Code of Conduct

Question The LIGHTER side of SPICE?

Hey everyone,
    I'm looking to round out my wardrobe a bit more, but can't quite find the right fragrances. I'm looking for more casual/office fragrances that aren't so bold and spicy yet not too sweet either. I'd also like fairly good projection and longevity, as they seem to be a problem for me in general.

A good example of what I'm looking for would be Bulgari Aqua pour Homme. It's light and aquatic, but still bold and spicy as well. Here are some others I really enjoy to give you a better starting point:
    John Varvatos Vintage
    John Varvatos Signature
    Burberry Brit

Some are just TOO sweet for me, like Givenchy Pi and JPG's Le Male. Nothing Powdery please!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    I'm not obsessed, I'm passionately intrigued. The difference is how much money I have available to spend!

Default Re: The LIGHTER side of SPICE?

Carbone de Balmain

Thanks for the suggestion. I undnerstand it's close to Givenchy's Play Intense?

Also thinking to add Creed Millesime Imperial to my "really enjoy" list! Any suggestions in that direction?
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    I'm not obsessed, I'm passionately intrigued. The difference is how much money I have available to spend!

I get definitely suggestions of "the lighter side of spice", as well as suitability for office wear, from modern niche scents Opus 1870 by Penhaligons.

Sound Scents

Try out Bellagio for Men. A dirt cheap light herbal fresh scent that smells great, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Great suggestions, thanks!

Royal Oud

OK, I'm now aware of how NEW I am... I've read what I could find on the suggestions above; but, they are pretty hard to find. I've checked on fragrancenet, luckyscent and just plain old google searches and have YET to find all 3 at the same site (as a matter of fact, I'm having a hard time finding TWO at the same site!). Is there a specific place any of you use to get samples of niche or otherwise not-common frags such as the ones suggested here?

Try Costume National Homme (2009) by Dominique Ropion.

One of the most interesting designer releases in a while from one of the most creative perfumers working today. Has a citrus / clove touch up front that settles into a very satisfying ride.

D&G The One might fall under what you are looking for.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
    OK, I'm now aware of how NEW I am... I've read what I could find on the suggestions above; but, they are pretty hard to find. I've checked on fragrancenet, luckyscent and just plain old google searches and have YET to find all 3 at the same site (as a matter of fact, I'm having a hard time finding TWO at the same site!). Is there a specific place any of you use to get samples of niche or otherwise not-common frags such as the ones suggested here?
    In the case of something like Bellagio for Men, I doubt samples exist as a 100ml bottle tends to only cost $15 or so online at places like Amazon and other discounters (it really is not worth creating samples for something selling at that kind of price). With respect to some of the niche selections offered, if you can't find them at LuckyScent or a local high-end department store, you can always try eBay...
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Try Costume National Homme (2009) by Dominique Ropion.

One of the most interesting designer releases in a while from one of the most creative perfumers working today. Has a citrus / clove touch up front that settles into a very satisfying ride.
    +1 for this - picked up a bottle a few weeks ago and like it very much
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

Found costume national and Opus 1870 on luckyscent, ordered samples of them! Also blind ordered two samples of L'artisan frags while I was there.

MikeJ, good suggestion. Right in track! I bought the One as a blind buy, wasn't excited about it at first; but it's growing on me. I just wish the longevity was a bit better...

Basenotes Member

The One Sport is a nice aquatic with woods and spice but doesn't project very well.

BriGuy, I carry a decant whenever I wear it. It actually lasts the entire day on me, but will stop projecting soon after it is applied
    I would skip out on sport, of the 3 "The One's" I think it's the worst, but YMMV.

This brings up another question: How often do you refresh, especially if it lasts on you without projection (I can't assume you refresh every hour to keep the projection up)?

Sound Scents

Depends completely on the scent... For example, a extremely potent scent like the truly excellent Costume National Homme you are getting a sample of lasts all day easily. Something light like the Bellagio could be topped up every 4 hours or so if you are looking for maximum projection.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

This brings up another question: How often do you refresh, especially if it lasts on you without projection (I can't assume you refresh every hour to keep the projection up)?
    As drseid said, it depends on the fragrance. With The One, every 4 hours I spray one on the neck. With fragrances like La Nuit, I may spray it after 8 hours, assuming I am still out.

Odin no.7

for swap/sale:

Banned

Get:

L'Essence de Cerruti by Cerruti
    - One is initially treated to an invigorating bergamot, with its orangey bittersweetness and peppery facets. The freshness of the bergamot commingles with the compost-like and ever-so-slight barnyard aspects of white pepper. Segueing to the middle, the mintiness of birch encases the fresh opening, and infuses its wintergreen sweetness. A raw and somewhat phenolic leather wafts in the background along with the hay-like character of saffron. Transitioning to the comforting base, a creamy cedar infuses its resinous and camphoraceous woodiness, along with the sweetly vanillic and faintly earthy quality of amber. A sensual, fur/skin-like and warm musk also presents. An alluring drydown ensues. This masculine composition is well blended, and has good longevity, 8+ hours, and average projection, being light enough for an office scent. Given its very reasonable, price point, this versatile and somewhat elegant composition is worthy of purchase.

Somewhat aquatic but bold and spicy. That kind of makes me think of Mugler's Ice Men. You get a nutmeg/menthol, iced coffee, aquatic vibe up top with a masculine patchouli drydown. It's not sweet in the base like the mineral amber note in Aqva, but it kind of gives me a similar vibe.

I'll look into those as well... they all sound really interesting!

Spicebomb. DG the one. Opium PH.

Ortigia Sicilia-Ambre Nera Its a light but spicy amber. Its a very unusual combo I know but its that good. Brought to you from L. Villoresi. Nicely designed bottle and very reasonable prices.
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Found costume national and Opus 1870 on luckyscent, ordered samples of them! Also blind ordered two samples of L'artisan frags while I was there.

MikeJ, good suggestion. Right in track! I bought the One as a blind buy, wasn't excited about it at first; but it's growing on me. I just wish the longevity was a bit better...
    L 'Artisan is a good house to try from, but a bit pricey. But if you like try Traversée du Bosphore from there.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!