Code of Conduct

Default Acqua di Parma Gelsomino Nobile - perplexing

I just received this, having bought it blind, based entirely upon the notes.

What I got was perplexing at best. It begins with a burst of citrus mandarin and pink pepper. Now I'm no fan of pink pepper but given it's in the top notes, I didn't quibble about that.

The heart notes follow fairly quickly - all white flowers - jasmine, tuberose and orange blossom. At this point, we have a typical and rather pretty floral accord.

This stage is relatively short lived and is followed by these heart notes being veiled by a rather perplexing note. It's strong, spicy, and appears to be the pink pepper blooming again. As the base notes only comprise cedar (which I don't like) and musk (which I adore), the haze covering the heart notes right down to the dry down cannot be either of these. My 'Alsatian nose' cannot detect the much loved musk at all, which is a real surprise.

As I said, I find it perplexing. The sweetness of the white flowers is toned right down by this odd note. It is then pretty much a unisex perfume and for those to whom this note speaks, a very pleasing one. The projection and sillage are remarkable. Sadly though, it wasn't what I was expecting. Having tried all three Nobile versions, based on my instant love of the gorgeous Profumo, I was surprised at how strangely linear these offerings are.

I would be interested to hear how others have found these Acqua di Parma 'Nobiles'.

Default Re: Acqua di Parma Gelsomino Nobile - perplexing

I love Iris Nobile. I've got a bottle of it in EdP concentration. Lasts fairly long. Opens very loud with neroli, then it turns into floral and powdery iris with oriental tones.

Basenotes Plus

I bought a sample of Gelsomino Nobile and I wasn't fond of it either. It really surprised me too because everything else I'd tried from them had been really good. I couldn't figure out what the strange note was either, but it's definitely there.

Hi Kiliwia

I feel better knowing someone else found that strange note rather disconcerting. I'd still be curious to know what it is, but I see it as a failure by the perfumer to achieve balance and harmony in the notes.