Code of Conduct

Default Recs for my boyfriend

I've been here for awhile, but I decided to post this in Just Starting Out as I'm brand new to men's fragrances and have sniffed very very few of them.

I would like to sample a few fragrances for my boyfriend, who is not very into fragrances but will wear them as a gift. (Same with clothes for him.)

I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START!

He is 29, attractive but does not really care about his appearance very much, and has no idea about fragrances.

Any ideas on what I could sample to get started? I like Terre d'Hermes and many other unisex scents by Hermes. Concentre D'Orange Verte is already taken by me, however. I prefer something clean and somewhat natural smelling, while not too cliche or overdone.

Any other suggestions? I'm lost!!!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Recs for my boyfriend

Clean and natural smelling: you could explore some vetivers, like Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, or Sycomore.

Traditional citruses for men include Eau Sauvage, Goutal eau d'Hadrien, de Nicolai New York, though post restrictions they all suffer somewhat in longevity.

Then there are more classical masculine, but still relatively clean and fresh, like Caron pour un homme (lavender vanilla) or Troisieme Homme (citrus, barbershop musk).

cacio

I hate to be "that guy," but since you want something fresh and natural, I'll suggest Green Irish Tweed by Creed/Cool Water by Davidoff/Chez Bond by Bond no.9. They all smell relatively similar (though I hear the Bond is more soapy).

If you want to go a different route, you could check out Himalaya by Creed/PR's XS (they apparently smell similar, but I can only speak to Himalaya). To me it kind of smells like a grown up and more high quality version of some Axe body sprays (note that the Axe's are terrible by comparison).

I'd also agree with Grey Vetiver, which is a little on the expensive side since you can't really find splits. Though, I've never personally smelled it, the notes sound great and it is highly praised by people around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Prada Amber pour homme

Burberry London

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel - smells "clean" and natural (oakmoss).

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Burberry London
    How is BL clean and natural smelling? I own it and love it, but I definitely would not classify it as either of those things with all of the tobacco, port wine, and spices.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I own both Grey Flannel and Grey Vetiver and I can attest they smell wonderfully "clean", and they both have reasonable longevity (I'd say 8+ hours). What they don't really have, in my opinion, is a lot of projection. But then again, he's your boyfriend, not a stranger on a train, so I suppose you won't mind having to stay close...
    As a gift, though, I'd go with Grey Vetiver, simply because GF is not expensive enough =)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    How is BL clean and natural smelling? I own it and love it, but I definitely would not classify it as either of those things with all of the tobacco, port wine, and spices.
    I actually find it to have a "clean" vibe to it. If you smell it up close & personal right on your skin, it's more complex and spicier/boozier, but if you just take in it's scent from it's (albeit limited) projection, I definitely think it comes off as clean & classy. Much more so than many other cold-weather frags, actually.

I can't agree with the Caron Pour un Homme recommendation, however. Be sure to sample this one first. It was the furthest thing from either clean, or natural, on my skin.

I do agree with the GIT rec, though. Smells clean, natural & is a much more appealing scent for someone not into frags that something more complex and darker. Also the other recs for some of the vetivers are worth looking into as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Cartier Declaration Cologne
    Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee (especially if you like TdH)

Thanks so much, guys! These are great suggestions.

I can't wait to try some of these.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

anything chanel is safe
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

You can try YSL - L'Homme, Ed Hardy Love and Luck, Boss Bottled. There are tons, but those 3 seem to be universally liked, or at least safe.

Perhaps Penhaligon's Sartorial... Maybe it would inspire him to wear more shirts with a collar too

Post Thanks / Like

Lolita Lempicka Leau Au Masculin

Mugler Cologne or Gendarme are great starter fragrances. It's hard to find someone who hates either and they aren't too assertive for someone who never wears fragrance.

I also second "Grey Flannel". That baby is a classic. You can usually find it at any Marshall's or Ross for $12 bucks, but it smells much more expensive. In fact, Grey Flannel is cheap enough that you can buy it as a "throw away" second gift, leaving you enough left over to get him something other than fragrance that you know he will use and like.

And that of course would make you the best girlfriend ever.

Quote Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
    Perhaps Penhaligon's Sartorial... Maybe it would inspire him to wear more shirts with a collar too

Thanks again! You all have lots of good ideas, and I look forward to checking them out. I really appreciate all the replies. I know this was a tough question. You guys are the best!