widely available online, and quite inexpensive. There is a bit of controversy surrounding the new bottles and whether or not it has been reformulated. Personally I think if it has it's a decent reformulation, and still a very worthwhile fragrance especially given the price.

Eau Duelle is a less expensive alternative to Spiriteuse Double Vanille IMO.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Tonka Imperiale
    3. Dior Homme
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Oud Wood
    6. Ambre Nuit
    7. L'air Du Desert Marocain
    8. Noir de Noir
    9. Apple Brandy
    10.Straight to Heaven

L' Instant

I'm of the opinion that Spirituese is overrated here, it's much weaker than Tobacco Vanille, and the boozy aspect present up front has actually garnered negative reviews from people around me. Tobacco Vanillle is basically long lasting, projects well, smells very sexy, undeniably vanillaesque, and delivers for me on all fronts. You said you are expecting that in the mail, I think you are going to be amazed.

It really is hard to go past SDV.

For another take - Habit Rouge EDP (I'm refering to the vintage as I haven't tried the reformulation) dries down to a lovely vanilla, similar to Musc Ravageur (another awesome vanilla).

I think the OP will have a lot of fun exploring vanilla notes - there is a great variety of takes on it

one more thing....OP if you haven't tried Le Male and Dior Homme Intense.....they might be what you are looking for

Tobacco Vanille is a great frag, I also like Mona di Orio - Vanille. Have tried SDV but it is supposed to be a benchmark vanilla but very expensive...
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Creed Baie de Genievre
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere
    Parfum d'Empire Aziyade
    MFK Lumiere Noire
    Etat Libre d'Orange Noel au Balcon
    Etat Libre d'Orange Delicious Closet Queen
    Guerlain Habit Rouge

There ain't no devil - that's just god when he's drunk

SDV is anything but masculine. Very sweet

Lush Vanillary - Smokey vanilla with a touch of sandalwood.

Baldessarini Strictly Private - Creamy "creme brulee" vanilla.

Zino Davidoff - Dark vanilla.

Gaultier 2 - Candied Vanilla.

Pure Havane- Cherry Vanilla.

A sample of DHI should be here either tomorrow or Saturday. Can't stress enough how much I'm looking forward to that one based on the things I've read (and my own reaction to DH). My new best bro, Del, has hooked me up with samples of a few of these as well. Should be loaded with vanilla-y scents by the end of the month.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille. Similar to Chene, with a nice, warm vanilla thrown over it. Wasn't that crazy about it at first, but it grew on me. A real favorite now. Buy. It's great stuff.

Mona di Ori Vanille

La Maison de Vanille Absolu de Vanille

Vaniglia del Madagascar by Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561

Eau de Baux by L'Occitane

Another vote for Pi. I used hate that stuff growing up (father owned a bottle and it was the one fragrance I did not enjoy). I'm starting to like it more and more

Just to get off the beaten path a bit...

Dior - Hypnotic Poison Sensuelle - A light, powdery vanilla; unisex or too feminine for some
    Guerlain - Shalimar - A somewhat citrusy/vanilla combo that comes out musky; sometimes really nice, sometimes seems like a mess.
    YSL - Body Kouros
    Costes - No 1 - No vanilla notes listed, but this comes across to me as a really nice vanilla musk.
    Tokyo Milk - Let Them Eat Cake - sugar-frosted vanilla cake is pretty much dead on.
    BPAL - Dorian - vanilla musk, definitely masculine
    BPAL - Jareth - lilac fougere but comes out with a lot of leather and vanilla to me.
    M. Micallef - Gaiac - It takes a long time into the drydown, but it eventually turns vanilla.
    Odin New York - Century - woody vanilla gourmand, a bit of a darkhose vanilla scent that I really have grown to like.
    Brecourt - Mauvais Garcon - A smokey woody vanilla, personally really love this one, but doesn't always come out to play.

I agree with your feelings on Vanilla, I really enjoy it myself. TV and MR are also excellent and I would always recommend them if not already over-recommended.

I tried and liked Century...but like every other Odin I've tried, it was gone after a couple hours. Wearing MR right now.....and it's hard to type with one hand (as I have my nose buried in the wrist of my other one)
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Jo Malone Vanilla and Anise.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

During my 20+ years journey in the realm of frags the best scent I could enlist as to be vanilla-y to some extent is Boucheron Jaipur. I love and prefer the EdT version as I find the EdP a bit overwhelming - if I consider a scent for wearing. I've tried or owned most of the scents enlisted above, but no one comes close in my books. Some are too sirupy, some too bitter or weird - Jaipur is the shining golden middle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    I tried and liked Century...but like every other Odin I've tried, it was gone after a couple hours. Wearing MR right now.....and it's hard to type with one hand (as I have my nose buried in the wrist of my other one)
    Even so, Century is about with the best longevity from ODIN... too bad.

How about Coty - Raw Vanilla?

Central Florida. 44 years old, de-clawed teddy bear who is as comfortable in a tie-dye as an oxford

^^^ Great cheapie fragrance.

Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by AMAR_420 View Post
    Nikos
    Still another good one from the past.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Givenchy Pi
    Wear fragrance for yourself!

Like Dior Leather Oud? Wear it to the church, to job interview, to meet your future father in law! WEAR WHAT YOU LIKE!