Code of Conduct

Question Scent suggestions, please

First- I'm somewhat new to the olefactory description racket but have been lurking about in search of the right "sounding" scent before trying anything. I specify "sounding" because ingredients can vary widely on different skin as you all well know.
    So- I'm looking for a scent to match my olefactory interests as well as my personality and occupation.
    I'm 37 with two Masters degrees and work as an archivist. This means getting to work around old books (excellent) and mostly by myself- which I consider a bonus. Intermediate level French speaker, plays guitar, exercises regularly... I'm hoping this personal description might offer further insight into helping match a scent to my personality. Oh- and with a penchant for boots, bow ties and classic hair cuts. Basically, rough boots on bottom (literally) and refined on top.
    I'm looking for something (this being in preference order);
    -Earthy (patchouli-based, not hippie-style/headshop smelling)
    -Smooth
    -Dusty (something on the order of dry leaves/old books/old dry leather)
    -Dark Green (not bright or fern- maybe heavy oakmoss?)
    -Mysterious (I prefer to be under the radar and this scent is for me- not someone else)
    This is just an additional "want" but being an archivist I would prefer something of historical significance, meaning a scent that has been around for some time, 50+ years preferably from an old perfumery such as Santa Maria Novella whose scents certainly do read as quite intriguing.
    To clarify, this scent should NOT be; sweet, powdery, or have any bright citrus accords- and certainly not anything wet or rotting like wet vetiver. Something very dry, the equivalent of digging in the desert sand in the evening and the wind blows the fall scent of dry leaves and fading greens down from a nearby mountainside. I'm thinking Eucris + Desert Air Du Marocain? I have only read of these fragrances however and that is how I picture them both combined (minus any sweet/citrus notes in Marocain).
    I do appreciate- in advance, any suggestions.

Default Re: Scent suggestions, please

Perhaps Noble Cedar by Chopard

I *really* think you should explore the Histoires de Parfums range... it sounds *perfect* for you! Both in concept, quality and scent! (http://www.histoiresdeparfums.com)

I think Marquis du Sade would be ideal given your preferences, with Casanova being a nice lighter scent for warmer weather!

Let me know what you think!

Taz.

Eucris is definitely deep mossy-green, but on me it turns really too rotten-leathery (so does the green Eau de Gloire); but it could work on you. L'air du desert satisfies all your requirements, it really gives the impression of desert dryness. It has no green-ness, however. No combination, though, they would simply ruin each other. I also second 1740 by Histoires de Parfums - all the requirements satisfied, except greenness.

It's not exactly what you describe, but there are a couple of old perfumes that may hit the right spot. One is Bandit, green leather: green, leaves and flowers over a superbutch leather. Very s&m, sort of like a pic of Helmut Newton. Another is Yatagan: it opens with a vegetal blast, then becomes deep, dark woody.

cacio

You may enjoy Sartorial.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26131749.html
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I suggest Vie de Chateau by Parfums de Nicolai, and Balafre by Lancome.

Dependent

Diptyque Eau Trois
    Boss Sport
    Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac
    Jaguar II

Aveda Pure-Formance
    VC&A Tsar
    Azzaro Visit
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 11th October 2012 at 09:11 PM.

Although not 50+ years old (1974 released), this..

Quote Originally Posted by Book Detective View Post
    I'm thinking Eucris + Desert Air Du Marocain?
    Perfect choices! I'll also second Yatagan (possibly the vintage which was remarkably more patch prominent).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Cool Re: Scent suggestions, please

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Perfect choices! I'll also second Yatagan (possibly the vintage which was remarkably more patch prominent).
    Thanks so much everyone.
    Alfarom; you're a leading tester whom I've relied on for numerous reviews. Many thanks.
    I'm currently still digging around too and without the helpful insight from everyone here, I'd be searching things in such a painfully pragmatic manner it'd be almost embarassing, something like; "Let's see... um, Old Spice, no...no...no... "hmmm, Brut? no... no... no..." Yes- collectively shake heads in solemn remorse at such a sad prospect.
    Due to all the great olefactory experiences here, it's like bursting away at 200 mph from a linear earth toward a sky of swirling colors where one thing leads to another. Like the first Russian short story I read by Tolstoy, where whatever existed prior to knowing it now seems somehow synthetic without it and you just want to know more.
    Sorry for the rant but I'm really liking the idea of "finding myself in a scent" and eventually then locating something that reminds of a story, ideally a character from a great book. That would be fantastic too but that's stage two for me after finding a true signature scent, something that reminds me of my favorite character from a Russian or French novel... Speaking of which- just for fun I also highly recommend the film Onegin (1999). It's probably the only movie whose script (albeit limited to a Hollywood movie running time) best portrays the essence of a famous (Russian) novel, really a work of art. I never thought hollywood could do but it's quite beautiful. I can smell the Santa Maria Novella Colonia Russa based on the reviews I've read.
    At any rate- I just received Villoresi samples today; vetiver and patchouli. The vetiver is too sweaty and animalic on my skin and without any real "projection" as the term may be. It's "longevity" is quite short on me which according to all reviews would be strange. I have a decent idea of my body chemistry in that almost all scents I've tried just sink into my skin which is fine because I prefer to fly under the radar.
    Last edited by Book Detective; 12th October 2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: edit

It's not old enough, but Rive Gauche oh would be perfect

I think what you need to do is get comfortable with seeking out all the retailers of fragrance near you... ALL of them, regardless if it is a super high end store... Arm yourself with lists of prospective frags and sniff your way through their collections... Keep notes... Soon you will get a sense of what you like and don't like... In time, you will push beyond those initial preferences, opening up your tastes... Thats where you can really delve into new territory. It's a journey, but one that is aided by the sort of exacting administrative skills needed in your profession...

Two suggestions come to mind:

Gucci Pour Homme (2003 - amber juice in blocky glass bottle) Wonderful designer scent that has been discontinued. You can still find samples and bottles online however.

Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur

Smile Re: Scent suggestions, please

Quote Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
    I think what you need to do is get comfortable with seeking out all the retailers of fragrance near you... ALL of them, regardless if it is a super high end store... Arm yourself with lists of prospective frags and sniff your way through their collections... Keep notes... Soon you will get a sense of what you like and don't like... In time, you will push beyond those initial preferences, opening up your tastes... Thats where you can really delve into new territory. It's a journey, but one that is aided by the sort of exacting administrative skills needed in your profession...
    That was my original intention. Having relocated as a federal archivist, the area in which I now live is... is... minimalistic. The nearest decent dept. stores are over an hour away- unless it's Sears, JC Penney, et al.
    So for now- I'm researching and ordering samples.
    This makes for interesting research as well since scent provokes images and colors for me I can see how it's easy to get hooked. Sorry for any innaxccurate spellings in my posts as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I suggest Vie de Chateau by Parfums de Nicolai, and Balafre by Lancome.
    Wow, fantastic suggestions.
    Balafre sounds so incredible given the namesake's history combined with the scent, it would be perfect without the price tag.
    However, after sampling a variety of other frangrances first- I may just blind buy Balafre and reserve it for the fall/winter.
    Thanks again so much.