Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 61 to 86 of 86
  1. #61

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    Kron, Cologne Connoisseur well done, E Ku Se!

    Creed is my fav house on the strength of Windsor alone(disclaimer), much of the stuff I have outperform it in sillage/longevity, but none smell as good. The criticisms I see most often about Creed, without regard to scent, are price, marketing, batch differences.

    Price-price is relative. In a recent thread asking what one would do differently if they started over, several said not buy cheapies from TJ Ross and Maxx. To some buying a $300 or even $3000 bottle of perfume is the equivalent of another buying one for $30. Ones treasure is another's trash. To complain about the price of a luxury item, that no one needs at all is, IMO absurd and ridiculous at best.
    Marketing- marketing in many cases is embellishment, conjecture, a skewing of reality, fantasy. Of all of the RedBull I've consumed and watched others consume, I've never seen any one sprout wings. Likewise, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt the more people, other than the chubby dude and his golden retriever, know the recipe to Bush's baked beans. I've never seen anyone have a problem with either of those campaigns, yet so many seem to have a problem with Creeds. Now I will admit that somewhere in the back of my mind I believe that dog to be a seedy character, because his behavior is very suspicious, and I'll likely end up putting a contract on his head, I know that mf'r doesn't know the recipe. Learn to separate reality from fantasy, and teach your kids the same.
    Batches-I have a hard time believing that so many have used so much Aventus to have to purchase another to find out its different, it hasn't been out that long. Even if there is some difference, the proportion of that difference has been blown out of proportion, for real. All of the samples and different testers I've sniffed have all smelled the same as the bottle I have. But if any out there want the "good" batch of Aventus, I have it, $10/ml, ridiculous.
    Love, I understand love. When someone loves, they usually go all out, but no need to attack those in love. Hate, I've never understood hate in any shape, form or fashion, hate is a disease. Spread love, it's the Brooklyn way.
    Last edited by PEARL; 13th October 2012 at 07:05 AM.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    They seem to want as much attention as possible, which makes sense from a business perspective, but will attract both positive and negative remarks, some of which are accurate and some which are not necessarily fair (considering the excesses of the frag industry). I think they make the frag world more colorful if not more credible.

  3. #63

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    just like a basenoter said, some loves it,others hate it. I myself just dont care about Creed. Most of Creed scents are too boring to get any attention of mine.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    How many of you guys who love Creed believe the stories behind the creations of many of the scents for various historical figures?

  5. #65
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,759

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    Who cares if anyone hates the fragrance house you like? The world would be such a boring place if everyone likes the same things.

  6. #66

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    Having read the rest of these posts I'm forced to wonder. We're talking about faceless, emotionless entities here when we discuss niche houses and designer brands. Hatred is just too strong a word. A part of the whole retail process is buying what you like and dismissing what you don't for various reasons, some more subjective than others, some of which will make sense to no-one but yourself, but all of which are perfectly valid. Where does hatred come into it?

    Everyone in this thread who has been critical of Creed has posted some reasons. None of them are pouring vitriol upon the brand. To me it seems more of a dismissal, 'Creed does XYZ, XYZ is not for me.' or 'I find X too unsavoury/annoying to support,' not saying they should cease to exist, or wishing harm on them, etc. Even if you were to believe such views highly bias and subjective they're still totally valid from a consumer standpoint. You could take any criticism of Creed and apply it to other companies. Self-important marketing, and totally unverified, suspect brand history? Rance. Obscene Prices? Chanel, Guerlain, Dior and Tom Ford exclusives, and so on. And people make these criticisms and no one minds.

    I don't buy anything from Chanel, or Bond No.9, for a host of reasons. I won't go into them because I don't see the point of posting criticisms, but there you go. I find Dior's overall marketing vibe really irritating, but I like a few of their fragrances. When I go to a perfume store or the perfume section in a department store there are about a dozen brands which may as well not exist because I simply ignore them. They're not for me. Yet I don't see anyone posting threads, or trying to rationalize away my consumer choices as some kind of neurosis because I'm not into Chanel, Dior, Bond no.9, Victor & Rolf, Marc Jacobs, endless celebrity-branded fragrances, and a dozen or more others.

    Time and again however I see in the online fragrance community when someone dismisses, or criticises Creed, regardless of their reasoning, or even if they say they're simply not for them they're liable to meet with resistance to their opinions. It may be implied that it's due to envy or because they cannot afford it, or rationalized away as some kind of invalid, verbotten consumer choice that can only be the result of neurosis or mental defects. The only cure for which is endless hectoring, and propagandizing about the greatness of the company.

    Once again let me point out that Bond No.9 cops just as much flak and criticism as Creed does. More in fact. Yet despite the number of people who really enjoy their fragrances we don't see the same dynamic at work.

    How many people have posted threads in Basenotes asking for recommendations, and giving specific crteria only to have x number of people respond by telling them to buy GiT, Aventus or something else despite that it clearly goes against what they're looking for? Here's one example, a guy asks for non-aquatic fragrance suggestions that will work in tropical heat. He says he does not want niche suggestions as they're not available in his area. Five people tell him to buy Aventus.

    I really think this is less about Creed and more about some of the people who like Creed, and really what it boils down to is a hyperactive compulsion on the part of some of them to 1) promote the brand and 2) censure and object to all criticism of the brand.

    Those two things foster as much dislike as curiosity. That's natural.

    Incidentally if anyone is interested as to why I'm not fussed with Creed it's because I find their bottles dull. It's shamelessly superficial, but the simple fact is the world of fragrance is so huge I don't need to buy anything that I dislike on any level. There are always dozens, if not hundreds of alternatives.

  7. #67

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    Aren't the Creed fragrances quite good frags i guess? I haven't smelled any of those. But the price tag is a turn-off for me.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

  8. #68

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    [...]
    Incidentally if anyone is interested as to why I'm not fussed with Creed it's because I find their bottles dull. It's shamelessly superficial, but the simple fact is the world of fragrance is so huge I don't need to buy anything that I dislike on any level. There are always dozens, if not hundreds of alternatives.
    Oh, completely agree. I always give extra points for cool bottle design.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    It always seems to be the same kind of people who fall into the hate category. They seem to be very lazy and will only try 2-3 of the newest scents and moan nonstop while applying their criteria blindly to the whole line. If they tried some of the older stuff they might actually start to appreciate some very well executed fragrances.

    Most of whats typed is an oxymoron when you realise the kind of scents the typical hater likes is akin to the kind of release that wouldn't be out of home in a pound/dollar store. I've sniffed glade plug in's that were better quality than the cack Versace has churned out of late.

    And the way some people make an almost apologetic post for semi liking some scents is just cringeworthy. Why pander to the people who have no appreciation to begin with?

    Creed has some seriously great scents and some that fall short, I don't think anyone educated enough to apply logic to a retail purchase genuinely pays any attention to press and marketing of ANY company that try to sell you a product.

    Telling it like it is!

  10. #70

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    No hate for the house of Creed. I just hate the fact I paid over $100 for GIT and the scent disappeared within an hour. I am anxious, though, to get my hands on Windsor. From what I understand that has much better lasting power.

  11. #71

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    The whole 'hate' and 'haters' thing is sort of teenagey, isn't it?

    Creed make some good stuff. I think a lot of the criticism or vitriol comes from the sheer pretentiousness of the marketing bullshit. If you ever get the chance just listen to the Creed rep who phoned in to a radio interview Turin & Sanchez were doing a while back - blatant, unashamed self promotion of the most obnoxious kind. I think perhaps there may even a bit a bit of 'a lover scorned' stuff going on, as well. Back in the early 90's I fell for the whole story and when I got around to seeing thru it all I felt pretty stupid and I suppose it could be annoying to see so many kids here buying into it if I could be bothered caring.

    Bottomline - if you like the stuff enjoy it, just try not to be gullible in public

  12. #72

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    maybe hate was too paroxsysmal, let's say"passionately dislike", I agree that some niche houses use the overpricing as some sort of marketing tool, I would ha loved to love Bond no.9 but sadly it doesn't do so much for me, their bottles are wonderful, anyway!
    Last edited by Francolino; 14th October 2012 at 08:34 AM.
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

  13. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    6,675

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?


  14. #74

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post

    Bottomline - if you like the stuff enjoy it, just try not to be gullible in public
    Haha - great summary!

  15. #75

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    I think a lot this batch stuff is mass hysteria. I'm not going to argue with anyone about it so please keep posting batch numbers..,

    Creed makes some scents that people like. Some people dont. Just like any other company.

    I like, own and wear several of them.

    Some of the Creed reps will foist a lot of bullshyt on people the same way a car salesman or any one else selling anything for a living would. Would you hate BMW if the salesman bullshyt you to make a sale? Yes, some of you would. Some of you do. I love the Creed haters personally. After a few years here, I came to appreciate the pettiness it takes to devote yourself to pissing on a product a lot of people like just because YOU don't like it. But, that's the nature of these forums. Please keep posting.

    Yes, they're "overpriced" as pretty much all of this stuff is. The markup on all this juice if horrific. You wanna go there? Really?

    It's your money and your nose. If you like a Creed, can afford it and thik it's worth the money, buy it and wear it. If you don't, don't buy it.

    If there is something within you that can be satisfied by coming in here and pissing on Creed, please do so. It's tradition at this point.

  16. #76

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    And don't forget - same goes for pissing on the pissers - also a fine BN tradition ;-)

  17. #77

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    Surely the real question is why do some people not hate Creed? But I guess the bottles look good standing on the shelf next to each other.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    My problem with Creed is the size and completeness of the marketing fantasy. The other issues - the fact that I find the fragrances merely Perfectly Nice but they have a higher than Perfectly Nice price, for example - just mean that I would refrain from buying. It's the fantasy that annoys me. It happens to be more complete and more annoying than the average product fantasy. But I don't hate them, I'm just less likely to give them a chance than the average fragrance company.

  19. #79

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    nice to note how in every forum you walk in the net there are Misters Know It All who tell you what you should write or not write!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

  20. #80

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    The very concept of the niche market is that it is not mainstream, hence a niche becoming more mainstream and popular goes against the very concept of niche that many embrace. It's perfectly reasonable to understand some of the hatred. Although there are legitimate complaints regarding batches, sillage, longevity and so forth.

    Coming from a huge fan of Creed products I understand the dislike, but I don't like the hypocrisy of those who act like other niche lines don't also produce some pretty mediocre scents. No single house is vastly superior to all others

  21. #81

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    I'm put off by Creed simply because I think it's overpriced, overhyped, and overrated. So, i'm over it. I think that some people buy things just for bragging rights...probably the same reason why you couldn't pay me to buy an Apple product, but that's another thread.

  22. #82
    Super Member Picassoutine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    This is a very strange thread. I looked it up because I finally got around to trying several of the much-vaunted Creeds and found them most unappealing. None of the fancy theories mentioned above, I just don't like the way they smell. Not wasting my energy to 'hate' them, just won't be purchasing any or trying any more of them. Don't get what all the fuss is about. Even if they were bargain-basement-priced I wouldn't be interested.

    I did take a whiff from my niece's bottle of White Flowers recently, which was tolerable. Otherwise, Creed has replaced Le Labo as my least-favorite house.
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

    Jean Klein

  23. #83

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Probably best to do a search, Francolino...
    This.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Who cares if anyone hates the fragrance house you like? The world would be such a boring place if everyone likes the same things.
    +1.

  24. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    people tend to criticize creed for four reasons:
    - batch variations
    - high price
    - spotty longevity
    - weak projection

    i agree with all of them, but i like the creed scents so much i can forgive those flaws.

  25. #85

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    I don't hate creeds. I think they have too little longevity, and are too expensive. I dont even know what their marketing campaigns look like, or what they say about their own products.

  26. #86
    Basenotes Plus
    Dernier_Cri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    By the Big Lake
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: Why do certain basenoter hate Creed so much?

    It is an interesting question. My personal feeing is that in large part the "hatred" for Creed is just the normal human response to what is seen as the unreasonable almost religious devotion of Creed lovers. I refer to Creed people esp, Aventus people as "the Cult" in some of my posts. I don't hate Creed. I think they make some fine fragrances. I like Windsor. I like Aventus. I like Pure White Cologne. I don't think I ever smelled a Creed fragrance that didn't seem like it was made well; that didn't seem like a lot of effort had been put into it to make it just what Creed wanted. I don't hate Creed lovers. That's would be silly. Everybody here wears whatever they like. Nobody really cares what anyone else wears ultimately. Creed to me has a certain style. Very generally speaking: light, clean, unoffending. Unoffending. I think they are crowd pleasers. Some basenoters may see it as dumbed down. Or unchallenging. Or insipid. Depends on your point of view and above all your personal tastes. That combined with what are seen as high prices and all the ridiculous batch variation business just gives basenoters who didn't like Creed to begin with more fuel for the fire. I'm not a Creed guy. But I always look forward to sampling new Creed releases.

Similar Threads

  1. Love/Hate: Creed Chevrefeuille Original
    By Mr_Castro in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 30th April 2014, 10:24 PM
  2. Seriously, why do Turn & Sanchez hate Creed so much?
    By Virabhadra in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 16th June 2011, 08:08 AM
  3. If You Hate Somebody, Give 'Em Creed For XMas
    By iMaverick in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 25th December 2008, 04:49 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24th February 2007, 09:25 AM
  5. I Hate Creed Bottles Spray Mechanisms
    By incedal in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 19th February 2006, 01:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000