Code of Conduct

Default Have you ever...?

Have you ever looked at your wardrobe, and realized that you did not need to purchase "that much" of a fragrance? Or that you should have purchased a larger bottle?
    I find myself constantly opening my drawers and asking myself, "Why did I get the 3.4 oz..." I know the price is usually favorable, but I can't help but wonder. I also wish that I would have reconsidered bottle sizes on some of my complimentary bottles. L'Homme compliments La Nuit, and vise versa. I own a 100ml of La Nuit and a 50ml of L'Homme. However, I wish those bottle sizes were switched around, as I tend to wear L'Homme a lot more now (the night life dies once the semester starts!)

How about you, ladies and gentlemen? Do you find yourself wanting to downsize on a specific bottle? Wishing you would have purchased the larger one? Or simply wishing you could switch bottle sizes on some of your fragrances.

Default Re: Have you ever...?

The only bottle that I wish I purchased more of is Prada Amber Pour Homme. 50 mL is plenty for everything else.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

HM by Hanae Mori. I bought 100mL's for $34 (this was with a bunch of old coupons, would have been like $60). I like it on occasion, but I doubt I'll ever get through all 100mL's.

Have never wanted to downsize a bottle nor my collection, at least not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    HM by Hanae Mori. I bought 100mL's for $34 (this was with a bunch of old coupons, would have been like $60). I like it on occasion, but I doubt I'll ever get through all 100mL's.
    Definitely a "decent" fragrance. I couldn't see myself purchasing the 50ml to be honest. I think the 5 1.2ml samples I got will last some time.

I have several fragrances (well, probably most) that I will never get all the way through, simply because I have so many to choose from. However, the price difference is always so small between 50 and 100 ml, I almost always just spend a little more and get the 100ml... just to be sure!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

I never really feel I have "too much" of one, as I figure I'll eventually use it over the years. If I don't like it enough to use it, or simply get tired of it, then I can always sell or swap it. I have some favorites, however, that I currently only have 50 ml or decants of, and definitely wish I would have gotten more of at the time for just a little bit more money.

I assume that my collection will be significantly downsized in a couple of years. All I really set out to do, a couple of years ago, was to find, let's say, forty or so, fragrances that I'd really enjoy wearing. Maybe 30-40. So, yes, I've made some mistakes and ended up with some bottles that are too big. It's part of the process. I assume that I'm going to have to try a few hundred names, wear them multiple times, live with them for a while, before I can really make an informed choice about what to keep. At least half of what I have is in bath and body product form, so even when I'm not in love with a fragrance it still has some usefulness as soap, or it keeps my skin from drying out, so everything gets used up (pretty much).

Anyway, the goal is to have less than half of what I have now. It'll take a while and, yes, I have too much of some names I don't like. I've only thrown out an almost full bottle once, a bottle of Kouros Cologne Sport shower gel. Though... my bottle of the reformulated Quorum and my bottle of Gentiane Blanche may meet the same fate, depending on space needs.

I have 50+ bottles. I am in the process of reducing my collection to about 25. I have found what I really like and and I will use the money I receive for the other bottles and save it for something else.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

I believe that 99% of the time, a 1 oz bottle would be perfect for guys like me with at least 20 bottles. That 1% exception are my Creeds, which I wear more often (and because I love the bottles). I just never use anything up, although I do have a 1 oz of Aventus that will probably run out by Spring (but I have a 1.7 oz back-up).

Dependent

Ive only thought of upsizing my collection haha! Its always good to have more of the better things in life
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I fully agree with Teemas on this. It has been rather the opposite. Always the constant urge to expand, branch out, trade up, diversify etc., could never stop genuinely enjoying purchasing certain frags.

I find myself reaching: for the bigger sized bottles when greed invades me, and for the small ones when I think clearly how a small size will be good for the next ten years or so, considering all the bottles and decants I already have.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I was upsold to get a gift set of D&G The One. I now have a 100 and a 50. Although it's a great frag, I don't use it nearly enough to warrant that much in my collection. I would have been fine with just the 50. Then again, by applying for the department credit card, along with the sales etc, the 50 in the gift set was technically free when I purchased the 100 so I don't feel TOO badly about it!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    I'm not obsessed, I'm passionately intrigued. The difference is how much money I have available to spend!

Yes. There are definitely bottles I wish were bigger and others I wish I had just got a sample of instead. I did a lot of blind ebay buying soon after I found this site and have expanded my collection to where there are frags that I will never wear. Probably need to start selling some of them.

I usually buy 50 ml unless there is only 100 ml available. And whenever I see the level of a scent decrease slightly I start panicking and wish I had bought the big bottle (when it is a beloved scent). But to be honest, most of the time the level decreases not because of heavy usage but rather by decanting samples.
    I think I should always buy 100 ml, and when it turns out too much I can still sell bigger decants (if it wasn't work...)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I have several fragrances (well, probably most) that I will never get all the way through, simply because I have so many to choose from. However, the price difference is always so small between 50 and 100 ml, I almost always just spend a little more and get the 100ml... just to be sure!
    I agree with Dougczar.

Quite a few. I'm awful at picking bottle sizes.

I wish I had 3.4oz bottles of Angel Men, Gucci Pour Homme II, Burberry London, Versace the Dreamer, Dior Fahrenheit, and Bulgari Black. I love each and every one of those.

Meanwhile, I wish I had smaller bottles of Dolce and Gabbana the One and YSL La Nuit De L'Homme. I don't wear those often enough at all. I don't even like them that much.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Sure. For some I'm glad I'd bought a full bottle e.g. Esencia Loewe. For others which I don't love as much e.g. Tom Ford Italian Cypress, 50 ml is way too much.

Definitely a lot of interesting answers. I suppose it makes more sense to those of us who can afford to keep upsizing. I guess when I asked this, I had in mind the rising cost of tuition, moving out, etc. Sometimes I think to myself that the extra money spend on larger bottles would add up to cover half of my rent for a month.
    Oh well, if money were not an issue, I would not regret buying larger bottles
    However, if I have other expenses (which I do now), I would probably downsize a bit

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    HA!!! Exactly this.
    H.M. I like it. I got mine for under $30. If I live to be 200 years old, I doubt I'll ever finish it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm finally learning to pay more attention to the cost difference between smaller and larger sizes. If it's less than $10 (hello AMAZON!) I'll go for the large. Otherwise, I've finally started buying smaller sizes.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Definitely a lot of interesting answers. I suppose it makes more sense to those of us who can afford to keep upsizing. I guess when I asked this, I had in mind the rising cost of tuition, moving out, etc.
    I don't think it's about this to be honest. My collection is constantly growing but when I can I usually buy the smallest bottle available down to about 20mls, at least when it comes to modern scents. The only time I buy big bottles is when I'm replacing something I love and wear frequently, buying backups of vintage/discontinued scents I want or shopping at a discounter who only offers larger sizes albiet at prices equal to or less than the cost of a smaller bottle elsewhere.

It's not a question of whether or not the larger sizes are affordable. When I look at my collection and see a year old 100ml bottle that only has a few sprays missing though I might think, 'I could have gotten five minis or two or three 30ml bottles for that price,' and that can be cause for regret. There are just so many perfumes I want to buy. It's not even a question of following new releases, but of going back in time and searching out vintages. It's a hobby of endless discovery but the search costs money. Even if you have money to spare it makes sense to get more out of it, no?

When it comes to fragrances I love, fragrances that have stood the test of time, there is no such thing as too much. I think another basenoter put it best when they said they feel like they have to save them. However for the majority of modern fare I just want enough for a few months or a season of testing every now and then so I can fully come to grips with it. If I enjoy it I can always buy a larger bottle later. I find the cost of occasionally needing to replace an empty 30ml with a 50 or 100ml is off-set by the savings of buying smaller bottles in the first place.

I mean how far does one carry the bigger bottle logic? I rather like Caron Pour un Homme, but do I really need a 20 or so ounce bottle? Of course it's a huge saving for the quantity, but the standard 4.2 ounce/125ml bottle already lasts and lasts. Now if it were discontinued that's a different story.

Good point Miket. In my case I always go for the larger bottle simply because I can't justify purchasing 50ml for $10 less than 100ml. I suppose if these fragrances are going to last as long as I'm around, then it's no big deal

No. Wondering why I don't get more.

for swap/sale:

I looked at my measly 30ml bottle of Arpege pH and thought that, now that I like it, it has been discontinued and the prices have gone up. I could find and have bought another 30ml for a good price though, so now I feel a bit better about the whole issue.

I wonder why i wasted a ton of time and money on Ross and Marshalls AND Ebay on $15 bottles when i could have easily got probably 10 niche Frags with the money i spent!! ah well you always learn more going through Terrible times

I'm a collector, so no.

However, the price difference is always so small between 50 and 100 ml, I almost always just spend a little more and get the 100ml... just to be sure!
    I'm pretty much the same. I mostly buy things from online discounters, and with them the difference between 50ml and 100ml bottles usually seems to be even less than in the shops (if they even have 50ml bottles). I've only bought 50ml bottles a few times when I've seen something hard to get or exceptionally cheap (eg £25 for 50ml of Gucci PHII from eBay, £18 for 50ml of Boss No 1 from Cheapsmells).
    Alan

Blog Entries

There are a few samples in my collection that I like, but only wear rarely. I wouldn't buy a bigger bottle b/c I'd never get through it,.

- - - Updated - - -

Dependent

ive been feeling that way as of late sucks i feel i only need about of them cuz i love them the rest i just like
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I've not yet wanted to downsize any of my bottles at all, but there are quite a few in my collection that I regretted only buying smaller bottles of.

The most memorable of these was M7 Fresh. I bought a 50 ml bottle blind (unfortunately, like most designer flankers almost none of them make it to the shores of Australia!) based mainly on my love of M7 and the almost ludicrous idea of pairing citrus with oud.

To my surprise I fell instantly in love with M7 Fresh – I’m now on my second 100ml bottle after finishing the original 50ml and another full 100ml!

I have 8-10 scents I wear all the time . Conservative estimate of approx 4 sprays per day , maybe 2 sprays for 2 different scents. That gives approx .5ml used per day or around 185ml per year. 6 of these scents are used in yearly rotation. Maybe 2 are used less so. By my calculation I need no more than 35ml of each scent throughout the year. 100ml is the max size I will go for in any scent now. I figure approx 3 years of use is just fine and then time to restock.

All interesting replies. Definitely true Stanmar, if I did the math, my collection would outlive me. But I generally buy my fragrances without even thinking "I have too many." I just like trying new things

Basenotes Junkie

double post. deleted.
    Last edited by 2ndBakeryAttack; 16th October 2012 at 08:15 PM.

well, when you've mentioned it, why do I need 50 ml of Joop! Homme? 30 ml is just about more than enough when it comes to this fragrance XD

Zino Davidoff - 75 ml, hardly ever worn, maybe 15 times thus far. Great classic but simply I lack the desire to wear it.

Karl Lagerfeld Classic - 30 ml, and 30 is indeed enough. Great classic but it's almost the same case as it is with my Zino.
    Last edited by Zgb; 16th October 2012 at 08:38 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

Yes, 80% of the time when I've purchased a big 3.4oz or 4.2oz bottle over small sizes, I've regretted it. Except for a few select favorites that I wear all the time, I prefer variety. It's hard to justify owning a big 3.4 oz bottle of something I rarely ever use. Even if the bigger bottle is a better value, I could have put that money towards another fragrance to expand the collection.