Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 'I only use 1 or 2 sprays.....' Huh??

Do some guys really only use 1 or 2 sprays even for strong scents???
    I have terrible 'fragrance skin', where some scents just never last (like Musc Ravageur) but i use 4 sprays of Tobacco Vanille alone on my neck.

I spray liberally, for the lighter scents i spray like my sister at times, everywhere! on my face even! (yes i know)

anyone else not with this 'one or two sprays is all you need' talk? i use a 4 spray minimum on ALL of my fragrances

Default Re: 'I only use 1 or 2 sprays.....' Huh??

I am with you on this one.
    Most of the time I will do 4 sprays. 2 to the chest and 2 to the neck.
    I have seen friends of mine do 6 to 8 sprays just to the neck even with something like Obsession.
    That is a bit much though.

I've gone from 2-3 for most scents, down to 1 on the chest under my shirt, for nearly everything. I can still smell it and so can everyone else.

I do three sprays usually. One to the chest, one to the back of the neck, and one in the air that I walk through after I am dressed.

If it is a weaker scent, I will spray a fourth to my wrist.

Good to go!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Huh??! indeed!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

i usually go 8 north east south west for the neck 2 to the chest and 2 to the wrists
    Current top 5

1 spiriteuse double vanille
    2 musc ravageur
    3 versace dreamer
    4 chanel allure
    5 new haarlem

At the office, I usually do 2-3 sprays. 1 to the neck and 1-2 to the chest. If I am going out to run some errands I will do 4 sprays, 1 to the front of the neck, 1 to the back of the neck and 2 to the chest. If I am going to a bar/club, I can go as high as six sprays with the same spraying as the 4 sprays but the last two will be on my clothes.

I don't think I've ever done more than three. I may have learned moderation by wearing nothing but Joop! Homme for years and years. More than three sprays of that would have melted plastic and killed all plant life in the area.

Maybe i just have the worst skin ever, but anything under 3 sprays and I cant smell a thing....

For me 3 seems to be the magic number.

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    I have terrible 'fragrance skin', where some scents just never last (like Musc Ravageur) but i use 4 sprays of Tobacco Vanille alone on my neck.

I spray liberally, for the lighter scents i spray like my sister at times, everywhere! on my face even! (yes i know)

anyone else not with this 'one or two sprays is all you need' talk? i use a 4 spray minimum on ALL of my fragrances
    I'm with you on this brother. I don't have anything where 1 or 2 or 3 sprays will suffice.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me 3 seems to be the magic number.
    Same for me no more than 3. Though potent scents like Tobacco Vanille only one.

I prefer to not smell like hooker so I usually go with 1 or 2 sprays on strong scents and 3-5 on light scents.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Maybe i just have the worst skin ever, but anything under 3 sprays and I cant smell a thing....
    Don't blame your skin - blame your nose!

I'm a heavy sprayer, too. 4 is the absolute
    minimum, nomatter which frag.

I think it isn't that it is weak, but in overspraying you are becoming asonomic to it.

I used to use more, but less than 3 is usually plenty, and people comment often enough that I know they can smell it.

Although it seems weird, I can smell it on myself easier if I use less.

Chest application seems to be the difference. I learned to do that here, and I think your core body temp here just seems to radiate scent from there the most easily. I used one spray of Montale Wild Aoud Saturday morning before heading to an all day rehearsal for a recording project, and as I got warm in the evening I could smell it filling up the space almost like I had bathed in it.

Seriously, give it a try. 1-2 sprays to your chest and wear it all day and tell me I'm wrong.

That being said, there are some scents that can change for the better when you overspray.....for me Tom Ford for Men is one.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

with burberry london i go up towards 10 sometimes including spraying on clothes, that one lasts worst than a flea market knock off on my skin

4 Is the absolute minimum for me too. Tobacco Vanille is the only exception, and I do have fragrances that are considered stronger.

Summer (lighter) fragrances: 5-8 sprays

Winter (stronger) fragrances: 5 sprays
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I prefer to not smell like hooker so I usually go with 1 or 2 sprays on strong scents and 3-5 on light scents.
    I hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Summer (lighter) fragrances: 5-8 sprays

Winter (stronger) fragrances: 5 sprays
    Thats what im talking about!

Here here!!! I think every scent that has supposedly "weak" longevity for most people, lasts an entire day on me but with a very liberal application. True, you'll probably get olfactory fatigue for the first half hour, but then you'll smell it all day long. I've come to avoid the neck at all costs, except when applying attars, oils and potent parfums.
    I also apply a lot and there are exceptions (VERY few) that get a minimum of four or five sprays....or six, or...

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Here here!!! I think every scent that has supposedly "weak" longevity for most people, lasts an entire day on me but with a very liberal application. True, you'll probably get olfactory fatigue for the first half hour, but then you'll smell it all day long. I've come to avoid the neck at all costs, except when applying attars, oils and potent parfums.
    I also apply a lot and there are exceptions (VERY few) that get a minimum of four or five sprays....or six, or...
    HAHA! im so glad it isnt just me!

My skin retains and projects fragrance well, so I rarely spray more than 3 times. Always 2 to the chest, one more for the wrists if a want extra sillage.

I am in favor of subtlety, and under no circumstances do I want someone more than 3 feet away smelling me.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post

I am in favor of subtlety, and under no circumstances do I want someone more than 3 feet away smelling me.
    This.

Might not be a popular opinion, but at least in the states, drenching yourself in scent is exactly what leads to things like the Portland ban.

I've often wondered if "skin not holding scent" is more a function of body temperature? I project scent quite well, and I'm a fat bastard and warm natured in general. I wonder if my skin radiates more warmth, heating the oils?
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

One full spray is usually all I need, two is almost always a max. The "trick," for me, is to avoid the top notes as much as possible. Then the base notes seem a lot stronger. I also seem to have good skin chemistry for scent retention.

The first spritz for me is usually kind of half a spray because the juice isn't up in the sprayer yet, is that normal? I have a million samples so I don't use my bottles every day.

Anyway, 3 or 4 is pretty much the maximum for me, more than that is too much for my nose and I can get tired of even my favorite scents. Chest, side of neck under the ear (one or maybe both sides), and outside of my wrist (the one without a watch) because I don't want to scent the mousepad at work.

Also curious, why not the neck? TIA

2 sprays for Tuscan Leather and Absolue Pour le Soir. Evything else get 3 or 4. 2 to the chest and 2 to the neck.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Yes, I often do 1.5 because the first is at best half a full spray.

Quote Originally Posted by jzzbassman View Post
    I've often wondered if "skin not holding scent" is more a function of body temperature? I project scent quite well, and I'm a fat bastard and warm natured in general. I wonder if my skin radiates more warmth, heating the oils?
    I think a lot of it has to do with olfactory fatigue, someone stops noticing their own frag and assumes it's a skin or "body chemistry" problem, when people around them are getting the scent loud and clear.

---
    Last edited by monsieur_sparkle; 24th February 2011 at 04:39 AM. Reason: double post

i was doing 12 to 14 sprays of Platinum Egoiste to the chest and 8 sprays to the neck last summer
    -AVENTUS-

Usually 3 sprays, 1 behind each ear, 1 one the chest, though I have serious problem spraying less than 10-15 times with very light scent (Eau d'Orange Verte, Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert, Bigarade), I'd rather spray a lot once and re-apply by mid afternoon than having to refresh every 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBee456 View Post
    i was doing 12 to 14 sprays of Platinum Egoiste to the chest and 8 sprays to the neck last summer
    Please tell me you're joking. Do you live in Portland? Just kidding! I'm usually good with two to the chest and one on each side of the neck. If it's a stronger fragrance (i.e. Black Aoud or Duro) I'll go one to the chest and one on the neck.
    Last edited by acjigga; 22nd February 2011 at 09:51 PM.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears." - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois EDP, Chanel Egoiste Platinum, Creed Green Irish Tweed, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Acqua di Parma Oud, Slumberhouse Jeke, Xerjoff Fars and Xerjoff Gao

The only 2 spray scents in my current collection are Creed OS and Kouros. And that's 2 for office, 3 or 4 for play. Everything else is somewhere from 3 full sprays to a high of probably 8.

glad to see there are some real sprayers on Bnotes!

That may be true but be aware that you may be choking out people who are near you.

I spray 3 times max.Fragrances that need more will never be in my wardrobe.

for stronger scents, which most of mine are, i usually do 3 sprays. 1 on the chest, 1 on the neck, 1 on the back of the neck.

for lighter or summer/spring scents, i do 4 sprays. 2 on the chest, 1 on each side of the neck.

Today I did 4 sprays with Allure Homme Sport and it did perfectly

Count me in the "less is more" club. I usually go with 2, one on chest (well, 1 and a half since the 1st isn't a full spray), one on hair, and I can smell my fragrance by whiffs all day long.
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

I'm happy that there are some stronger sprayers around here to keep the perfumers working. Let's hear it for the FRAGRANCE WHORES!
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Max 3.5, generally 1 or 2.

I probably average around 2 sprays per wear.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I rarely use more than 2 short sprays, one on chest and another down my back (probably equal to one full spray) of anything. It seems that more than that and I am awash in a sea of fragrance that is simply too much for me and for those around me. If I were to spritz 5-6 full sprays of, say, tonight's wearing of Vintage Donna Karon Fuel for Men, I think I would be lit up the olfactory equivalent of a 4th of July fireworks display in Boston. It has to be something to do with skin chemistry.
    Last edited by kbe; 22nd February 2011 at 10:46 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Count me in to that too! I can't help but notice that a number of us "spray whores" live in the UK and other countries with generally colder environments. I think that has a lot to do with it. I go between 5-8 usually. Apart from with the one & the one gentlemen which I spray like crazy otherwise it dies in moments. Wont be buying either of those again! Not value for money at all! I may as well buy a niche scent!

I am in favor of subtlety, and under no circumstances do I want someone more than 3 feet away smelling me.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.

Never more than three sprays here, even for the lightest of the light. Mugler Cologne seems to be the quintessential "I need 17 sprays or I can't smell it AT ALL!" scent, but I find four sprays of it pungent and overpowering. The highest I've gone was 6 sprays for CK Be, which is more or less scented water. My eau de parfums like Angel or Coco rarely get more than one spray. Either my nose is relatively sensitive, or you 6-10 spray people need to have your sinuses checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
    Most of the time I will do 4 sprays. 2 to the chest and 2 to the neck.
    This

One or two sprays is enough for me.

Anybody from anywhere where it's never really hot (like the UK) go by the "only one or two" rule?

Just trying to work out if it's just an "only it warm countries" rule.

5-6 sprays for me.....I wouldn't waste my time with 1 or 2.....I would just find a good shower gel and deo and forget fragrance.....There are those fragrances that I will spray 3-4 times.....but most get 5-6 or even 7-8 at times.....Gary

I'm a 3-spritz wearer, all of which on torso. I prefer to reapply if needed.

The advantage of one or two sprays is that at 12sprays per ml, a 100ml bottle will last between 2 and 4 years.

The disadvantage of one or two sprays is that just about everybody else will be putting out more scent than the minimalist sprayer. Anyone wearing Lynx/Axe, Brut/Old spice underarm deodorant, Gilette aftershave balm, Mennnen aftershave splash etc, will output more scent than one or two sprays of EDT. Some women have shampoos that put out more scent from their hair.

So what's the point? Why does one want to have really nice scents, and be more subtle than the average person?

With a few exceptions, I usually go for six sprays under my clothes. The exceptions are a couple of really strong scents, and those which have bigger sprayer nozzles.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 23rd February 2011 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    The advantage of one or two sprays is that at 12ml per spray
    12ml per spray?! What are you using, a water gun?! :-o

Maybe its a problem with the nose?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    The advantage of one or two sprays is that at 12ml per spray, a 100ml bottle will last between 2 and 4 years.

The disadvantage of one or two sprays is that just about everybody else will be putting out more scent than the minimalist sprayer. Anyone wearing Lynx/Axe, Brut/Old spice underarm deodorant, Gilette aftershave balm, Mennnen aftershave splash etc, will output more scent than one or two sprays of EDT. Some women have shampoos that put out more scent from their hair.

Renato
    Sorry, but I don't buy it.

1-2 sprays properly applied of GOOD quality scents will not be overpowered by the above in close quarters. I'd love to see anyone putting on a ton of Axe come up against 1 spray of Black Aoud.

If 1-2 sprays would get lost, I wouldn't get the compliments that I regularly get....how would they compliment if they didn't notice?!? Usually compliments come when I walk past a person who stops me and notices my "wake".

THe only thing more sprays does is amplify projection.....which is not my intent. Other than nightclubs and places where you really want to shout out your scent, I don't see the point.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive to bombarding folks with what I'm wearing, but one of my clearest memories is being miserable around a scent. About 9 years ago I was killing time before a gig in NYC and I decided to go up the Empire State building. It was a warm day and it was crowded. I had the misfortune of being around an elderly Indian lady who smelled very strongly of spices and body odor. EVerywhere I tried to escape, but she was there.

The most miserable time I can remember.

Fragrance is a personal thing and I never wish to impose my will on others.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Charles Mingus

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Anybody from anywhere where it's never really hot (like the UK) go by the "only one or two" rule?

Just trying to work out if it's just an "only it warm countries" rule.
    I live in Switzerland and in a very cold city, often rainy, a lot of snow in winter etc. and like I said above, I use an average of 2 sprays, even in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by mambac
    [...] haha jk, but it sounds like a good idea
    No.
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    So what's the point? Why does one want to have really nice scents, and be more subtle than the average person?
    Depending on where you live, the "average person" probably wears no scent at all besides deodorant and/or scented shower gel. One can enjoy one's own cologne/perfume without creating an obnoxious sillage trail that invades others' personal space, which, I'm sorry, is what more than 3-4 sprays of anything will be in danger of producing. I hate to go against the Basenotes grain, but let's be realistic here.

I like my scents subtle. I never apply more than three sprays with anything, even the weaker scents. For heavier fragrances like Le Male or Angel Men, I only do one spray on the chest/neck area. I like smelling good, but I don't want to overpower a room.

Paging Dullah...Mr Dullah, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

For me, it completely depends on the fragrance.

Silver Musk = 1 spray (and it lasts and lasts)
    Rose 31 = 2 sprays.
    Rive Gauche = 3 sprays
    Windsor= 5 sprays
    Gendarme = Until my finger gets sore
    Aventus = Haven't figured that one out yet...
    Last edited by adonis; 23rd February 2011 at 01:38 AM.

Holy crap 4 sprays for Tobacco Vanille? I only do one and I'm good for the entire day. I usually do 1-2 sprays for my heavy fragrances. For my lighter ones I usually end up spraying some on my clothes and that usually lasts a good 7-10 hours for me.

1 or 2 sprays? Yeah, that's cute.
    But seriously, in my experience, it all depends on how you dress. If I wear only a T shirt or a shirt with no undershirt nor jacket it's fine to spray your chest or lower arms, etc. but if you dress in layers like I do most of the time, in undershirt, dress shirt, tie and a jacket; there's no way I can do with just a few sprays.
    My standard is 6-8 sprays (neck and wrist total). But I have so many bottles and I want to go through them so I've started misting all over my arms, chest, torso and neck. These are average 20 sprays but the effect brings out the notes in a totally different way. Diffusion is very controlled this way becasue of my layered clothing and I'm getting unsolicited compliments from even the most conservative quiet people around me. I have specifically asked many people if they can smell me. Sometimes the answer is no! Most times the answer is that the scent is mild and very pleasant. BUT all the while, I smell myself and I really enjoy the effect. And believe me these people WOULD tell me otherwise. This includes YSL PH HC, Hanae Mori HM EDP, Lolita Lempicka AM, etc.
    The only exceptions are Black Aoud (4 sprays) and Caraceni 1913, etc.
    However, I DO adjust according to certain occasions (conservative setting, meeting, etc.).
    Last edited by Renaissance_Man; 23rd February 2011 at 02:37 AM.