Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default What factors do you consider in claiming that a certain fragrance is your signature scent?

I have many fragrances that suit me well, that others tell me smells great on me. I love them equally and enjoy having them in my collection. But what exactly makes one my signature scent over the others? Is it strictly based on how often a scent is worn?

Default Re: What factors do you consider in claiming that a certain fragrance is your signature scent?

I rotate every day - it's impossible for me to say that I have a signature scent. A signature scent to me is a scent that reminds others of you. I never wear the same thing two days in a row, so it's impossible for me to say I have one.

Default Re: What factors do you consider in claiming that a certain fragrance is your signature scent?

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I have many fragrances that suit me well, that others tell me smells great on me. I love them equally and enjoy having them in my collection. But what exactly makes one my signature scent over the others? Is it strictly based on how often a scent is worn?
    If you want to wear it often like every third or fourth day. If the wearing it again feels like coming home. If people around you recognize you /associate you from the scent. If you feel that the perfumer is your soul mate, you like that scent so much. If you feel yourself wearing that scent as you can be yourself, and not to play any role.
    For sale (Worldwide): Dark Aoud, Jazz Prestige, Ungaro I Edt + Aftershave, Versace L'Homme Vintage etc.

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

it's got to smell good, last and project, make me feel good, be versatile, unique....Dior Homme Intense

I think Signature scent in the traditional mentality is that one fragrance that reminds people of you. I used to get this all the time, "I met this guy and he smelled like you, I couldn't get that out of my head", back when I used to rock Le Male.

I think for us Basenoters, its moreso representative of our "go to" fragrance. What fragrance do you want to wear when you want to feel the absolute best.

I decide my signature scent on the versatility, enjoy-ability, longevity and sillage to push through at least 10 hours. There aren't many fragrances that fit that mould. Actually out of ones that I have found, it has only been Le Male and Aventus.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

I would have to choose one fragrance and get rid of every other fragrance I have for it to be considered a signature scent. Like the signature you sign your name with for me there can only be one. Which is why I could never just stick to one fragrance when there is so much variety.

You'll only have a signature scent if you pick your favourite one to keep, and put the rest on Ebay.

But you can have several signature scents if you are sneaky, for example,
    using one scent only for work,
    using one scent only for your party crowd friends,
    using one scent only for your family and family friends, etc.

And then the question becomes - Why are you bothering?
    It's like wearing a uniform to work everyday, when the place you work at doesn't require uniforms.

Regards,
    Renato

i personally wear 2 diff scent together everyday, so i have no signature scent.

as for others, if you enjoying wearing a particular scent from your collection that's suitable for all season and all occasions which doesnt offend the peoples around you, then you can consider it as your signature scent
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Anglique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Don't really have a signature scent, but obviously whatever I wear each day has to smell good.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

When more than one person after smelling the fragrance tell you 'this is so 'YOU''. Ideally the signature fragrance compliments your preferred style in clothes and resonates with your personality.

At this point, I can't really imagine ever having a "true signature," but maybe a handful I'd wear the most. As far as what factors I'd consider in order to, it would have to be a scent that I found myself wearing more and more frequently, never tiring of, and simply loved it enough and wore it enough that it's what people would associate as "my smell".

I wear what I wear based on my Mood, but at the same time My wardrobe Isn't full of popular stuff(i do have a few) so the scents I do wear people can recognize me by them

For the past few months, I've been trying to dub one fragrance "signature." It's not possible in my case. However, if I had to choose a signature scent, it would be the one that met these criteria best:
    1. Something that I would choose to wear, if for some reason I was only allowed to wear 1 fragrance.
    2. It has to be versatile enough to wear at least 3/4 seasons, and both at night and during the day.
    3. It MUST be affordable. I am not going to make a Creed fragrance my signature scent, simply because I do not want to spend $150-$200 whenever I need to restock
    4. This one is debatable, but it must appeal to others. We wear fragrances because WE want to smell good, but lets be honest, will you keep wearing a fragrance if 8/10 people tell you it smells horrid?
    5. I have to like it. If everyone loves it, but I hate it, I will not consider it.

If I had one it'd be one that I feel properly reflects the image I protrude.

for swap/sale:

That which is worthy enough to leave the proudest imprint of me in others memory, even as the scent has long faded.

For me, I really like a fragrance that is undeniably masculine (I realize that depends on who is wearing it), but yet can still be worn in the office and does not scream 80s powerhouse. It needs to smell clean and attract the right attention, but not be too popular that everyone is wearing it.

Blog Entries

I have some that can't be worn in the warm humid summer, and some that do best in the heat. I couldn't have just one signature for all seasons, but I have postulated that if I could only have one fragrance, it would be Dark Aoud by Montale.

That's a good question.
    I guess it's a fragrance that really fits you well and that somehow expresses your personality. Something you wouldn't mind to wear everyday in every occasion.
    I got one Vetiver Tonka, Hermenessence
    l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

IMO, the defining characteristic of a signature scent is frequency of wearing. If you have one scent that you wear most days, you have a signature. If you have a "rotation," you don't have a signature. If you have anything approaching a "collection," you most likely don't have a signature.
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

I think it's hard to define a 'signature scent' for me as what someone else thinks of it, or if it reminds them of me. BO could be a signature scent for some people. I get that definition, but it's not the connotation I give the term.

To me a signature scent would
    - be something I enjoy smelling
    - be something that I feel complements and/or defines who/what I am; a soul-completing sort of thing
    - be something I could wear every day and be happy
    - be something I own and continue to refresh/purchase as needed
    - be something I *do* wear in the absence of reasons to wear something else (e.g. trying something else out)

Ultimately, it's about being completely happy with a scent. Not to the extent that I give up sampling other things, but in a way that if I'm undecided or not caring about what I wear on that day, or hyper-sensitive on what I wear, it still always comes up as a top choice.

And that's not to say it needs to be just one perfect scent in a world where there can be only one. This isn't marriage.

As it is, I don't actually use the term "signature scent." I rather just have a list of my favorite go-to frags. Or, even more basic, a list of likes, dislikes, or neutrals.

For me the definition is a fairly simple one: it needs to be a scent that both other people and I myself associate with me and me alone. That's it. The other aspects are pretty moot to my mind. How well a scent fits my style of dress or personality are factors so inherently arbitrary as to be 100% meaningless in any concrete sense. Same with frequency; I consider LIDGE my signature even though I only wear it on nights out. Nobody else in my social vicinity has even heard of it (let alone bought or worn it), so to anyone who smells it on me more than once, there is an instant association with me. Therefore, even though I rotate between several scents day-to-day, there's still that one that stands out over the long term. Basically, if people smell it somewhere and think of me, then it's my signature. To me that's the only criterion that matters.

I'd say there are a bunch of small factors for me, but the biggest one would be this: If I was only allowed ONE frag to wear the rest of my life, which one would I grab? Maybe a lame way to do it, but that's me......lame
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

With due respect I don't agree with the greatest part of the definitions above. I have a signature scent, because I find it so much more fitting to my personality than any other fragrance of the several hundreds I've ever tried or owned. It's Kurkdjian's APOM Homme. It doesn't necessarily mean that I wear it that often - I did in the past year but no longer. I don't think that others would associate me with that scent - let alone how few people does live in my 'magnetic field' to be able to recognize my scents It's not necessarily better than other frags - I'm not a particular expert, usually I can't put into words why I find this or that scent good or bad. This scent is me that is a Part Of Me A signature.

Since I have far more something like a "signature rotation", frequency alone can never be the only decisive feature for wearing this group/range/series etc. of frags. It is, far more, diversity, versatility, briefly, the capacity to highlight various sides and facets of myself and my personality, while still keeping a minimal consistency (even if just a consistency in variety).