Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances for Tropical Climate that is NOT an AQUATIC?

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking around BN for quite some time now and have been reading a lot about perfumes. I think it was last year when I started getting into perfumes and some of those I bought have been from the reviews and recommendations I got here.

The thing is, I live in a tropical country, where it is hot most of the time. We only have two seasons, rainy and sunny season. But sometimes even when it rains, it can still get quite humid. The only time it gets chilly is when it really rains during monsoon and tropical storms. So most of the time it is hot. That is why the ideal and popular fragrances here are the fresh, clean, aquatic kind of scents such as CW, AdG, Issey etc. Though I really like those kind of scents and have no problems with them, I was wondering if there was another type of scent aside from aquatics I could wear without being too cloying or offensive in hot weather? I already have a long to-buy list of perfumes that are mostly aquatics. So I'm looking for what to buy aside from aquatics that I can wear in this kind of climate.

STUFF I HAVE TRIED/TESTED:

Dior Fahrenheit, and though I love the smell, its sophistication and maturity, I'm not sure if I can wear it often.
    Le Male
    is just too loud and sweet.
    A*Men I did not like also.
    Bvlgari PH Extreme I liked at first but became cloying from frequent use.
    Azzaro PH is 'old', maybe 10 years from now I will be appreciate it more, but right now, no.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be very much appreciated.

I'm 22 by the way, so I may not appreciate the more "mature" fragrances.

And please no niche fragrances if possible. Please take note that the perfumes here at the malls are quite limited for me to test. Heck, I can't find Chanel, Dior, and YSL fragrances in major department stores here.

When I was last in Jamaica I used Paul Smith Story, Terre d'Hermes, and Versace Baby Blue Jeans. All were good, but Story was by far the superior scent for the climate in my opinion.

Default Re: Fragrances for Tropical Climate that is NOT an AQUATIC?

Welcome!

A material that performs really well here in the Southern US, which can be quite hot, though perhaps not as hot as the Philippines, is vetiver. It smells fresh, slightly grassy and vegetal, and tends to last a long time. Guerlain Vetiver is rather common and shouldn't be difficult to find. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is an alternative, a little more expensive. Very expensive, and difficult to find, is Chanel Sycomore.

cacio

Tommy Bahama Vintage Paradise is a perfect hot weather men's fragrance. It consists of Coffee, Tobacco Flower and Citrus. It is a light but great smelling EDT.

Basenotes Member

If you can find it, F. Malle's Geranium pour Monsieur might be a perfect fit - I find it incredibly fresh and clean (in the pretty hot and humid Milan, Italy summer) without being aquatic/citrusy. Failing that, I definitely second cacio's advice: Guerlain's or Tom Ford Vetiver should fit the bill.

Sounds like you need some citrusy colognes in your collection. They are particularly good in warm/humid weather. Acquatics have their place, but you certainly wouldn't want to be limited to them.

Use the search on here for "favorite citrus colognes" and you should get more possibilities than you could ever want.

Yachting by Pascal Morabito

Platinum Egoiste, Creed Aventus, Mugler Cologne...

Cartier Declaration Cologne

Creeds Original Vetiver
    Live Jazz
    Xerjoff 1861

Thank you for all the suggestions! Although most of them are not available in my area for me to test, I guess I will have to blind buy them.

I did not know vetiver would also fit in hot climate. My only concern is that I read here that vetiver is mostly for 30+ and above so I'm not sure if I will like it. I should definitely try this out.

As for citrus scents, I think I read somewhere here that they are fairly weak and don't last long in hot weather?

I also came across these scents while browsing BN:

L'INSTANT DE GUERLAIN POUR HOMME
    L'ESSENCE DE CERUTTI
    Giorgio Beverly Hills
    Jaipure Homme

Are they good for tropical climate?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I spent two weeks last month, at the Dominican Republic-Carribean. I sprayed Aventus every day. I held up very well in the strong heath and every one loved it. I got many compliemnts.

Quote Originally Posted by jernie19 View Post
    Thank you for all the suggestions! Although most of them are not available in my area for me to test, I guess I will have to blind buy them.

I did not know vetiver would also fit in hot climate. My only concern is that I read here that vetiver is mostly for 30+ and above so I'm not sure if I will like it. I should definitely try this out.

As for citrus scents, I think I read somewhere here that they are fairly weak and don't last long in hot weather?

I also came across these scents while browsing BN:

L'INSTANT DE GUERLAIN POUR HOMME
    L'ESSENCE DE CERUTTI
    Giorgio Beverly Hills
    Jaipure Homme

Are they good for tropical climate?

I think a lot depends upon how much you apply... beyond that it is subjective.

I think - don't worry too much about the age thing..

Some fragrances that I have found to work well in the tropics include:
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    Creed Aventus
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule

I spend a fair bit of time in Thailand, and I'm just back from several weeks there.

This time I mostly used Creed Original Vetiver, L'Instant de Guerlain, Bleu de Chanel, and an occasional spray of Burberry Weekend.
    Alan

+++ on Aventus, Terre d'Hermes, Creed Original Vetiver, & Platinum Egoiste.

Dependent

edition blanche
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

It can get very hot here in summer and I'm no stranger to tropical climates. I agree with the advice about Vetiver, but would caution you to research the scent first as darker vetivers may not work in tropical heat.

Quite a few fragrances labeled fresh and spicey can work in the heat. As do citrus fragrances. As per your concerns about the longevity of citruses; it's no worse than that of aquatics. Some last, some don't. Lalique White is a nice one that seems to last a good long time. Eau de Lalique may be worth looking into as well along with Eau de Cartier and Eau de Cartier Concentree, while Eau de Caron and its flankers are also quite interesting.

Others I gravitate toward in hot climes are Lanvin L'Homme and Vetiver (the reformulation, now discontinued but still widely available, is not really a Vetiver fragrance per se) Chopard Pour Homme, Yuzu Man by Caron, Givenchy's Into the Blue, Eau de Sud, Eau de Hadrian and Duel by Annick Goutal, Sandflowers by Montale, and Citrico or Vetiveru from CDG's Cologne series. The last few there are niche and may be difficult to find.

I recently purchased Joop! Splash. It seems as much or more citrus as aquatic, and so far it seems decent on the hottest days.

Chloe's Eau de Fleurs Capucine seems to be on the expensive side of designer fragrances and it's marketed at women, but definately unisex. It's a great fresh green scent. High quality. May be difficult to find though.

Eau de Guerlain is reputed to be the king of citrus fragrances, and it is certainly an excellent unisex offering, but again it can be tough to find and expensive. Well worth it though.

Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria series is another one marketed at women, but Lemon Fresca, Herba Fresca and Pamplelune are all very much unisex and good in the warmer months. Pamplelune may be a problem though with its vanilla drydown, but the others work in the hottest weather.

Bassically I'd say look for scents that are fresh and herbacious or green, or fresh and spicey, or citrus-based, some lighter woods work in hot weather too, as do fresh vetivers so some earthy scents can be good as well, but you should try to sample or test them first.

Lastly, a fragrance confession, lately I've been enjoying the women's Cool Water. It's a fairly simple citrus fragrance. Quite pleasant and, imho, unisex. Longevity is limited, but given the price I don't mind carrying an atomizer to freshen up.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions!

I finally found a store that has a wide selection of perfume brands. However, when I found it, I could not remember all the perfumes suggested here. I did remember Guerlain Vetiver, but they had no tester available so I was not able sample it. =\ I also finally got to try Terre d'Hermes after reading so many recommendations from others, but sad to say I did not like it and its definitely not something to wear in very hot conditions.

Next time I go to the store, I'll be sure to bring a list of to-try perfumes from this thread. If you guys have any more suggestions, please keep it coming! Thanks.

Banned

Try:

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - This is a considerably toned down version of the original, masterpiece Fahrenheit. No negative connotation is implied or should be taken; rather, this is a distinctive composition, somewhat bright and fresh, with ties to the original.
    Initially, one is treated to a blast of sparkling grapefruit, with its sour greenness, tempered by a hint of sweetness from the mandarin. This invigorating, citrus melange is drawn to the heart by a nascent mint. Here, in the heart, the cool spearmint comes into its own with its sweet, green facets, and commingles with violet leaf, with its intense freshness and a hint of cucumber. Basil infuses the refreshing blend with a lively dusting of its lemon-like, savory herb. A very faint undercurrent of petro/gasoline can be sensed. Transitioning to the base, a rather ordinary, woods accord presents, and interplays with a light, almost airy, Haitian vetiver as well as a subtle leather. A placid drydown ensues. This high-quality composition is bright and fresh, and should prove to be very versatile. Having average projection and longevity, this scent will, indeed, shine in the spring, summer and fall.

&

Story by Paul Smith - One is initially treated to a blast of a lemony and slightly peppery, citric accord. The herbal and faintly woody aspects of ivy leaf intrude upon and commingle with this sparkling citrus, providing a crisp, leafy opening, which saunters to the awaiting middle. Here, in the heart, a floral potion from the sweet jasmine and cardboard-like mustiness of rose leaf tempers the jarring opening, and transitions to the welcoming base. An altering melange of grass-like and clean vetiver, white musk, with its laundered-linen illusion, as well as a rugged, mineral amber coalesce. With an errant metallic and faintly minty something fluttering about, the dry woodiness of cedar squires the cleanly mix to a refreshing drydown. This light and fresh composition has good projection and longevity, and will bloom in the spring, summer and fall. A very nice fragrance which can be had rather inexpensively.

&

Dune by Dior, the secret code in its name!

*sigh* most of the recommendations are hard to find here. They don't have Guerlain Vetiver tester so the saleslady gave me a sample shower gel. Although the smell is okay, has that earthly and green feel to it. But I'm not sure of the projection and longevity of the EdT.

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - too bad they don't have it here. Might have to get a sample/blind buy.

Story by Paul Smith - not available here.

Dune by Dior - funny, I only tried Dior Homme and Dior Homme Sport and didn't try Dune, stupid me. Will definitely try this one.

I think I'm going to buy Dior Homme Sport. I really love the scent! I kept on sniffing the sprayed card even when I got home. I just can't get over it, like love at first sight. lol. I also tried Chanel Allure Sport, but wasn't that impressed. Maybe because I tried too many of Chanel's scent at once.

Anyway, I think I finally know the kind of scents that I like, which are the fresh and spicy/woody scents. If you guys have any more recommendations like that that works in hot humid weather, please let me know. Thanks guys!

Basenotes Member

If you haven't already, you might want to take a look at Bleu de Chanel, the Givenchy Play series (my fav is intense), D&G The One and The One Sport (both don't project well so someone would have to get in close to smell you).

This thread might be useful: The LIGHTER side of SPICE

My wife and I went to Hawaii this summer. I took Mont Blanc Legend with me. Maybe that wouldn't be the first choice by many here, but it performed nicely there.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan