Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

just wondering, since I do like some of their creatures....

Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

I own and enjoy a couple of Creeds. In fact, GIT & Aventus are 2 of my absolute favorite frags. From what I've seen on the board, there are several factors why some people don't care for them - inconsistency with their batch variations & longevity issues are 2 common ones, and the overall price they charge in comparison to the quality & these issues. As the only 2 frags I own of theirs I love the smell of & get good projection & longevity with both, I've never had any issues for me to hate on them.

Although, if I purchase either one in the future & get wild inconsistencies from what I currently have, I'll likely not be very happy either. The bottom line is, while a rare few are ok with inconsistencies in products or services, the large majority of the population wants and expects a consistent product & experience for their money....especially when it's supposed to be a premium product or service. Again, just some thoughts & observations & I don't have enough real experience established with Creed to say one way or the other. So far, I've enjoyed my Creed's & found them to be well worth the price I paid (1 from a good walgreen's sale & one from a split here on BN).

Probably best to do a search, Francolino...

Maybe because they sell perfumes since the 1960's but say they have been making perfumes for the Pharaoh's since 1500 b.c. from the most precious and rare materials to be found around the Nile banks.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrem View Post
    Maybe because they sell perfumes since the 1960's but say they have been making perfumes for the Pharaoh's since 1500 b.c. from the most precious and rare materials to be found around the Nile banks.

I don't care if it's true or not,what a post.
    And only your second on Basenotes...

As far as Creed go I think they are just a bit overpriced.
    I wouldn't mind knowing exactly what the "higher quality" ingredients are that they apparently use , wherever they come from.

People like some houses. They dislike others. It might be down to their marketing strategy, or it could be because they dislike their scents. There are numerous possibilities. I don't think Creed is especially hated. It's simply talked about more and thus people who dislike it are given more chances to air their opinion. No one is starting threads asking why so many people hate Bond No.9 despite that many people do.

I'm fine with them, I have a few and they all smell good from time to time. I think it has to do with the crazy love some people have of them, and as a response people take the opposite view to an extreme. Maybe to balance out what they perceive as too much praise for what they are.

Mark me as one of the Creed "non-likers", not hate but don't like them either.

Long before I joined BN, can't remember where but read something about GIT and went down to John Lewis to give it a try only to find out it smells like Cool Water.

The came the BN, looked at all the threads talking about batch variations and how different a smell could be just as the batch number changes.

Decided not to bother with Creed, rather invest in proven houses like Montale and the likes.

I much appreciate houses who built their reputation over years of producing excellent products( guerlain,hermes, chanel).
    I have no respect to houses who sell mediocre products for prices that require bank mortgage under the imaginary fairy tales
    of their fake history.

I am guessing its the price. That's what does it for me.

I don't hate it but it's too expensive for what it is. I sampled Aventus twice, it smells ok but not great. For the same price I can buy bunch of quality fragrances that I enjoy more.

Not sure why that would matter so much especially if you like it. I like the house, but others who don't I'm sure have their reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Not sure why that would matter so much especially if you like it. [...]
    Because maybe I forgot to factor in something important, such as their longevity or their annoying ad campaign or their variance.

Basenotes Plus

It is one thing not to like the fragrances or appreciate the house, we all feel that way about one fragrance or house.

What I do find, there are certain people who will look for any opportunity when it comes to Creed, just to profess their hate for the brand.

In general I don't like their usually simple style. But what annoys me and many other people is the marketing of the brand, with its shameless claims which manage to extract exorbitant prices. That is proof of the marketing ability of the brand, of course.

cacio

For me, it's less hate and more about eye-rolling in response to the over-abundance of hype people give it (most probably to feel better about their rather spendy purchase, kinda like talking up Apple when you own it but it really doesn't meet your needs...).

That said, there are fine frags in the line and some of them I do like. I just think there is some lashback at the constant hype and constant threads (like this one.)

It's almost like the fragrance world's version of being rick-rolled. Or Chuck Norris jokes...

- - - Updated - - -

Note: It would be equally as useful to ask, "Why do certain Basenoters always mention Aventus in *any* fragrance thread, or in the event of no new threads make new ones to discuss batches or just Aventus in general?"

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ElVee View Post

Note: It would be equally as useful to ask, "Why do certain Basenoters always mention Aventus in *any* fragrance thread, or in the event of no new threads make new ones to discuss batches or just Aventus in general?"
    What about TdH, I would bet there are just as many mentions of TdH as there are Aventus.

Because they discontinued all their best fragrances and locked-up whatever was left of them in a big vault somewhere.

RIP Vintage Tabarome, Green Valley, Cuir de Russie, Vetiver, Angelique Encens, Bois de Santal, Aubepine-Acacia, Selection Verte, Royal Scottish Lavender, Feuille Verte......
    Last edited by morrison74; 12th October 2012 at 06:34 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Dependent

cuz thats all i hear about
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I do not hate Creed, or any niche for that matter. However, I can not see myself paying $120+ on a fragrance. That is just me though.

Basenotes Junkie

I don't hate Creed, like others have said, but I just dont understand how people praise it so much like they do. To me they are stuffy, boring frags that don't last long, are over priced, and overhyped. I'm ok with people liking them, more power to them, I just dont get why to a lot of people on this site think that everything Creed touches turns to gold. I like many different houses but I don't like every fragrance in those houses, but many Creed lovers think that every fragrance they make is outstanding and then they bash other houses for having a few hits and misses. Creed just has a strange cult following. I only like one of their frags-VIW and even at that its far from my favorite.

Blog Entries

You will see alot of negativity by me about Creed. I don't hate them, I just think they have such a cult following, people spending days researching Batch #'s and paying $300 for a product that is mediocre at best. I have GIT. I wouldn't have bought it unless I got a really good deal, with coupons. It smells great for 3hrs. Then no projection. OH...It lasts 10hrs on my skin if I press my nose to my arm...but is it $200 better than Cool Water...Um NO. I have Original Vetiver. A blind buy...Garbage. Smells like soap. I have tried several "FAMOUS BATCHES" of Aventus...Most smell like an ashtray. one batch was good, but for that money, why should I have to research which freaking batch I am getting?? Get some quality control.

It's the price! People feel that Creed frags should project better and have better longevity (Especially, if you're paying extreme prices). Call me a hypocrite, but I have a few (Thanks to Fragrancenet).

Banned

I have tried just few perfumes from this house, and remember when i was looking after Juliette has a gun perfume house i stumbled upon an interview with Romano Ricci and his friend perfume nose from Creed, and when they asked that guy which is his best perfume from JHG he said Not a perfume :-) , which is pure ambroxan:-)

So no wonder this Creed sells anemic, bloodless scents for ridiculously high prices, and i remember those few scents that i tried did not attract me to this house, i can live without trying even their best:-) , but this is me

Just bitter people who cannot afford the finer things in life.

Just kidding. Personally I find all the talk about Creed entertaining. I've not tried their products as I don't wish to pay so much for perfume (but I do like Cool Water and Mugler Cologne. Not really a fan of XS. Did not try Individuel/Joop yet.).

I think most people like their fragrances, but once they see the price some get a little unhappy with that. Also, I think the variations of the product from the different batches can be frustrating.

Denouncing Creed and all His works is a low risk step on the well-trodden path to inner nichedom.

hype,mediocre,only marketing............uffffffffff
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

The constantly samey threads are what piques my disdain for the brand. Is it part of their marketing strategy?

Honestly I like a good many of their scents but I refuse to ever buy one because I don't want to put down $200 and hope I win the batch lottery.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    The constantly samey threads are what piques my disdain for the brand. Is it part of their marketing strategy?
    LOL, I bet if I started a thread called "what is your favorite meal to eat when wearing Aventus, it would get a hundred replies...

very expensive, don't last at all, fuck up your nose, bad quality control...it's a good list

It's not Creed I hate or even their obnoxious marketing. It's the Creed fans who absolutely, positively cannot allow any criticism of a Creed fragrance to go unpunished. it's as if Creed were such a part of their own identity and sense of self-worth that to criticize the scent is to insult them. It's bizarre and extremely off-putting.

In spite of having to hold my nose at their marketing, I own Windsor, M.I., and Angelique Encens and enjoy them very much.

I also have many from other lines such as Le Labo, F. Malle, Hermessence, etc. They each have strengths and weaknesses, and ALL houses are fair game for criticism as far as I'm concerned.

Walgreen's carries Creed?

Quote Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
    Walgreen's carries Creed?
    They do. The more mainstream ones.

I never hated Creed, actually liking some of their fragrances, I may even overlook their less noteworthy creations, without however being a fanatic admirer of this fragrance house either.

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    I own and enjoy a couple of Creeds. In fact, GIT & Aventus are 2 of my absolute favorite frags. From what I've seen on the board, there are several factors why some people don't care for them - inconsistency with their batch variations & longevity issues are 2 common ones, and the overall price they charge in comparison to the quality & these issues..
    Inconsistency is my big issue. For the amount of money they charge, the batch inconsistencies are more than troubling. I don't mind barely perceptible changes due to natural ingredients, but Creed is way beyond this. Some of their stuff varies enough to be called reformulations. Beyond the phony baloney history of this house, the real issue is their premium price demands consistency and they don't deliver. Fix that and the criticism ends.

It's all smoke and mirrors with Creed. On ebay, you see hundreds of bottles from the early 20th century that people are selling, like Chanel, Guerlain, Caron, and Coty. However, there's no bottles to be found from Creed. Why is that?
    Just last night I went to Neimans and had the guy at the counter insist that all of the ingredients are "natural" - so my gripe is that they charge this high premium with no intelligence or service to back it up, but that is really to be expected if you then think about Creed's intent, and that is to sell expensive crap with a fake provenance to uneducated people with more money than brains.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    LOL, I bet if I started a thread called "what is your favorite meal to eat when wearing Aventus, it would get a hundred replies...
    It would! Try it, at least it's a refreshing angle : )

Haha - I think the responses so far have covered the issues that are continually raised.

It seems to be an entertaining BN artifact - the for and against passions for this house - we all get a giggle as people go for it!

In reality, they are just another house. You can pay a lot or you can pick them up cheaply, and you can like or dislike their various offerings, sometimes they "reformulate", and they conduct advertising - like most of the other brands. No big deal really...

Creed and the bond house I do not like, Both not because of scent but because of business practice and ethics. Creed has terrible batch variations and longevity projection problems which makes buying one a research of batch codes. And bond sues small time perfumers over names, which is ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind it is not their scents I do not like but there business

I enjoy Creed to a certain extent. I like Green Irish Tweed, Original Santal, and Original Vetiver enough to warrant having a full bottle. Longevity is just not great on me.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

To each their own. Personally I enjoy Creed very much and most of their scents appeal to me.

Creed should consider Basenotes as its best friend. The free publicity is almost nonstop. Even the negative comments provoke curiosity about the house from the unfamiliar. They should give Grant a lifetime supply of all of their products.
    I really doubt very many here actually hate Creed. Sure, they criticize it for its marketing, pricing and/or historical narrative, but hating something that really does one no harm is a stretch. The critics simply don't buy their products and tell us why on this site. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.
    Creed is a house which has made some of the best fragrances I've ever worn (e.g., Windsor, Vintage Tabarome, GIT). It consistently makes fragrances in the good-to-great range. I hope the house continues to do so for a long time to come.

Sound Scents

No hate here... Just like most every other house they have their winners and losers. I guess I personally wish they had more winners...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I don't hate them. I would just never pay retail for them.

I am praying that Aventus comes down in pricing to closer to GIT pricing on the grey market...
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Same reason people hate other successful organizations - envy.

It always seems to be the same kind of people who fall into the hate category. They seem to be very lazy and will only try 2-3 of the newest scents and moan nonstop while applying their criteria blindly to the whole line. If they tried some of the older stuff they might actually start to appreciate some very well executed fragrances.

Most of whats typed is an oxymoron when you realise the kind of scents the typical hater likes is akin to the kind of release that wouldn't be out of home in a pound/dollar store. I've sniffed glade plug in's that were better quality than the cack Versace has churned out of late.

And the way some people make an almost apologetic post for semi liking some scents is just cringeworthy. Why pander to the people who have no appreciation to begin with?

Creed has some seriously great scents and some that fall short, I don't think anyone educated enough to apply logic to a retail purchase genuinely pays any attention to press and marketing of ANY company that try to sell you a product.

Some people with self esteem problems define themselves and improve their own self image by developing weird, irrational hate issues. See Fox News, the Taliban, violent anti-choice activists, and anti-gay marriage activists for examples of this pitiful psychology. Same thing goes for people with bizarre hatred issues of any consumer product - Creed included. The warped psychology goes something like, "Well, I'm not perfect, but at least I'm not like THOSE people." The remaning sane, humane members of society have their patience tried mightily by this kind of annoying and childish behavior.

They're arguably the most popular niche house, that kind of popularity will always come with it's fair share of haters.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    They're arguably the most popular niche house, that kind of popularity will always come with it's fair share of haters.
    Very well said.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I agree that Creeds tend to be over priced. Also, the Creed house has a tendency of creating stories about celebrities/Kings/Drag Queens, etc., who have worn their fragrances. But, I do enjoy some of the fragrances and will purchase them on the secondary market. I would never pay full price.

Blog Entries

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Some people with self esteem problems define themselves and improve their own self image by developing weird, irrational hate issues. See Fox News, the Taliban, violent anti-choice activists, and anti-gay marriage activists for examples of this pitiful psychology. Same thing goes for people with bizarre hatred issues of any consumer product - Creed included. The warped psychology goes something like, "Well, I'm not perfect, but at least I'm not like THOSE people." The remaning sane, humane members of society have their patience tried mightily by this kind of annoying and childish behavior.
    Horse Manure: At least the Taliban, Pro-Lifers, and anti gay marriage people stand for something...Sometimes it's those who stand for nothing, that will fall for anything. I respect anyone who holds a well-thought-out, logical opinion, even if I disagree. I have no self-esteem issues, I don't "Hate" Creed, or Creed "worshipers" BUT I will fight to the death for the RIGHT to Hate anyone, anything, or any group I wish. Slowly the United States is trying to make it a crime to "Hate" How can you legislate thought or feeling??? Now leave me alone, I have to dust my GIT box...
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 13th October 2012 at 12:20 AM.

In my experience most people have severe psychological issues. I think the mix of sane to crazy here at basenotes is better than average, there are still a fair number of posters who project their insanity onto Creed. Whenever I read another rant about Creed I make a mental note that this person is probably off his medication.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    It's not Creed I hate or even their obnoxious marketing. It's the Creed fans who absolutely, positively cannot allow any criticism of a Creed fragrance to go unpunished. it's as if Creed were such a part of their own identity and sense of self-worth that to criticize the scent is to insult them. It's bizarre and extremely off-putting.

In spite of having to hold my nose at their marketing, I own Windsor, M.I., and Angelique Encens and enjoy them very much.

I also have many from other lines such as Le Labo, F. Malle, Hermessence, etc. They each have strengths and weaknesses, and ALL houses are fair game for criticism as far as I'm concerned.
    Good point, Brian.

In some cases, Creed fans are a idolatrous to the point of being like sports fans. They adore this brand yet vehenmently abhor other brands.

I personally only own one scent of the line, but I don't like the fake coat of arms on the boxes which resembles that of the Prince of Wales.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I don't hate them, but I doubt that I'll ever own one of their fragrances.

It's not just that they're overpriced crap. They're absurdly overpriced crap. Nonetheless, some of their fragrances really impress me. Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie, Chevrefeuille, Windsor, and Vintage Tabarome are all wonderful. None of them are worth their price, though.

I totally hate Bond No.9, though.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Because famous people wears Creed
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I think they have some amazing fragrances...and some I don't like. Pretty much just like most houses out there.

Basenotes Junkie

Enough already!

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    People like some houses. They dislike others. It might be down to their marketing strategy, or it could be because they dislike their scents. There are numerous possibilities. I don't think Creed is especially hated. It's simply talked about more and thus people who dislike it are given more chances to air their opinion. No one is starting threads asking why so many people hate Bond No.9 despite that many people do.
    didn't know I needed your permission to post?!