Code of Conduct

Default Regarding different spritizers (sample question)

I was curious, how do the sample spritzers on sample vials compare to regular bottles? As I test out fragrances (poor sinuses cause to to lack smell most of the time) I wonder if I can generally follow the same guidelines as regular bottles or if I need to spray more. For example, I have a sample of Aventus that I want to test out from Neiman Marcus. Reviews show this as a stealth projection monster so 3 sprays max but if I spray 2-3 and am putting out half the amount of a normal bottle spritzer, then I'm underapplying and might as well be wearing nothing at all (or even worse, if I assume its less and overspray it then I'm crazy cologne guy).

Any input would be appreciated.

Default Re: Regarding different spritizers (sample question)

There is no rule in general, sometimes vials spritz a touch less, but not always. It depends on the bottle, and I'm not familiar with the Aventus bottle. I didn't have the impression that Aventus was a projection monster, though. Besides, it is known to vary wildly across batches.

cacio

You're complicating it.

Most perfumes spray the same amount. Some a bit more, some a bit less, some wider and some narrower.
    But no variation of these sprayers will significantly alter your usual spray habit.

Keep in mind a single ml requires about 10 sprays.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Member

I get what your saying and yes there will be a difference between the amount of juice a sample will spray and a regular bottle. I'd say almost a two to one ratio especially if it's a creed sprayer. If your going to test a scent using a sample then I would give it a few more sprays to get an accurate comparison to what the bottle would spray like.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    You're complicating it.

Most perfumes spray the same amount. Some a bit more, some a bit less, some wider and some narrower.
    But no variation of these sprayers will significantly alter your usual spray habit.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree.
    +2
    Just follow the same procedure used on that specific fragrance.
    If it projects well with 2 sprays from a regular bottle, it will project well with 2 sprays from a sample vial.
    Most sample vials do tend to spray less (I don't think there are any mini's that will ever match the sprayer on Boss Bottled, for example).

Thanks for the input. Makes it easier as I experiment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by attuso20 View Post
    I get what your saying and yes there will be a difference between the amount of juice a sample will spray and a regular bottle. I'd say almost a two to one ratio especially if it's a creed sprayer. If your going to test a scent using a sample then I would give it a few more sprays to get an accurate comparison to what the bottle would spray like.
    I tend to agree with the above. And, in particular, Creed's atomizer is excellent, spraying a rather generous amount compared to other fragrances' atomizers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    You're complicating it.

Keep in mind a single ml requires about 10 sprays.
    I agree, the main difference I have seen in sample atomizers is that they tend to spray with a tighter pattern, but about 6-10 spritzes is one milliliter.