Code of Conduct

Default Medicinal topnote desired

You can smell it in White oud, Montale and Sel de vetiver - i would like to create a topnote with a medicinal and somewhat dry salty and harsh opening.
    Are there any chemicals or naturals known for a top note ?

I have plenty of stuff, but it only works in the base, thatīs the problem.

I fiddled with black pepper eo, red pepper eo, kardamom and so on, but the result was not convincing.

Regards

Conni

Default Re: Medicinal topnote desired

By "medicinal" do you mean Phenolic? You could try Thyme or Origanum oils. If you mean something like a muscle rub, you could try Methyl Salicylate.

As the good scent company suggests you could try derivatives of phenols or cresols, I have m-cresol and I confirm it's pretty medicinal but it actually feels a lot like civet and leather so you might not want it. Some quinoline as well may act in a similar way.
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist

guiacol smells like bandaids to me
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

I donīt know how phenolic or cresolic smells, though it is a common term in perfumery...
    Bandaids is a good suggestion, but iīm not sure if guaiacol works in the top note as well.
    With the medicinal smell i mean the smell inside a pharmacy for example or fresh ginseng root, maybe a bit earthy, or a vitamin supplement sirup ( Geritol tonic ).
    Thank you in advance for all ideas !

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks David, i should play around with Thyme and i need oregano oil.
    I also need meta-cresol, thanks otocione, sounds interesting.

Smell Tubereuse Criminelle for a clear medicinal opening.

for swap/sale:

hehe, yes when i can get the hands on it, but i guess the opening in Tubereuse criminelle has somewhat from eucalyptus or mothballs, i read a few reviews.
    But mothballs, yes, that has something.

Quote Originally Posted by Conni HD View Post
    I also need meta-cresol
    Penta has it in stock and they have not minimum orders, but I don't know if they sell to privates.
    Ah, if you get to find it, I definitely suggest you use it in 1% concentration, and store the bottle with the pure material in a close box, because it's REALLY strong

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    You could try Thyme or Origanum oils. If you mean something like a muscle rub, you could try Methyl Salicylate.
    These would be my top choice too: I use white thyme alongside lavender to give a squeaky clean, pharmacy edge to it for use as a bathroom freshener for example.

You might also try adding some of the related chemicals to the methyl salicylate - ethyl salicylate, benzyl salicylate and so on - to soften it. Alternatively you could go with the natural alternative of wintergreen oil (nearly all methyl salicylate) or sweet birch, which has a bit more complexity to it. Bornyl acetate might be useful too, though that's edging more towards the gin side than the pharmacy . . .
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Speaking of naturals, I feel estragon a bit medicinal too, but it may be my personal impression.

Tea tree oil smells very harsh and medicinal to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Tea tree oil smells very harsh and medicinal to me.

Thank you Chris and Otocione for your ideas, the wintergreen smell is something that really lacks in my collection, and tea tree, yes a woody tea tree smell, that is worth a try, thanks ariodant !
    I hope it all evaporates in the top note because thatīs what i require.

Ginger, eirher essential or CO2 becomes bandaids every single time. At least that's my exerience of it.

essential oils with a medicinal smell niaouli e.o. and wintergreen e.o. ( I use them in my homemade salves for osteoartritis)
    [COLOR=""]a rose is a rose is a rose[/COLOR]

I second Chris and BelleBeryl on the wintergreen. It's my Nr1 medicine effect However: dilute! One undiluted drop is guaranteed to overtake your precious fragrance composition. Consider starting one or two 1% diluted drops, and add as much as you like afterwards. Judge after one or two days!

Your'e welcome to visit my formulation blog, with a dozen of perfume formulations and accords to share!

Thyme was a good suggestion but it's more of a middle note. It's quite tenacious also and Conni wants something that evaporates away fully with the top note. Wintergreen or eucalyptus sound more suitable for her needs.

Wintergreen is mainly Methyl Salicylate, which is what I suggested last October. For a more subtle, although still medicinal note you could try Ethyl Salicylate.

David, What about some Camphoraceous medicinal effects, what might you suggest there?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Eucalyptus, plus Clove; Borneol, Fenchol and Fenchyl Acetate. Eucalyptus Citriadora. Pine Needle Oil, and Chinese Camphor Wood Oil.

How about rosemary, it's high in eucalyptol and camphor?

One of my favorite medicinal smells is Karvol decongestant inhalation capsules. The ingredients are...

Levomenthol Ph. Eur 35.55mg, Thymol B.P 3.15mg, Chlorbutol Ph.Eur. 2.25mg, Terpineol B.P 66.6mg, Pumilio Pine Oil 103.05mg, Pine oil Sylvestris 9.0mg, Cinnamon Oil, Macrogol, polyethylene Glycol, Glyceryl Triacetate, Polysorbate 80, Macrogol Monooleate.
    Last edited by Pears; 9th May 2013 at 08:56 PM.

My "medicine water" accord is made from:
    Black Pepper
    Eucalyptus (2 types)
    Lemon
    White thyme
    Rosemary
    Mint abs/tincture
    Menthol crystals
    Lavender
    Touch of vanilla
    Tiny amount sweet orange