Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default M7--Much Better Than Expected

I've owned M7 Fresh, I wasn't crazy about it. I had received a crappily assembled sample of M7 original from an online retailer, and could only get about 3 weak spritzes out of it, and wasn't impressed by that either.

But recently I was able to get a 100ml tester for a good price ($55), with the idea I'd sell it down the road. But I decided to use it instead, after reading so many interesting things about it, and thinking maybe I hadn't experienced its true essence. But I was skeptical.

Well, I'm not skeptical anymore. This is fantastic juice. The amber/musky dry down is phenomenal, and counterbalanced perfectly by the woody oud note. And if I breathe on my skin hours later, I can resurrect the addictive opening--that famous cherry cough syrup accord (really, it's so much nicer than cherry cough syrup).

I was expecting something loud, somewhat abrasive, and powerhousey. But once it settles in, M7 stays fairly close to the skin. Don't get me wrong--it creates a nice scent cloud--but keeps it soft, welcoming, rather than aggressive or intrusive.

For some reason I had this one pegged completely wrong. I think M7 could work very well as an every day kind of scent, maybe not suited for work, per se, but for a casual afternoon or social outing.

Any fans of M7 here?

Do any of you wear it frequently?

Signature scent?

Default Re: M7--Much Better Than Expected

Do you have the original, fully brown glass bottle? I love it - the crazy cherry medicinal opening, and the smooth ambery oud base. Superb. I hunt down every bottle I can find and squirrel it away. The reformulation with the clear glass bottle is OK, but seems watered down and with a paler opening. The Oud absolut version has no opening, it's all about the base, which is similar.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i'm not a big fan of m7 fresh either.

when i first sampled m7 (the original), i immediately knew it was a lot different from your average fragrance.

it took me some time, but m7 grew on me and i love it.

sure, my mood changes from day to day. some days m7 gives me a headache, but other days M7 is sweet magical potent juice of heaven.

M7 is much better scent than M7 Fresh which is just average to my nose. Personally after many reviews I was expecting M7 to be less wearable and more strange but even if it is unique it is not that hard to wear. I wear it to work sometime and its doing well. I am not huge fan of cough syrup opening but drydown is great. Its no doubt best YSL and one of best designer scents for men.
    Current TOP 7 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense
    6. Timbuktu
    7. Dior Homme

I treasure my bottle. I don't have vintage though I have the first reformulation. I've always been intrested in M7 Fresh though because of what Burr said about it.

But Gucci had invested so much in the brand (the name stands for YSL's 7th masculine scent) that they had Morillas and Cavallier do a flanker, and: the boys score. Not to confuse, but I should say that I would not wear M7 Fresh, and for a very simple reason: I'm not a smoke guy, at least not yet. But this is not about my personal preferences. It is a simple acknowledgement that the two have created a smoke that has none of the radioactive fallout of its father while sporting all the aesthetic punch. This is the most enticing smoke, a well-designed smoke, hipster without its hipsterness being at all rebarbative, dark enough for a bar yet light enough for snowboarding, pro-active and relaxed at the same time. Where the Costes hotel's smoke is a model with an attitude, M7 Fresh is a nice waiter with a great haircut and a sexy smile. He's so cool, you just want to take the guy home.
    That's only one opinion of course but it got me intrigued. Turin also loved M7 Fresh if I recall giving it 4 stars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    This is fantastic juice. The amber/musky dry down is phenomenal, and counterbalanced perfectly by the woody oud note. And if I breathe on my skin hours later, I can resurrect the addictive opening--that famous cherry cough syrup accord (really, it's so much nicer than cherry cough syrup).

I was expecting something loud, somewhat abrasive, and powerhousey. But once it settles in, M7 stays fairly close to the skin. Don't get me wrong--it creates a nice scent cloud--but keeps it soft, welcoming, rather than aggressive or intrusive.
    nothing more to say,!!

my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Post Thanks / Like

It's OK. I like it when I first put it on, but the burnt marshmallow note at the bottom doesn't really please me.

But I must be from another planet because I never seem to like the fragrances that the prevailing voices on here like. Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

Really love m7 the best ever.

M7 is one of the best ever
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Post Thanks / Like

The original vintage M7 is magical, special juice. I will find some soon.

A very nice scent

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great fragrance, love it. I'm happy I have the vintage bottle plus a couple of backup bottles.

Post Thanks / Like

I like it, too. Just can't use much of it. Strong stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unifex View Post
    Do you have the original, fully brown glass bottle?
    I don't know. I don't think so. It's a tester, the front is brown but the rest is clear. It's probably the 2nd formulation...I'll have to check the batch code and see when it was released.

This makes me even more interested in tracking down the vintage.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a vintage bottle and its spritzer sprays a lot. So, I just do 1/2 sprays on both sides of my neck, and it lasts and projects all day at my work at the office through the night (16+ hours) on my skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely my favorite fragrance I have right now. I have two bottles of the vintage and it's spectacular! Always challenging and interesting to my nose, yet warm and inviting at the same time.

I just wish I could come up with a better way to describe what others call the "cherry cough syrup" note... it isn't really cherry cough syrup, but I haven't come up with something better to describe it.
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

Post Thanks / Like

I love it and wear it every so often.

I heard so much about it when I first started here. However, I honestly think it's a tad too mature for someone my age (20).

Post Thanks / Like

I adore this fragrance as well. Made back in the days when YSL created quality fragrances and not abysmal "cologne".....fragrances like L'homme should be between the Gillete deoderant and Aqua Velqua in grocery stores.

I never have been able to enjoy M7 Fresh, despite multiple attempts. I like to sniff my decant nozzle, but wearing it on skin ends up annoying me. I just feel it is high pitched and irritates me. I am not sure if high pitched is the correct term...maybe medicinal.

Back to M7, I love the second formulation ! I like the original, but the second formula is great and makes me feel like I am on another fragrant planet
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I adore this fragrance as well. Made back in the days when YSL created quality fragrances and not abysmal "cologne".....fragrances like L'homme should be between the Gillete deoderant and Aqua Velqua in grocery stores.

I never have been able to enjoy M7 Fresh, despite multiple attempts. I like to sniff my decant nozzle, but wearing it on skin ends up annoying me. I just feel it is high pitched and irritates me. I am not sure if high pitched is the correct term...maybe medicinal.

Back to M7, I love the second formulation ! I like the original, but the second formula is great and makes me feel like I am on another fragrant planet

Yeah, it's so...different. It's kind of like Fahrenheit in that sense, that it occupies its own space. But I prefer it to Fahrenheit.

M7 Fresh is all over the place. Not that its construction is poor, but it doesn't really have much of an identity, or a cohesive personality. It's just a smell.

Post Thanks / Like

I like M7 a lot - I was fortunate to find a 100ml all-brown bottle on eBay for a reasonable price recently.
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Of the best top ten fragrances on the planet, easily.

Modern, sexy, unique, perfectly blended and executed. Glad you're enjoying your bottle! I absolutely love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn... I had a chance to get a vintage bottle and I was on the fence about it. This thread is helping me make up my mind.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Noir De Noir
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Bois D'Argent
    5. Aoud 1
    6. Aventus
    7. Ore
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Ambre 114

Post Thanks / Like

I wore my official sample of the reformulated version to work today, and it's not as smooth (notes are a little bit sharp) and doesn't project as much compared to my vintage M7.
    Last edited by NewHaarlem; 18th October 2012 at 07:22 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    I wore my official sample of the 2nd reformulated version to work today
    What version is that? Oud Absolu? Definitely sharper -- it's got far less amber than M7. It's not a reformulation though imo, but a flanker.

Post Thanks / Like

I love M7 and M7 fresh glad I found out about them and got to enjoy them before they dissappeared.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

I've got the same reformulation as the OP (where it's in the same shaped bottle, but only one of the sides is coloured amber) and I've always been pretty unimpressed with it. I've owned it for over 9 months and have maybe worn it half a dozen times.

I detect very little aoud in there, and the opening hour or so really turns me off. I blind bought it at the same time I bought Encre Noire, so M7 was always going to finish second.
    M7 has gained a little favour over time, but only to go from a 'dislike' to an 'indifferent'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    What version is that? Oud Absolu? Definitely sharper -- it's got far less amber than M7. It's not a reformulation though imo, but a flanker.
    Sorry, I meant the reformulated version, which is supposed to be the bottle with brown front, clear sides and back.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear M7 to bed every night. lol

- - - Updated - - -

I wear M7 to bed every night. lol

Post Thanks / Like

the newer bottle with the clear sides has far less cough syrup, and still has every bit of the sweet benzoin and incense drydown, but is missing a dirty/black/bitter accord in the vintage. I know for a fact the vintage used real Mandrake root, and that might be it, coupled with a smidgeon of real oud or Shamantuul amber. i heard a BN'er once refer to the vintage as "smelling almost Poisonous" lol. Oud Absolu is even less cough syrup and I'm surprised it wasn't recieved better.

LMAO Nice sig nersh