Code of Conduct

Default Why is my cologne not lasting/projecting for more than an hour?

Hello guys and gals! I have a situation, and I'm hoping maybe someone could help me solve this problem. Anyway here it is:

For some reason cologne just doesn't last on my skin. Most of my colognes will only last 2 hours TOPS and some seem to go away within the first hour. Here is what i have:
    burberry brit/touch ~1 hour then close to skin
    ysl l'homme ~ 1 hour then close to skin
    pure malt. ~ right now: 1-4 hours (which is weird because I have a dress shirt that still has the smell on if from months ago. Fabric? Cologne lost potency?)

My skin type, i believe, would classify as normal to slightly dry with it being not being overly oily or flaky.

I have tried applying it to chest, hair, wrists and shirt - same deal

Now i am aware of of olfactory fatigue, but i don't think this is the case. I almost never get any acknowledgment of my cologne, good or bad.

I have always kept the colognes in an AC room and away from sunlight. Although they are right by my light which im not sure how the light from a lamp will affect them. I have had the cologne for about 2 years.

Has anyone been faced with this problem and overcame it?? I'm not sure if its my skin chemistry, skin temperature, diet. I heard about using Vaseline or baby oil. Has anyone tried this? By the way, I'm in FL in case the ambient temperature was a factor. Sorry its kinda long, wanted to give the most info.
    As you can imagine this is so damn frustrating. I love my cologne, but it don't love me!

Default Re: Why is my cologne not lasting/projecting for more than an hour?

hmmm with some scents i share your problem. i too struggle with pure malt which is a shame because the opening is lovely,
    1 try not to sniff the cologne as sooon as you have applied it , this will most likely knock out your nose.
    2 spray on clothes this definitely holds the fragrance if you go back to the shirt you wore the day b4 it will still be on it

or get some frags that really project like beasts
    joop,1milllion, ambre sultan,musc ravageur,new haarlem,dreamer ,allure

all of the above last n project well on me
    Current top 5

1 spiriteuse double vanille
    2 musc ravageur
    3 versace dreamer
    4 chanel allure
    5 new haarlem

I have the same problems with some scents too . With all honesty , it would be difficult to know if it's olfactory fatigue OR skin chemistry .

One thing you can try though, is to spray those scents on your wrists only ( no front of neck/pulses, no chest, stay far away from the nose area. Just one spray on each wrist. ) and then see if you could still catch strong whiffs of it after more than 4 hours.
    If you did catch those whiffs, then it's most likely olfactory fatigue from those scents. The solution would be to spray only on the back of your neck and on top of your hands/or wrists .

If that's not the case, then it's your skin's bad luck with those certain scents....
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

#1 lotion on chest/neck. Increases my avg longevity/ projection by probably 40%
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Your diet might also depend on, improve or even impair the fragrance's performance in your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Your diet might also depend on, improve or even impair the fragrance's performance in your skin.
    True.

there could many reasons for this but best way is to get a shower gel with the fragrance, it increases the longevity and projection. You might also wanna check where u get your bottles from, maybe the bottles may be out of date

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    #1 lotion on chest/neck. Increases my avg longevity/ projection by probably 40%
    What lotion do you use?
    Time to musk up.

Spray your fragrances as far from your nose as possible! If you want to be noticed spray on the back of your neck. Strong fragrances should also give you whiffs even if you spray them on chest and under shirt. You can also spray some on your wrists and sniff from time to time.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Pure Malt lasts only 1-4 hours on you? I call shenanigans sir.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

3 of your 4 colognes are known for shoddy longevity to begin with.

Invasion Barbare = Problem Solved

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Baby oil (mineral oil) is possibly bad for your skin as it creates a barrier that clogs your pores. I switched to Grapeseed Oil which is scentless and doesn't stay greasy either. It's also 100% natural. I tried lotion and broke out in a rash. I highly recommend grapeseed oil if your looking for a moisturizier to extend the life of your scent. eBay has it.

In terms of fragrances, you have to start trying out strong ones. Most stuff doesn't last on my skin either so I was forced to check out the sillage and longevity monsters. If you are open to old school scents, definitely give PS by Paul Sebastian a try (on the chest). Lasts a loooong time and is potent. I also happen to love the scent.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

That's a tough one, as others have said. My guess is that olfactory fatigue is a big part of the problem. These scents shouldn't be disappearing after one hour. Do you ask others if they can smell your fragrances on you? I know, that can be uncomfortable, but if they can smell it and you can't, I think we are looking at a classic case of nasal overload. Many people won't tell you if they can smell your fragrance. Sometimes you have to ask them. Avoid spraying anywhere near your neck/head/hair and see if that makes a difference. Lots of good advice in this thread. Good luck!

1. moisturizer
    2. two layers of the frag in 5-10 minutes
    3. diet
    4. compatibility between your skin and the frag itself (please note: Joop!, Giorgio for Men... will suit anyone, but most of the frags has to be compatible with your skin. E.g. Dior Homme Intense never lasted too long on me. On the other hand, there are frags that can't stay long on anyone - e.g. dozens of contemporary frags)

Has anyone tried proper barrier cream? I've always though to try this sometime, it stops chemicals being absorbed by the skin.

You'll need to do what I do - select fragnaces that have good longevity, and you won't have any problems.

Best place to spray for increased longevity is your hair - it evaporates at a much slower rate.

Example: The new Oud Luban Solid perfume mixed with beeswax from Aftelier Perfumes lasts 1-2 hours on my skin. Easily eight hours in my hair with sillage I can smell the entire day.

Rezzing this thread cuz i noticed people kept mentioning diet but nobody was specific about it. What should you be consuming?
    Time to musk up.

Since you have dry skin, and it will absorb your fragrance faster try some unscented lotion and spray on top of that.

Have not tried the others but L'homme has the same effect on me.
    Personally i wont spray on my wrist because i tend to keep sniffing them and cause my nose to burn out

Quote Originally Posted by Gekisen View Post
    Rezzing this thread cuz i noticed people kept mentioning diet but nobody was specific about it. What should you be consuming?
    I'm not sure what you should eat..but you should definitely drink water as it keeps your skin hydrated, which will increase fragrance longevity.

Also if you're having trouble with longevity I would suggest lotion...go maybe a dime sized amount in your hand, then spray maybe 2-4 sprays of your fragrance in your hand and rub it on your skin. Essentially you've now made yourself body lotion. Be sure to get an unscented lotion.

You can also rub your newly made body lotion on your neck and then spray your your cologne over the top of it.

Works like a charm.

Sorry guys for digging up an old post, but I am curious as to why Frostyicy suggested applying lotion onto the hand and then rubbing it on the skin, rather than applying moisturizer on skin and then spraying over the top? Seems like a waste to put it on the hands first? Am I missing something? Talk to me

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry guys for digging up an old post, but I am curious as to why Frostyicy suggested applying lotion onto the hand and then rubbing it on the skin, rather than applying moisturizer on skin and then spraying over the top? Seems like a waste to put it on the hands first? Am I missing something? Talk to me

Try going a few days without spraying on your fragrance.
    Do not apply it directly out of the shower ("Out of the shower? Wait an hour").
    Spray it and let it sit, don't sniff it right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Regrett View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I can assist....

So basically by putting the lotion in your hands and then spraying your fragrance into your hand the oils in the lotion soak up all of the juices from the fragrance. It creates a molecular bond. After you have the mixture rub it on your skin and it will create better longevity.

Notice how a body lotion lasts longer than an actual spray??? That is the reason why!

I really only use this with very low longevity fragrances such as D&G The One. I went from get about 4 hours, to gettin a good 8 hours by using the above strategy.

Usually I just apply lotion on my skin let it settle for about 30sec-1min and then spray lotion directly over top of it. This works for most fragrances.

I have suggestion for those who are having probs with Longjevity. I am one of those people who normally spray about 10 sprays and then after an hour cannot smell anything. It was people on here that made me realize that I was almost certainly becoming anosmic to the scent, because I was spraying so much and so close to my nose. For the past 2 days I have not sprayed my neck, instead I have done 2 sprays to my chest and one to the back of the neck (and a half spray on one wrist) I have also put some toilet roll up my nose whilst spraying and left in there for 10 mins afterwards. This has stopped me getting bombarded and I can honestly say I have been converted from one of those who theought a few sprays could never be enough. For the past 2 days I have been able to smell my Frag all day long, that never usually happens to me.

.....So thanks for the advice guys and I'd love to hear if anybody else has a try at my more extreme (Toilet roll up the bugle) method and what success they get.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    agree stay hydrated dont eat crap
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille