Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Guerlain Vetiver... Wow!

I finally got a sample of this recently and, wow! I haven been this impressed by a fragrance in a long time. I'm somewhat new to Vetiver. So far, I own Encre Noire and I've sampled Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Givenchy Vetyver, as well as a few other fragrances that feature prominent vetiver notes. I've always enjoyed the note, but Guerlain completely threw me for a loop. This is everything I could ever want in a vetiver frag. I feel like I could already put it in my top 3 all time favorites. I can see why this is a classic. Such an amazing composition. Perfection. I bought a bottle immediately.

Now I'm itching to try Habit Rouge. Any other Guerlain Vetiver fans want to make some recommendations? Anyone else have a similar experience with this fragrance? Is it worth seeking out the original formula? I've only smelled what I believe to be the current formulation.

Default Re: Guerlain Vetiver... Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    Is it worth seeking out the original formula?
    Yes.
    I'd forgotten how good it was until a BN buddy sent me a sample recently. Vintage or bust.

Any other Guerlain Vetiver fans want to make some recommendations? Anyone else have a similar experience with this fragrance? Is it worth seeking out the original formula? I've only smelled what I believe to be the current formulation.
    I prefer the 2 more recent incarnations (BN heresy), I find the vintage a bit 'musty', perhaps due to heavier vetiver, or the effects of ageing. You might want to sample Lubin Le Vetiver, which is similar to the Guerlain. Also Carven Vetiver EdP is another good classical vetiver.

Anyway the Guerlain is my favourite vetiver and one of my favourite scents, period.

There is much to sniff in the world of vetiver, and I'm sure you will get plenty of recommendations.

However, you mentioned Habit Rouge - I heartily recommend seeking out vintage HR EDP - or even the HR extrait (there is a split of this going on now!). HR is not a vetiver frag but the two versions above are extraordinary! There is an ebay seller who has the vintage EDP at a good price - although I recently bought 3 of the 4 bottles listed. Out of the many bottles of fragrance I own, these I can see being used up within a couple of years - I think I'm in love.....

A stylishly complex fragrance, yet so simply elegant in its array of notes. Like wear it on a regular basis.

Solid, multi-faced and cleverly balanced vetiver based perfume. I like it but rarely wear it.

I can see why this is a classic. Is it worth seeking out the original formula? I've only smelled what I believe to be the current formulation.
    the current edition literally pales in comparison with the original.
    Last edited by gido; 12th October 2012 at 03:20 PM.

The original is better - but even today's formulation is good.

An overall wonderful fragrance.

i like the last reformulation better ,very nice and very classic, but i wear more often tom ford grey vetiver
    because i think its more clean vetyver.

I've tried the previous (ribbed bottle) and the current incarnations, and I love the newest version so much. It's pretty much exactly how I want to smell at this stage of my life. I wear plenty of other things so I don't get sick of GV, but I'm happy every time I put it on.

I love the opening and middle but once it gets to the base it all turns bad on me, not sure why. It turns so sharp that I cant stand it. I guess my nose it not seasoned enough to know whats good for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Vintage or bust.
    ditto

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sound Scents

I certainly don't hate it, but I really never clicked with any formulation of this one unfortunately (however I prefer the vintage).
    Last edited by drseid; 12th October 2012 at 11:17 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Basenotes Institution

Yes it is awesome and if you love it you owe it to yourself to seek out and try the vintage formulations: Eau de Cologne, Eau de Toilette and the Refreshing Body Splash. All of the vintage bottles have gold plated caps and labels...plus the juice is yellowish/gold (not green).

NOTE: This is a scent that does NOT need to be overapplied. I find that it works if applied away from my nose (neck) due to nose fatigue. It needs room to 'breathe', if you want.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I just bought a bottle of the Vetiver that is in the same style of bottle as the Habit Rouge and feel that it's different than the one in the frosted ribbed bottle. Can someone confirm that for me? Anyway, I was quite unimpressed by the previous one but love the current one I just bought - it's exactly the type of vetiver I was looking for.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    I just bought a bottle of the Vetiver that is in the same style of bottle as the Habit Rouge and feel that it's different than the one in the frosted ribbed bottle. Can someone confirm that for me? Anyway, I was quite unimpressed by the previous one but love the current one I just bought - it's exactly the type of vetiver I was looking for.
    Yes the 'new' Vetiver in the tall rectangular bottle is different than the green, ribbed glass bottle. There are several threads here on BN discussing this.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Guerlain Vetiver (in the ribbed, frosted-glass bottle) is a good one. You might also want to try Royall Lyme's Vetiver splash. It seems to be a pretty close copy of the Guerlain classic, and sometimes a cologne splash is fun, plus the Royall Lyme version is an all purpose lotion which can be used in ways an EDT cannot. Definately worth owning if you enjoy Guerlain's Vetiver.

+1 to Carven's Vetiver, another great, fresh Vetiver.

You mention owning Encre Noire. If you enjoy that I'd also recommend Chopard's Noble Vetiver. It's a fairly simple citrus top, Vetiver base composition, elegant sillage and good longevity. A high-quality, grown up fragrance that comes in a great, quality bottle which the juice is quite worthy of. It's darker than Guerlain but not as dark as Encre Noire. This is hard to find, but worth looking for.

Another fresh Vetiver, my personal favourite, is Annick Goutals. Though difficult to find it's well worth the hunt. It has marine or aquatic aspects which really set it apart and compliment the clean vetiver very well.

Roger & Gallet's Vetiver cologne is enjoyable too. A solid take on vetiver and inexpensive to boot.

Lastly I'd also recommend Comme des Garcon's Vetiveru. Though it's a cologne the price means you can splash it about liberally, and it gives decent longevity when applied so. The fragrance is very interesting and modern. A very casual scent that can be used any time.

Banned

If you can find its flanker, try:

Vetiver Eau Glacee/Vetiver Frozen by Guerlain - Albeit this flanker of the original Vetiver by Guerlain keeps the vetiver essence as its focus, it is decidedly cooler than the original with the warmer aspects of the original excised and replaced with "cooling agents", so to speak.
    One is initially treated to a minty, citric accord. A pronounced lime combines with orange and bergamot, resulting in a heightened tangy and bittersweet marriage, which is nicely tempered by a herbal mint. A faintly nutty vetiver serves as an undercurrent to this somewhat bracing and green concoction, and flows to the waiting middle. Here, in the heart, the citrus fades, allowing the mint to commingle with a woody and lively pepper as well as a smattering of cinnamon-like nutmeg. A sweetly floral and orangey neroli, with an ephemeral, metallic something, bathes the herbal brew. A muted earthiness and greenness from the vetiver serves as a backdrop. Transitioning to the base, the vetiver comes into its own, highlighting its steamed rice and grassy aura. Tonka bean, with its sweetly vanillic and slightly almondy facets, interplays with the green vetiver. A refreshing drydown ensues. This somewhat refined and fresh scent has good projection and longevity. A masculine, all-season composition, it will, indeed, shine in the warmer weather. This fragrance has a particularly attractive price point for its caliber.

It's great stuff and something about the fall season begs me for a few wearings of it. I like the most recent version in the tall glass, but I haven't had extensive experience with the various vintages. I grow tired of chasing vintage versions around....

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have Guerlain Vetiver Extreme in the tall bottle and it has a brighter smell and last longer on me than the regular GV. It is one of my favorites!

not a big fan of Vetiver myself, but love the Guerlain Vetiver, especially in summer

i was also wowed by it when i first sniffed it

A classic
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I certainly don't hate it, but I really never clicked with any formulation of this one unfortunately (however I prefer the vintage).
    the tobacco is too old fashioned for me. otherwise a great scent.