Code of Conduct

Default Help starting collection

I've been trying to get into the fragrance game for a while now, but I haven't been able to put together a set of bottles. In the past I would just buy one bottle and use that; I'm trying to upgrade from that here. I want to keep this set to 10 bottles or less. For example, two bottles for each season and two daily wearer bottles that I can add into the rotation.

Here are some things that you should know:
    I'm 19, in college
    I'm a light skin Caribbean-american
    My body tends to get hot and I sweat a lot (to me) when I'm out and about (like when I'm walking around campus)

I really love Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford
    HM by Hanae Mori is decent
    I hate Chrome by Azzaro
    I'm not sure that I like Bleu De Chanel
    Polo Double Black seems decent
    I'm interested in Boss Bottled and Le Male

I'm looking for great quality at a great price (if that is possible), Grey Vetiver is the top of my budget per bottle.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Help starting collection

Perhaps Burberry London

Dependent

chanel allure eddition blanche
    dior homme
    rochas man
    le nuit
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Perhaps Burberry London
    For the winter? I'll make sure to go and test that.

More advice would be welcome. Thanks.

From what you've listed you and I seem to have similar tastes. I suggest you sample some frags, and then if you like them, join a split here of some niche frags. I suggest stuff like Aventus (good all seasons), some Tom Fords (take your pick, I like TV, TL), etc.

I agree that Burberry London is great, so maybe check that out. It's like $55 for 100mL's.

Welcome! I suggest that you be patient and smell your way around first before committing to buy. There are so many frags and styles, you may end up with stuff you don't like as much as other perfumes you smell later.

Body heat means that perfumes will evaporate faster, so you probably need more long lasting ones. Vetivers is a great idea. In addition to the Tom Ford, you can check other, less expensive vetivers like Lalique Encre Noire or Guerlain Vetiver. Or even Lush Breath of God, a little more avant garde. Vetivers smell fresh so they are especially welcome in the summer, though they can be used year round.

I think you could also check a traditional fougere, like Drakkar Noir and Azzaro pour homme, which are inexpensive and long lasting, as well as perhaps my favorite, Caron Troisieme homme. Fougeres are both herbal and a touch warm, so they are good year round.

For something warmer, you can check Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste), warm sandalwoody with some candied fruits, or resiny Aramis 900.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by calilove View Post
    chanel allure eddition blanche
    dior homme
    rochas man
    le nuit
    Thanks Calilove, Rochas Man and La Nuit were on my list to test. I'll have a look at the others, too.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    From what you've listed you and I seem to have similar tastes. I suggest you sample some frags, and then if you like them, join a split here of some niche frags. I suggest stuff like Aventus (good all seasons), some Tom Fords (take your pick, I like TV, TL), etc.

I agree that Burberry London is great, so maybe check that out. It's like $55 for 100mL's.
    I'm most likely going to go on a sample trip at my local stores. I was also interested in dabling in Creed, but only if I can get a good price. Tobacco Vanille was on my list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome! I suggest that you be patient and smell your way around first before committing to buy. There are so many frags and styles, you may end up with stuff you don't like as much as other perfumes you smell later.

Body heat means that perfumes will evaporate faster, so you probably need more long lasting ones. Vetivers is a great idea. In addition to the Tom Ford, you can check other, less expensive vetivers like Lalique Encre Noire or Guerlain Vetiver. Or even Lush Breath of God, a little more avant garde. Vetivers smell fresh so they are especially welcome in the summer, though they can be used year round.

I think you could also check a traditional fougere, like Drakkar Noir and Azzaro pour homme, which are inexpensive and long lasting, as well as perhaps my favorite, Caron Troisieme homme. Fougeres are both herbal and a touch warm, so they are good year round.

For something warmer, you can check Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste), warm sandalwoody with some candied fruits, or resiny Aramis 900.

cacio
    Thank you Cacio! I agree that I've got to take time and curate my collection. All of those suggestions seem great and I'll have a good time searching for samples to test.

I'd always recommend my 2 favorite Creed's - GIT & Aventus. I have higher body heat & sweat easily as well and both of these scents seem to bloom even more on me when I do, actually! Hard to go wrong with adding these to your collection.
    Yes, Boss Bottled would be another safe, but good addition. I'll + on Rochas Man for an inexpensive, but well-done gourmand, and Burberry London is a fantastic cold weather frag. I'm also a fan of Polo Double Black & enjoy it for colder weather. A lot of people still love LeMale, so go for it. I'd also recommend checking out Chanel Allure Homme Sport eau Extreme. Again, I have similar body-heat, sweat issues, and this one does great on me & last for-ev-er, with a very nice drydown IMO.

Good luck & Welcome!

YSL - L'Homme (based on your boss bottled suggestion)
    Dior Homme Sport 2012 formulation(somewhat based on your HM suggestion)
    Pure Malt (nice gourmand in general)
    La Nuit De L'Homme (based on the fact that I always recommend it for some reason)

Encre Noire is a MUST for ANY collection, and a fabulous value at that! (Fall/ Winter)

CK BE is underated IMO and a staple scent. (Fall/ winter)

I wear Molecule 01 EVERY DAY in addition to whatever else I may or may not wear...it's the BEST for school because it can only be smelled in passing, meaning it wont annoy or sicken any of your teachers or classmates if they are fragrance sensitive. Some may claim an inability to smell it, but no one claims to not like it!(ALL seasons)

Also Kenzo Air is a scent I cannot live without. (Summer scent)

Tam Dao & Philosykos are just amazing scents offered by Diptyque... Both are Big Time winners. (SUmmer/spring)

Instead of starting a new topic, I decided to do an update bump.

I've gone out and tested a few things, and this is what I'm looking to buy in the coming weeks:

Aventus
    Fahrenheit
    Burberry London
    Aspen (lol?)
    Encre Noire

I'm also looking to get in samples of Molecule 01, Black Afgano, Frapin 1270, and Pure Malt (which seems hard to come by).

I'm wondering If I've covered all the bases I need to (the most important would be something I can wear to class, lecture and lab, on a consistant basis). Also, would it be a better idea to go and check out the splits on some of the more expensive stuff?

Thanks.

What you have there seems very good. My only concern is the Encre Noir. I would definitely try that one before you buy it (unless you already have) I got it recently and it took awhile to get used to and even then I doubt if I will be reaching to wear it a lot except of special occasions. On top of everything else recommended I would add CK One Shock it's cheap and as long as your not too heavy on the trigger I think it will you you quite well. P;lus if you like Le Male I think Shock is a safe bet.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post
    What you have there seems very good. My only concern is the Encre Noir. I would definitely try that one before you buy it (unless you already have) I got it recently and it took awhile to get used to and even then I doubt if I will be reaching to wear it a lot except of special occasions. On top of everything else recommended I would add CK One Shock it's cheap and as long as your not too heavy on the trigger I think it will you you quite well. P;lus if you like Le Male I think Shock is a safe bet.
    Ok, thanks. I'll add Encre Noir to the sample/try list. I've already tried the other four fragrances and like them. I'll also look to try Shock at Macy's or something.

I'll probably take advantage of that fragrancenet 20% off today.
    Last edited by Caveman0304; 17th December 2012 at 07:03 PM.