Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

just wondering, since I do like some of their creatures....
    sailing the Oceans of Boredom...
    Currently wearing: GrigioPerla by La Perla

Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

I own and enjoy a couple of Creeds. In fact, GIT & Aventus are 2 of my absolute favorite frags. From what I've seen on the board, there are several factors why some people don't care for them - inconsistency with their batch variations & longevity issues are 2 common ones, and the overall price they charge in comparison to the quality & these issues. As the only 2 frags I own of theirs I love the smell of & get good projection & longevity with both, I've never had any issues for me to hate on them.

Although, if I purchase either one in the future & get wild inconsistencies from what I currently have, I'll likely not be very happy either. The bottom line is, while a rare few are ok with inconsistencies in products or services, the large majority of the population wants and expects a consistent product & experience for their money....especially when it's supposed to be a premium product or service. Again, just some thoughts & observations & I don't have enough real experience established with Creed to say one way or the other. So far, I've enjoyed my Creed's & found them to be well worth the price I paid (1 from a good walgreen's sale & one from a split here on BN).

Probably best to do a search, Francolino...

Maybe because they sell perfumes since the 1960's but say they have been making perfumes for the Pharaoh's since 1500 b.c. from the most precious and rare materials to be found around the Nile banks.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrem View Post
    Maybe because they sell perfumes since the 1960's but say they have been making perfumes for the Pharaoh's since 1500 b.c. from the most precious and rare materials to be found around the Nile banks.

I don't care if it's true or not,what a post.
    And only your second on Basenotes...

As far as Creed go I think they are just a bit overpriced.
    I wouldn't mind knowing exactly what the "higher quality" ingredients are that they apparently use , wherever they come from.

People like some houses. They dislike others. It might be down to their marketing strategy, or it could be because they dislike their scents. There are numerous possibilities. I don't think Creed is especially hated. It's simply talked about more and thus people who dislike it are given more chances to air their opinion. No one is starting threads asking why so many people hate Bond No.9 despite that many people do.

I'm fine with them, I have a few and they all smell good from time to time. I think it has to do with the crazy love some people have of them, and as a response people take the opposite view to an extreme. Maybe to balance out what they perceive as too much praise for what they are.

Mark me as one of the Creed "non-likers", not hate but don't like them either.

Long before I joined BN, can't remember where but read something about GIT and went down to John Lewis to give it a try only to find out it smells like Cool Water.

The came the BN, looked at all the threads talking about batch variations and how different a smell could be just as the batch number changes.

Decided not to bother with Creed, rather invest in proven houses like Montale and the likes.

I much appreciate houses who built their reputation over years of producing excellent products( guerlain,hermes, chanel).
    I have no respect to houses who sell mediocre products for prices that require bank mortgage under the imaginary fairy tales
    of their fake history.

I am guessing its the price. That's what does it for me.

I don't hate it but it's too expensive for what it is. I sampled Aventus twice, it smells ok but not great. For the same price I can buy bunch of quality fragrances that I enjoy more.

Not sure why that would matter so much especially if you like it. I like the house, but others who don't I'm sure have their reasons.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Not sure why that would matter so much especially if you like it. [...]
    Because maybe I forgot to factor in something important, such as their longevity or their annoying ad campaign or their variance.

Basenotes Plus

It is one thing not to like the fragrances or appreciate the house, we all feel that way about one fragrance or house.

What I do find, there are certain people who will look for any opportunity when it comes to Creed, just to profess their hate for the brand.

In general I don't like their usually simple style. But what annoys me and many other people is the marketing of the brand, with its shameless claims which manage to extract exorbitant prices. That is proof of the marketing ability of the brand, of course.

cacio

For me, it's less hate and more about eye-rolling in response to the over-abundance of hype people give it (most probably to feel better about their rather spendy purchase, kinda like talking up Apple when you own it but it really doesn't meet your needs...).

That said, there are fine frags in the line and some of them I do like. I just think there is some lashback at the constant hype and constant threads (like this one.)

It's almost like the fragrance world's version of being rick-rolled. Or Chuck Norris jokes...

- - - Updated - - -

Note: It would be equally as useful to ask, "Why do certain Basenoters always mention Aventus in *any* fragrance thread, or in the event of no new threads make new ones to discuss batches or just Aventus in general?"

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ElVee View Post

Note: It would be equally as useful to ask, "Why do certain Basenoters always mention Aventus in *any* fragrance thread, or in the event of no new threads make new ones to discuss batches or just Aventus in general?"
    What about TdH, I would bet there are just as many mentions of TdH as there are Aventus.

Because they discontinued all their best fragrances and locked-up whatever was left of them in a big vault somewhere.

RIP Vintage Tabarome, Green Valley, Cuir de Russie, Vetiver, Angelique Encens, Bois de Santal, Aubepine-Acacia, Selection Verte, Royal Scottish Lavender, Feuille Verte......
    Last edited by morrison74; 12th October 2012 at 06:34 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Swaps
    Wanted

Dependent

cuz thats all i hear about
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I do not hate Creed, or any niche for that matter. However, I can not see myself paying $120+ on a fragrance. That is just me though.

Dependent

I don't hate Creed, like others have said, but I just dont understand how people praise it so much like they do. To me they are stuffy, boring frags that don't last long, are over priced, and overhyped. I'm ok with people liking them, more power to them, I just dont get why to a lot of people on this site think that everything Creed touches turns to gold. I like many different houses but I don't like every fragrance in those houses, but many Creed lovers think that every fragrance they make is outstanding and then they bash other houses for having a few hits and misses. Creed just has a strange cult following. I only like one of their frags-VIW and even at that its far from my favorite.

Blog Entries

You will see alot of negativity by me about Creed. I don't hate them, I just think they have such a cult following, people spending days researching Batch #'s and paying $300 for a product that is mediocre at best. I have GIT. I wouldn't have bought it unless I got a really good deal, with coupons. It smells great for 3hrs. Then no projection. OH...It lasts 10hrs on my skin if I press my nose to my arm...but is it $200 better than Cool Water...Um NO. I have Original Vetiver. A blind buy...Garbage. Smells like soap. I have tried several "FAMOUS BATCHES" of Aventus...Most smell like an ashtray. one batch was good, but for that money, why should I have to research which freaking batch I am getting?? Get some quality control.

It's the price! People feel that Creed frags should project better and have better longevity (Especially, if you're paying extreme prices). Call me a hypocrite, but I have a few (Thanks to Fragrancenet).

Banned

I have tried just few perfumes from this house, and remember when i was looking after Juliette has a gun perfume house i stumbled upon an interview with Romano Ricci and his friend perfume nose from Creed, and when they asked that guy which is his best perfume from JHG he said Not a perfume :-) , which is pure ambroxan:-)

So no wonder this Creed sells anemic, bloodless scents for ridiculously high prices, and i remember those few scents that i tried did not attract me to this house, i can live without trying even their best:-) , but this is me

Just bitter people who cannot afford the finer things in life.

Just kidding. Personally I find all the talk about Creed entertaining. I've not tried their products as I don't wish to pay so much for perfume (but I do like Cool Water and Mugler Cologne. Not really a fan of XS. Did not try Individuel/Joop yet.).

I think most people like their fragrances, but once they see the price some get a little unhappy with that. Also, I think the variations of the product from the different batches can be frustrating.

Denouncing Creed and all His works is a low risk step on the well-trodden path to inner nichedom.
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

hype,mediocre,only marketing............uffffffffff
    #TOP 5#: Penhaligons Racquets,Jean Pascal Homme,Romeo Gigli Uomo,ST Barth Homme,Domenico Caraceni

The constantly samey threads are what piques my disdain for the brand. Is it part of their marketing strategy?

Honestly I like a good many of their scents but I refuse to ever buy one because I don't want to put down $200 and hope I win the batch lottery.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan