Code of Conduct

Default Fashion Frustration!

Hi guys,

Basically, I earn a semi-decent wage, and I can afford to shop, but every time I do I never feel completely satisfied as there's always something more out there. I find it so frustrating that styles change every few weeks and I feel myself feeling the need to keep up with them. But as a worrier about the future etc, I feel I should be saving. It's all a false need I know, but I want to know if anyone else feels the same, or if anyone knows how to overcome it?

I literally always find myself wanting what everyone else is wearing. I know it's ridiculous and that I actually sound incredibly selfish, but I genuinely can't help seeing what other girls are wearing whether it be in town, on TV, or online, and thinking that I need it! I then can't concentrate on much until I have that perfect outfit I saw, but not long later, there's another perfect outfit to get!

And, friends don't help when they buy a new dress for each night out. Is this a necessity? Am I unfashionable for wearing the same outfit twice?!

Maybe its a comparison thing and I feel that I have to keep up with others in order to be "happy." But I don't know. Hence why I'm here.

Will we ever feel we have enough!?

Default Re: Fashion Frustration!

I feel the same way sometimes, however my style is set. I have always prefer a more refined, yet fun style. While most of my male friends go out in their frat jackets, I will usually be wearing a semi-formal wool coat. Since I know what I like, I am generally not tempted by the new fads, especially since I think half of them are atrocious.

You have been influenced by your peers and advertising. That's how the industy "gets you".

If you want to be constantly changing your wardrobe, shop at affordable places such as H&M or Forever 21. The quality isn't always the best, but if you're rotating through clothing within a couple of years, you're fine.

I'm no expert on fashion, but there are lots of fashion blogs that give advice on "statement pieces" to keep in your wardrobe that are multifunctional. There are also lots of resale shops for clothing that you can find for decent prices and sell your old stuff to.

Most of the time I am in scrubs for work, so I haven't bought new clothes in at least 6 months aside from a dress here and there for weddings and nights out.

I have started to follow less the trends and follow the basics- yes, the main risk is to look rather unspectacular, but then again e.g., a polo shirt or a two or three piece male suit in a neutral color will never go out of fashion.

I earn semi-decent too, though project-based, thus I try to combine the few fashionable spots in my town with the heavy discounters in the industry and create a versatile, easily adaptable, rather no-nonsense and clean-cut style.

This is my own way to, if not "deal with", then at least "cut losses" with my own experiences of (at least close to) fashion frustration.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 14th October 2012 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayven View Post
    You have been influenced by your peers and advertising. That's how the industy "gets you".

If you want to be constantly changing your wardrobe, shop at affordable places such as H&M or Forever 21. The quality isn't always the best, but if you're rotating through clothing within a couple of years, you're fine.
    That is absolutely true as well. I can not tell you how many jackets I have purchased from Express and Macy's, that I have also seen at 1/5 the price at H&M.

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Will we ever feel we have enough!?
    Only when 'we' discover what is driving this anxiety.

Banned

Fashion is most likely the bane of everyone.

Just try to limit yourself, and think whether a particular article would be fashionable in a year's time, thereby, possibly, avoiding trendy pieces. And, before purchasing, think about whether something truly complements your existing wardrobe, and is not redundant.

&

I don't even own a dress anymore. When I was younger my closets were stuffed with beautiful clothes, but I don't like the clothes available to buy anymore. Most of them look like hooker clothes to me, or just don't feel appropriate for me at my age, not that I want to dress like a frump. I want to dress in long Edwardian skirts and boots, lol! I love beautiful fabrics and cuts from bygone eras. I have to force myself to clothes shop now. Everything is cheap cr@pola and I don't like the way it looks or fits. I think to buy nice clothes now you have to spend a LOT of money. Which I don't have. I just wear very casual clothes. I have a few nicer things in case I have to go to a wedding or funeral or something. I'm depressing myself.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I don't even own a dress anymore. When I was younger my closets were stuffed with beautiful clothes, but I don't like the clothes available to buy anymore. Most of them look like hooker clothes to me, or just don't feel appropriate for me at my age, not that I want to dress like a frump. I want to dress in long Edwardian skirts and boots, lol! I love beautiful fabrics and cuts from bygone eras. I have to force myself to clothes shop now. Everything is cheap cr@pola and I don't like the way it looks or fits. I think to buy nice clothes now you have to spend a LOT of money. Which I don't have. I just wear very casual clothes. I have a few nicer things in case I have to go to a wedding or funeral or something. I'm depressing myself.
    Probably most have considered this anyway, but it's been the only way I can find to affordably enjoy expressive, unique clothing short of sewing and designing it yourself ... What about high-end resale, charity boutiques and all of that? Some people have problems with wearing secondhand, but I do it just because, like you, I don't like what's on offer in normal stores for the most part. I use the money saved to dry clean the secondhand clothes. All the hunting can be too much trouble of course. But to plan a style and stick to it, fashion and money can't keep one from looking good. And worrying about not having something new to wear everyday? People have way too many clothes and rarely wear most of them. Really excellent jacket, well-tailored basics, good versatile shoes, and then ever-changing interesting accessories work well.

I spent my very young years working in fashion--not high up of course but very immersed, and oh what a bunch of junk that field is (doubt this is news to anyone). Talk about even more blatant ad lies, recycling of ideas, and sad planned irrelevancies than the designer perfume industry. Style and design are such a pleasure though. Don't let fashion get in the way! Bright silk scarves, costume jewelry, one of a kind purses secondhand. These things make me not worry about throwing the same dress on whenever, even though, sadly, I do have closets and closets of crazy stuff. The people who look the best seem to not take things too seriously, add something unexpected (except for the professionals who get free couture sent to them and stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Only when 'we' discover what is driving this anxiety.
    True.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I always do a great deal of research before purchasing most things. This way I find that I can purchase better quality shoes, jackets, bags, etc. Don't buy on impulse. You will almost always over spend and feel frustrated afterwards.

Focus on improving other, once may argue more important, aspects of your life. The fashion industry is exploiting your need to overcome the human feeling of aloneness but the little carrot they hold in front of your nose will always move away and/or only satisfy temporarily.