Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dependent

Default Davidoff Zino -- Love, and History

Davidoff Zino has really impressed me lately. I've been wearing the vintage occasionally for a period of about a year, and it's grown on me tremendously. I liked it at first, but over time I've come to realize this composition is truly outstanding. It's very old-school and I don't necessarily feel that its vanilla is a good representation of my personality, but the composition smells absolutely incredible to me. Very bold, yet smooth and balanced. Addictive, even.

Bigsly introduced me to this juice, and I'm forever thankful to him for that. Also, it's very appropriate, since he is obsessed with note separation and formulational cohesiveness. Zino is one of the most excellent examples I know of the whole being greater than the parts. One can definitely pick out the lemony bergamot, herbal lavender, woody rose, spiky patchouli, piney cedar, round sandalwood, mild vanilla, hazey musk and HUGE animalic civet, but the overall effect is certainly NOT a mish-mash, or "blob" as Bigs calls it. (The structure is really built around civet imo, which, along with the lavender and vanilla, ties it to the classic Jicky. That's what I mean by old-school.)

Also, I really enjoy how different facets come out on different wearings. Its performance is top-notch too. The transitions are so smooth and longlasting that I'm even considering getting a bottle of the new juice as an "abridged" version in case I don't have the time or stamina for the full 10-hour+ journey. (Supposedly the longevity of the new formulation is considerably shorter than the vintage.) If I had to sum up that journey in one word, it might be opulent. I can definitely see how this was meant to be worn while smoking fine cigars.

This is a thread for people to express their love and tell stories about this frag. I'm not at all surprised it's still in production, but I would especially love to hear from people who were around when Davidoff released this, their rookie fragrance, in the mid-1980s. Luca Turin does mention it as an aside in the A-Z Guide, but does not officially review it, which is a little surprising to me. (Davidoff was on fire then, obviously, releasing the completely different and forward-looking Cool Water just a couple years later, which is probably one of the top 10 men's frag sellers of all time.) What kind of impact did Zino make on the scene when it was released? What kind of guys wore it back then?
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 13th October 2012 at 05:06 AM.

Default Re: Davidoff Zino -- Love, and History

I don't recall Zino being a terribly huge hit when it came out. Certainly not like it's next release from Davidoff - Cool Water. I did buy a bottle back of Zino then and wore it a bit through High School. It is a truly fantastic scent.

I actually picked up another bottle recently after hearing it would be discontinued and I am not disappointed. Very classy stuff indeed.

I recently tried Allure Homme again, and I was thinking that despite their claims about several facets, it's a "blob." Vintage Zino to me is one of the greats.

I've only been recently introduced to this frag so I don't have much history nor stories about this frag but I adore it. My first memory of this was buying 20+ plus decants on-line and out of the lot this impressed me the most. That reminds me I really have to stock up on this!

A real classic IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    ......Luca Turin does mention it as an aside in the A-Z Guide, but does not officially review it, which is a little surprising to me.....
    MonkeyBars,

It was discontinued before they wrote the book. They didn't review discontinued fragrances (Yohji Homme was an exception). He likes Zino Davidoff a lot. He’s talked about it in interviews and he reviewed back in the nineties.

Zino Davidoff was made by two great perfumers Pierre Bourdon and Michel Almairac. There are few orientals as good. Easy to wear. Rich, complex, olfactory density and viscosity just right, and never heavy. Like many older designer fragrances it's considerably better than the majority of $200-$300 niches. All of the formulations are good. The older formulations are better: smoother, and without that faint plasticky aspect. Excellent fragrance. I'd much rather wear it than Heritage, which is also excellent, especially the vintage EDP.
    Last edited by pluran; 15th August 2014 at 11:23 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have the original release of Zino and treasure it. A Great!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    MonkeyBars,

It was discontinued before they wrote the book. They didn't review discontinued fragrances (Yohji Homme was an exception). He likes Zino. Reviewed it in the nineties.

Zino Davidoff
    was made by two great perfumers: Pierre Bourdon and Michel Almairac. Excellent fragrance. Few orientals as good. Like many older designer fragrances it's considerably better than the majority of $200-$300 niches. The last formulation before discontinuation is good. The older formulations are better.
    Thanks for reminding me plur. I did not know about Turin's review however! Where can I find that?

I appreciate the heads up on the noses. Had they much of a track record yet at the time of composition?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I recently tried Allure Homme again, and I was thinking that despite their claims about several facets, it's a "blob." Vintage Zino to me is one of the greats.
    great to see you changed your mind about this one ...
    I remember reading your original thoughts

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/210...avidoff-s-Zino

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    great to see you changed your mind about this one ...
    I remember reading your original thoughts

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/210...avidoff-s-Zino
    That was the reformulation and I haven't changed my mind about that one, I just didn't know about the reformulation until a year or so ago.

Thanks for reminding me plur. I did not know about Turin's review however! Where can I find that?

I appreciate the heads up on the noses. Had they much of a track record yet at the time of composition?
    Not sure where to find that review. Looking it up on Google isn't revealing it. So much other stuff came up once the book was published it seemed to push a lot of the other out. Turin used to write a lot of reviews long before The Guide.

Sure, by 1985 Pierre Bourdon had already made Kouros and Green Irish Tweed. He went on to make Cool Water, Live Jazz, Bois d'Orage, Feminite du Bois, Dolce Vita, Iris Poudre, Mark Birley for Men, Cologne a la Francaise, Kouros Fraicheur, many others. Bourdon studied under Jean Carles in the early 1970's. He's also probably the only real protege of Edmond Roudnitska.

Michel Almairac
    was just starting out. He went on to make things like Gucci Pour Homme (2003), Armani Prive Bois, dEncens, Rochas Lui, Gucci Rush Pour Femme, Gres Cabaret, Paloma Picasso Minotaure, L'Artisan Voleur de Roses, Chopard Casmir, Bond No. 9 Fire Island, others.
    Last edited by pluran; 13th October 2012 at 01:45 PM.

I had at least two "moments of love" or, if I may say so, two "bouts of love" for this scent: once when I first discovered it during the late 90s, when it was almost shunned by fragrance industry and almost banned to the bottom shelves of the retail surfaces, due to bigger sales and popularity of Cool Water and Good Life from the same fragrance house, and yet another special moment around late 2006, when, after gradual years of oblivion, I rediscovered this scent and, after repeated testings/samplings found out it still smells equally great.

However, outside of these two "fragrant turning points", my almost unending fascination for this scent never ceased and it is currently on my "resolutions list" to purchase this one.

I love this fragrance as well. But I cannot find any noticible difference between vintage and the last formula To be sure, I wore a vintage bottle yesterday as my SotD and didn't think it was any different than the latest one.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentr D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I love this fragrance as well. But I cannot find any noticible difference between vintage and the last formula To be sure, I wore a vintage bottle yesterday as my SotD and didn't think it was any different than the latest one.
    Same here. Minimal if any difference. Seems like everytime there's a Zino topic the reformulation theory takes over the discussion.

Dependent

Thanks for the history lesson pluran! I'm not surprised this one was made by highly pedigreed perfumers. It's very carefully formulated.

- - - Updated - - -

Spritzed it about an hour ago and this time I'm really getting that clary sage! Clary sage can be challenging for some folks, with its vegetal-sweaty facet. I think this in combination with the civet is responsible for the "rotting vegetables" comments, not that I get that per se. Love it.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 13th October 2012 at 09:44 PM.

And the longevity is still good/equal in the "reformulated" version?

I love it. Great fragrance, still quite unique as well.

He calls Zino 'great'. It's mentioned in the Guerlain Heritage review in the guide.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by alexwagner View Post
    He calls Zino 'great'. It's mentioned in the Guerlain Heritage review in the guide.
    I recall he also considers it to be among the most masculine and "square-jawed" frags as well.

I love it--Heritage, Zino and Bois du Portugal--all you really need!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    I love it--Heritage, Zino and Bois du Portugal--all you really need!
    I recently tried BdP and found it more like PdN New York, but with the balance all out of wack. I didn't really like it at all actually. Heritage also did not make an impact on me.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

My story is one of newbie hubris.

I live near/(in) a South Florida beach resort area and figured, in 2006, I just knew I could find a bottle of vitage Zino in one of the beach sundry or pharmacy stores dotting the coastal towns, the little mom and pop type of store. I searched all the local ones still open at that time with no success. Had I then been a more knowledgeable Basenoter I might have noticed another gem or two available instead of Zino, but I was focused entirely on finding Zino. I even stopped, on a trip across Florida from Palm Beach to Naples, one I added well over an hour travel time to by checking, via the small cross-Florida road that tops Lake Okeechobee, at least a dozen small mom and pop pharmacy and sundry stores in places like Indiantown, FL with no better luck.

I finally gave up my real-time search and located a couple of bottles to add to my wardrobe online and from Basenotes some time later. Well worth all the fuss, Zino is a classic in my opinion.
    Last edited by kbe; 14th October 2012 at 03:37 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I live near/(in) a South Florida beach resort area and figured, in 2006, I just knew I could find a bottle of vitage Zino in one of the beach sundry or pharmacy stores dotting the coastal towns, the little mom and pop type of store. I searched all the local ones still open at that time with no success. Had I then been a more knowledgeable Basenoter I might have noticed another gem or two available instead of Zino, but I was focused entirely on finding Zino. I even stopped, on a trip across Florida from Palm Beach to Naples, one I added well over an hour travel time to by checking, via the small cross-Florida road that tops Lake Okeechobee, at least a dozen small mom and pop pharmacy and sundry stores in places like Indiantown, FL with no better luck.
    Thanks for your report. This one is worth all that fuss. Even to this day the vintage is not all that hard to find. I found 2 bottles here in LA earlier this year -- a 75ml and a 125ml! Those and the ounce decant I got from Bigs should last me a while.

Wonderful fragrance. Back in the 80/90's it used to be a more mature fragrance, something your dad would have worn, not very popular in Europe and even less in UK. By that time I remember that Relax was possibly more popular.
    However, Zino and Relax are possibly the classiest fragrances Davidoff ever produced. Nothing to do with the recent tacky Champion dumbells. O tempora, o mores!
    l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

One of the few...Was 'love at first sniff to far dry down' for me. Still one of my signature frags of all-times. That good it is...
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day"..... I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Fall: | Gucci PH | Cacharel Nemo |
    YSL M7 | LAP L'Eau du Navigateur | Guerlain Heritage | YSL M7 OA | T.Mugler Pure Havane | Terre d'Hermes | Armani Attitude | T.Mugler B*Men | Lancome Miracle Homme | T.Mugler Pure Wood |

Quote Originally Posted by voidvader View Post
    And the longevity is still good/equal in the "reformulated" version?
    I certainly feel it is.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentr D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Love at first sniff. My favorite.

So this thread has convinced me to blind buy zino, feel free to pm me to see if I want to part with it after i buy it, not for free of course

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyPepper View Post
    So this thread has convinced me to blind buy zino, feel free to pm me to see if I want to part with it after i buy it, not for free of course
    Good luck ! I love it, but just be sure to expect a "dirty" element here.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Ah, Zino, one of my least worn frags. I appreciate it and accept it as a great classic, however it never comes to me that I actually want to wear it and yet I'm not thinking about getting rid of it all.

I'm really trying to understand what the difference is between vintage and reformulated, I checked a couple places and they all say its the same formulation

I wanna try this one too.

I've been in the fragrance game for a year now, and I've just realized I've barely even glazed the surface lol
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyPepper View Post
    I'm really trying to understand what the difference is between vintage and reformulated, I checked a couple places and they all say its the same formulation
    Please see my post on the other Zino thread.

Will you consider Zino as a "powerhouse" like Antaeus, Oscar de la renta Pour Lui etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Will you consider Zino as a "powerhouse" like Antaeus, Oscar de la renta Pour Lui etc?
    Yes, Zino is a powerhouse.

I recently acquired a couple of samples from purchases at either Fragrancenet or Beautyencounter. To be honest, I had dismissed Zino after taking a quick smell from the testers. Then one day I decided I would give it the benefit of a full wear. I was totally surprised at how much I enjoyed it! It's one of those 80s powerhouses that reminds me of my grandfather in a good way. If I come across a full bottle for a good price, I would consider getting it.

That's funny that this thread gets brought up today. I haven't worn Zino since early summer and it was my SOTD. Now I remember why I really like this stuff. Good luck with this scent!

A good review from the OP with some insight - Zino is one of my 6 winter rotation frags, it's my wife's favourite on me. I've always liked it as well.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

One of the greats. I've smelled most good niches of the same style and like none of them as well as Zino Davidoff (preferably vintage).

I love every bit of Zino but the initial blast of notes. It starts off as a train wreck to my nose, then it falls into line like an orchestra near the middle notes and it's a long-lasting scent so I get to enjoy the better parts for my entire day.

I've recently made a swap deal with a BN member on Zino, and I'm very excited to try it!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Wearing the new formulation at the moment. To be honest i cannot really tell the difference between this and the older ones i have owned. I am currently enveloped in this beautiful spicy, tobacco-laden aura. Zino is one fantastic frag.

Another frag that Zino strongly reminds me of is Fragonard's Santal (aluminium can)

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Wearing the new formulation at the moment. To be honest i cannot really tell the difference between this and the older ones i have owned. I am currently enveloped in this beautiful spicy, tobacco-laden aura. Zino is one fantastic frag.

Another frag that Zino strongly reminds me of is Fragonard's Santal (aluminium can)
    Therefor you must do a side by side otherwise it's only your memory that 'fools' u a bit............I was also surpised after receiving vintage how much different it smelled from the block font formulation but mainly after doing a side by side. Like some notes are added/removed in both formulations.
    They are pretty different to say the least (eg. original has way more patchouli and a better sandalwood and the current is way more vanillaish and powdery) and the original also lasts all day while newer version is 3 hrs tops on me.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Therefor you must do a side by side otherwise it's only your memory that 'fools' u a bit...
    Quite likely, i admit. I have an almost-empty bottle from the 90s at the family home in another city. Will get to the side-by-side eventually.

#BBOG!

Received my bottle today, and to my surprise Zino smells almost exactly similar as Bois 1920 Extreeme!

I need to sample this scent.

I like Zino and it's very inexpensive.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I own three bottles of Zino, all vintage, one a splash. I agree that it is (was) an incredible bargain and has a unique blending of a conglomerate of notes.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I own three bottles of Zino, all vintage, one a splash. I agree that it is (was) an incredible bargain and has a unique blending of a conglomerate of notes.
    I have not tried the vintage. Is it very reformulated?

I have not tried the vintage. Is it very reformulated?
    The vintage and the current formulation are pretty much the same.
    Only the longevity of the current formulation is not up to par with the vintage.
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggy1 View Post
    Only the longevity of the current formulation is not up to par with the vintage.
    Ok. Good to know.

Someone know if Zino is discontinued? I can't see it on their home-page.

I recall its popularity when it first came out and how brick and mortar stores were promoting it. It has withstood the test of time. (1589)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Someone know if Zino is discontinued? I can't see it on their home-page.
    There is still plenty of Zino for sale on Ebay. Even saw the vintage version for +/- "cheap".
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

There is still plenty of Zino for sale on Ebay. Even saw the vintage version for +/- "cheap".
    Yes, and it's still available at several on-line stores, but I wonder if Davidoff has stopped the production?

Odd that a lot of reviews highlight the Patchouli. I have the more recent formulation of Zino and it is spot on like Guerlain Heritage EDT with most of the Patch note taken out.

There is also a note in it, which I've always associated with Jasmine because its like Flowers by The White Company, that puts me off it. I don't get anything I'd link with Rose.

This would make a great fragrance choice for Christmas Eve. Especially the rich, deep vintage Zino.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Very nice news! One of few times I hear good things after reformulations!
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

To me they are not (see post #44)
    If you do a side by side comparison you will notice many differences imo!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)