Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default New here I may need some suggestions for winter/fall fragrance?

Hey I'm new to this forum, and cologne for that matter. I currently own a bottle of Givenchy Play because it's the only one I really like that I have smelled recently. With that being said I would like to buy a few more bottles of other fragrances, although I'm not sure where to start obviously.

I prefer a sweet cologne such as Play, But what I like about play is the freshness about it,and especially the dry down. I am just learning all the ingredients in cologne to make it smell how it does,and I apologize for not being well educated on the subject. I don't like overly sweet. I hate play intense, I didnt think there would be that much of a difference, but I wouldn't wear intense personally.

Since it's coming onto fall/winter does anyone have any suggestions for a sweet smelling cologne? I would like one for everyday use, but if you have suggestions also for nights out to dinner or around town etc, i'll take anything i can get because like I said i'm looking to buy multiple bottles.

Thanks ahead of time! it's greatly appreciated.

Default Re: New here I may need some suggestions for winter/fall fragrance?

Welcome!

You could try smelling Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste, not the platinum version), which is warm sandalwoody with a touch of candied fruit, so it has a bit of sweetness, but not too much. Very elegant and good also for evenings. It is not particularly fresh though.

For something fresher, I like Caron Troisieme homme, citrus, a touch of sweetness, barbershop musk drydown.

cacio

Burberry London

LIDGE is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Burberry London
    +1 & I'll add: Gucci Pour Homme II, Rochas Man. RM may be a bit sweet, but it's worth checking out. The Burberry & Gucci though, I both find a little sweet, but fresh & masculine at the same time.

Basenotes Member

Thanks for all the help I will try them all, maybe I'm confusing the fresh with something else? I don't know if fresh goes well in fall or winter anyway correct? I just don't want to be smelling too much sweet.

Burberry London is good, for something spicy and warm try Terre d'Hermes or Guerlain Habit Rouge...
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Creed Baie de Genievre
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere
    Parfum d'Empire Aziyade
    MFK Lumiere Noire
    Etat Libre d'Orange Noel au Balcon
    Etat Libre d'Orange Delicious Closet Queen
    Guerlain Habit Rouge

There ain't no devil - that's just god when he's drunk

Dependent

new haarlem for sure
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

London is going to be the most suggested. Try it prior to buying it.
    The majority of the Thierry Mugler line (especially A*Men and Pure Malt)
    Dolce and Gabbana The One (on dates, in warm buildings...)
    YSL - La Nuit De L'homme

The change of seasons opens new possibilities, toward frags that exude warmth and coziness... Maybe a scent featuring tobacco or amber. Maybe Sonoma Scent's Tabac Aurea, Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille... Or for amber Montale Blue Amber... Also a heads up for starting your collection... Peruse the splits board on this forum, so you can build a wardrobe of high-quality frags at roughly half the cost...

Basenotes Member

I second the Tobacco Vanille for fall, though it doesn't have the citrusy freshness, it does have spice and smooth pipe tobacco to balance out the sweet and warm vanilla.

Second AMen, Lolita Lempika Masculine, Jaipur, Pi, and possibly my favourite... http://www.basenotes.net/ID26132222.html

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Burberry London
    Another vote for London

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Dolce and Gabbana The One (on dates, in warm buildings...)
    YSL - La Nuit De L'homme
    +1 on both of these as well.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    I'm not obsessed, I'm passionately intrigued. The difference is how much money I have available to spend!

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
    Also a heads up for starting your collection... Peruse the splits board on this forum, so you can build a wardrobe of high-quality frags at roughly half the cost...
    I'm not sure what this is exactly?

Thanks for all the replies I will try and sample them all. Any more suggestions are welcome. Does this forum have a classifieds section such as used sales for frags at all?

Personally the only thing I actually like about winter is the fragrances. Warm, spicy, intriguing, and other things. I know you said you like something with the freshness, I think you should try to explore into the richer and darker side of winter fragrances.

You might find something new you like. Freshness is good but isn't needed for a Fall or Winter frag. London, Tobacco Vanille, L'instant PH, are all good winter frags.
    Expect the unexpected.

+1 LIDGE & Burberry London.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsm1gb View Post
    I'm not sure what this is exactly?

Thanks for all the replies I will try and sample them all. Any more suggestions are welcome. Does this forum have a classifieds section such as used sales for frags at all?
    That's what the person above was mentioning. There's a "marketplace" that has used frags for sale and has "splits" where someone buys a large quantity of a fragrance and splits it up into generic bottles. You get the good juice but not the name brand bottle for a much better price. For instance, you can get TF Tobacco Vanille for almost half price via split.

Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes!

For something fresh and sweet... you might want to try Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme by Chanel. Not sure how it's going to perform in winter, but it is strong and does project in summer and in early fall when I tried it.

For frags that will definitely shine in the colder season, my vote goes to the regular Egoiste by Chanel, Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford, L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme by Guerlain, and Eau des Baux by L'Occitane. They are not really "fresh", but they do stand out during this time of the year.

Good luck!

If you're just getting started at discovering fragrances, you should start by heading to Sephora, Macys or Nordstrom with paper and pen. Seriously! Pick between 5 and 10. Smell one. Write it down and jot down any thoughts, even if what you write down makes no sense. Just jot down whatever you're thinking. Leave wearing a spray of your favorite scent on the back of your hand. Or your wrist. I find the back of the hand works better.

When you get home, look up the frags you tried on Fragrantica.com. Compare what you wrote down with what you're reading about the frags online. After a while, you'll start noticing patterns among the notes listed, some of which will surprise you (in a good way). As you learn that stuff, you'll start figuring out which other scents you'll want to try. Think of it like cooking. Learning ingredients makes it easier to know what you may like or dislike.

A FEW RECOMMENDATIONS

- Play Intense. Seems obvious since you like Play. You may like this too, especially for winter.
    - John Vrvatos Vintage. Do you like peppery? Try it and see.
    - Hanae Mori H.M. ...do you like sweet? Let's find out. In my experience, women like this on a guy.
    - Bvlgari Black. SO GOOD in the cooler weather.
    - Gucci Pour Homme II. This is GREAT to wear on a date. It's sophisticated without being stodgy at all. If you try this in a store, definitely wear it when you leave so you can give it a proper try. It's really excellent.

Also: here's an excellent resource to check out: Katie Puckrik's Fume Finder.

Good luck!
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Blog Entries

...I hate play intense, I didnt think there would be that much of a difference, but I wouldn't wear intense personally....
    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    A FEW RECOMMENDATIONS

- Play Intense. Seems obvious since you like Play. You may like this too, especially for winter.
    @L'HBI, you missed it in the OP. ^ ^ ^ ^

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    @L'HBI, you missed it in the OP. ^ ^ ^ ^
    D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [...note to self: don't post before the first cup of coffee kicks in...]
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Basenotes Member

Thank you all!!! You all have been of great help to me, the problem is fragrance samples around here are kind of scarce so I'll just have to order them. Anyone know a legit place? How common is it for a place to sell fake samples?

Thierry Mugler A*Men for those freezing winter days.
    Burberry London for those cold windy fall days.
    Yves Saint Laurent L'homme as a nice casual/formal wear.

& I've never heard of anyone fake samples so if it does happen it'd be pretty rare. I'd say your good to go with ordering samples off of Ebay to try new things out.
    Hey BN'ers come check out my blog/channel for reviews/unboxings/first impressions! Feel free to subscribe and, thanks much. TheScentNose.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheScentNose?feature=mhee

I'm not sure if the privacy policy allows us to post websites or not, but fragrancenet.com or fragrancex are both very good.

The best way to find something you'll definitely like is to go a local mall/shopping area and test a bunch of frags. If you don't know what you like, ask the sales person for some suggestions; ask what's popular. Once you've smelled a bunch of things and got some ideas, ask for samples of the ones you liked best. If/when you feel confidant about something, buy it.

Eau des Baux
    Pure Havane
    Pure Malt
    A*Men
    Michael Jordan Legend/Rochas Man
    Boss Bottled/Burberry London
    Dior Homme Intense
    La Nuit de L'Homme

Banned

Zirh Ikon by Zirh - One is initially treated to a zesty lemonade. Tart and tangy lemon interplays with davona flower, with its sweetly fruity aspect, and cardamon, with its mildly spicy, anise-tinged facets. Ginger sprinkles the melange with its peppery, lemony and green character. Transitioning to the heart, the citric brew succumbs to the darker aspects of the scent. Labdanum infuses its resinous, myrhh-like and slightly leather-like facets, commingling with a raw, spicy cinnamon as well as clove buds, with their charred-wood and smokey aroma. An undercurrent of a citrusy, pine-like frankincense and earthy, green vetiver adds to the mystical aura, and flows to the base. Here, a rich amber alters the accommodating frankincense, which has come into its own, to a darker character. And, an almost creamy cedarwood intermingles with a balsamic patchouli, which imparts its earthiness coupled with camphoraceous and mossy nuances. An inviting drydown ensues. This manly composition is well blended, and challenges the domain of niche. A fall and winter scent, this spicy and dark fragrance has good projection, a 2-3 hour, scent cloud, and longevity, about 8 hours. Given its inexpensive price, it is a welcomed addition to one's fragrance wardrobe.

&

L'Anarchiste by Caron
    - Upon application, one is treated to an impressive, citric accord. Mandarin, with its sweet, orange-like facet commingles with orange blossom, with its lovely floral and creamy sweetness, as well as a camphoraceous, indolic, orangey neroli. This citrus melange interplays with a metallic, mineral concoction of musty iron and acrid, fireworks-like, burnt gunpowder. This somewhat odd opening drifts to the heart. Here, wonderfully warm spices, to wit, cinnamon, with its spicy semi-sweetness, nutmeg, with its subtle, cinnamon-like spiciness, cardamon with its aromatic spicy, nutty and anise character, as well as clove, with its earthy spiciness, intermingle with menthol from cedar leaves. This enticing minty coolness interplays nicely with the warm spices, and encases the intriguing opening. A woody undercurrent of dry, cedar shavings and creamy sandalwood carry the exotic melange to the mollifying base. Here, a somewhat powdery, white musk, with its laundered-linen illusion, teams up with the green, yet clean, earthiness of vetiver to foster a sedate drydown. This well-blended and interestingly distinctive composition has average projection and longevity.

&

Visit for Men by Azzaro - One is initially treated to a wave of spice. An abundant nutmeg, with its soft and sweet, cinnamon-like character, couples with cardamon, with its slightly woody and anise-like facets, pink pepper, with its fruity and tart highlights, as well as ginger, with its peppery, lightly sweet, and faint lemony aspects. A menthol-like undercurrent from cedar leaves carries the stirring brew to the heart. Here, the Atlas cedar comes into its own, imparting its richly balsamic and camphoraceous accord, and vies with a lively incense, with its resinous, myrrh-like smokiness, for dominance. Guiacwood infuses its tea-rose woodiness, while a muted nutmeg is relegated to the background. Transitioning to the base, a skin-like musk intermingles with a ambergris, with its fleshy, slightly leathery and sweet woodiness. The bustling incense flitters about in the background. A pleasant drydown ensues. This masculine and well-done composition has very good projection, a 2-foot scent cloud, and very good longevity, about 10 hours; resultantly, spray sparingly. This appealing fragrance can be had rather inexpensively.

&

I'm gonna say Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (wearing it right now), Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille, Bond No. 9 New Haarlem, Serge Lutens Chergui, Hermes Ambre Narguille and Hugo Boss Bottled.

Also +1 on YSL La Nuit de L'Homme, Burberry London and I've heard good things about Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme.

Basenotes Member

Thanks I ordered samples of almost everything you guys suggested on the page. Although when I typed lidge, nothing came up unless you were referring to something else with a longer terminology.

Dcampbell

Thanks I ordered samples of almost everything you guys suggested on the page. Although when I typed lidge, nothing came up unless you were referring to something else with a longer terminology.
    L'Insant De Guerlain Extreme

Basenotes Junkie

I love New Haarlem so I gotta recommend it, but I also have a rarely mentioned frag Rochas Desir Pour Homme...it's the right amount of sweetness with some great Cedar. It's got a chocolate note in it that blends very well with the whole composition. It's discontinued but you can find it online for a great inexpensive price.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dcampbell View Post
    L'Insant De Guerlain Extreme
    Thanks!

My current Fall/Winter frag is Dolce & Gabanna The One. It's got a sweet, warm, yet sexy vibe that works well in the office and on the town.

You may also want to consider:
    Knize Ten
    Opium EDP
    M7 Original
    L'Egoiste
    Kyoto.

Blog Entries

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille is a good winter fragrance...Mona di Orio Vetyver is a good fall fragrance.

- Burberry London
    - Spicebomb
    - La Nuit de L'homme
    - Angel Men
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

I'm not sure if you are going to like A Men and all of the other sweet gourmands if you didnt like intense. Don't really understand why you dont like Play Intense if you like Play, definitely catch similar notes in them.

My suggestions
    Play Intense- love it
    Rochas Man- love it
    A*Men- havent had a full wear, but from samples on the wrist, I enjoyed Play Intense better (side by side comparison)
    YSL La Nuit- love this one as well
    YSL l'homme

I've heard good things about Jordan Legend, its cheap. So it may be one to try out, I'm going to soon.

Wore spicebomb the other day, it is nice, but for some reason it felt too soft.
    LIDGE- so far prefer others, but I probably should try it a few more times.

Look at Ebay, you can find 5ml decants of AMen and flankers, LIDGE, and Tom Ford TV. These last a while especially if you switch it up a lot. I got a spicebomb sample at Sephora the other day. You can also get a sample of Play Intense at sephora, and maybe give it a few more wears if you dont already own one. Rochas Man is cheap, you should be able to find a bottle for $25 or so.
    Last edited by goody2141; 20th October 2012 at 02:30 AM.

Such great suggestions. Have to say M7 (I did a 180 on this when I revisited in the cool weather) , pure Havane, Gucci I, and of course LIDGE. BDP and Taberome Millesime may fit nicely and Fahrenheit is great in cold weather.

Basenotes Member

I just got about 8 samples of some of the suggestions, I'm going to keep ordering more, it's also fun to try out different frags.I'll post back to which ones I like and dont like if that can help with suggestions. Thanks again.
    Last edited by dsm1gb; 21st October 2012 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Typo

Basenotes Member

Ok so I've tried out a few full wears, and so far the top pick is YSL La Nuit, I ordered a bottle, all the reviews seem to state that this is a night out/clubbing scent, but I kind of feel this could be worn to work, or am I wrong? It doesn't project particularly well on my skin, but I find the smell to be very pleasing. So basically is this an ok scent to wear to work if applied lightly? Thanks for everyone's help!

I wear it whenever. I love it, but I apply appropriate to the situation. Lighter at work, heavier after