Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default uh oh Duchaufour

I suppose he is only following the money, like most others:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-8210902.html

Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

So his other perfumes were made for free then?
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    So his other perfumes were made for free then?
    Not suggesting that at all. He is in a position to choose whom he works for though, being one of the brightest stars of the current perfumers' firmament.
    Also, thought this article may have been of some interest to some on this forum...

All perfumers follow the money I assume. So do I in my work. It seems Duchaufour is willing to work for tyrants' spoiled daughters to get it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Great Throbbing Member

Quite a stomach-turning read. Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries

Strange and incomprehensible. Not an association I would want.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Same here.

I've just finished reading the Italian version of this article, on the homepage of most known daily newspaper in Italy Corriere della Sera. I wish I'd found a perfumer's name in a better circumstance!

I find it, at the very least, sad and vulgar.
    Sad, because BD is acting just like one of those "talented" young girls, very popular in my country during Berlusconi's regime, selling himself to the best offerer, no matter how compromised and publicly evil .
    Vulgar, because the choices of the lady in question seems to convey all the cheapness and squalor of a certain way of being a woman, and the idea of BD thinking that this is "femininity and sensuality"...

PS: there seem to be also a man fragrance...

http://www.uznews.net/news_single.ph...d=33&nid=20981
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

That was disturbing. Also disturbing: the report that Sting for a seven figure fee agreed to sit beside the daughter at a fashion show. I wonder whether this is true?
    Currently wearing: Infini by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by Plaisir View Post
    Same here.
    +1 Wonder if maybe he didn't have so much of a choice....

Certainly in poor taste, the money must have been very, very good. Duchaufour is the darling of so many of the perfeume blogs that this story will not get much mention; they don't want to miss out of future interviews or exclusive pre-launch samples.
    Last edited by furrypine; 15th October 2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Currently wearing: Tindrer by Baruti

Assuming that Sting did indeed get seven figures for an evening of his time, one can only imagine what Mr. Duchaufuor was paid to create something more than a lasting memory. I imagine you'd be hard-pressed to find a perfumer who wouldn't undertake such an assignment for a million dollars or more!

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    All perfumers follow the money I assume. So do I in my work. It seems Duchaufour is willing to work for tyrants' spoiled daughters to get it.
    I agree. I don't think it's much different from any other luxury company dealing with custom orders coming from the same clientele, the only difference being that they're discreet about it.

Might be slightly OT, but it reminds me of all the pop stars getting six figures pay for singing a couple of songs at a random dictator's event. Not that far back, Britney Spears got a $1 mil paycheck for a wedding gig of a corrupt government official in neighbouring Kazakhstan. Not surprisingly, any kind of photography was strictly forbidden.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Interesting. Thanks for the link.

The more important question: would you hit it?

Seriously, though, Duchaufour is making money in the same way Hermes, Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton, etc have over the decades when kleptocrats from Africa and all over the world have arrived in Paris and paid massive amounts of blood money for services and goods rendered.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    The more important question: would you hit it?
    For a million bucks? Sure would!

If this is true, it is certainly disappointing. He is certainly in a position to choose whom and what values he represents. Perhaps I am displaying my complete naivete, but I believe that even in business, there is room for ethics and personal responsibility.

Honestly, Eau d'Italie scents like Baume Au Doge, Sienna L'Hiver, and and Bois d'Ombrie already smell like they belong to a prisoner-boiling dictator, I'm just sorry reality caught up with the portraiture.

Profoundly disappointing. If this were the 1930's, I guess Duchaufour wouldn't have had a problem concocting something for Eva Braun or Leni Riefenstahl. How else to afford your third vacation home!?

We'd like to think that success affords us to live our principles to the fullest and without any compromise.

And sadly, perhaps he is.

Love his work but no company should touch this man with a 10 foot pole. There are some things more important than perfume.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by gimmegreen View Post
    Not suggesting that at all. He is in a position to choose whom he works for though, being one of the brightest stars of the current perfumers' firmament.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    I've just finished reading the Italian version of this article, on the homepage of most known daily newspaper in Italy Corriere della Sera. I wish I'd found a perfumer's name in a better circumstance!

I find it, at the very least, sad and vulgar.
    Sad, because BD is acting just like one of those "talented" young girls, very popular in my country during Berlusconi's regime, selling himself to the best offerer, no matter how compromised and publicly evil .
    Vulgar, because the choices of the lady in question seems to convey all the cheapness and squalor of a certain way of being a woman, and the idea of BD thinking that this is "femininity and sensuality"...

PS: there seem to be also a man fragrance...

http://www.uznews.net/news_single.ph...d=33&nid=20981
    Exactly

Exactly. Bad move Mr. Duchaufour.

Exactly!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by catnip_too View Post
    .........He is certainly in a position to choose whom and what values he represents..........
    Not necessarily.

He's connected to a lot of entities in the perfume industry and most likely has obligations to some of them.

This is really appalling. L'Artisan Parfumeur should dress him down, because this reflects on their brand as well. I can't imagine that BD would do this if his own son had to labor as a slave in Googoosha's cotton fields each summer.... Artists have to, above all people, care about who their clients and patrons are. If they don't care, we really are doomed as a civilization.

Yes, I really believe if this guy is as bad as everyone is saying, I'm fairly certain Duchaufour wouldn't be allowed to refuse him, nor say anything bad about him. It sounds like he's possibly "enslaved" Duchaufour because he IS such an artistic master. That only makes me think even more that Duchaufour shouldn't be judged for what's happening, but rather, maybe we should have compassion and concern for him.

If this is true, it is certainly disappointing. He is certainly in a position to choose whom and what values he represents. Perhaps I am displaying my complete naivete, but I believe that even in business, there is room for ethics and personal responsibility.
    Agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Certainly in poor taste, the money must have been very, very good. Duchaufour is the darling of so many of the perfeume blogs that this story will not get much mention; they don't want to miss out of future interviews or exclusive pre-launch samples.
    That's the world of fragrance blogs for you...

Quote Originally Posted by dusttdust View Post
    Yes, I really believe if this guy is as bad as everyone is saying, I'm fairly certain Duchaufour wouldn't be allowed to refuse him, nor say anything bad about him. It sounds like he's possibly "enslaved" Duchaufour because he IS such an artistic master. That only makes me think even more that Duchaufour shouldn't be judged for what's happening, but rather, maybe we should have compassion and concern for him.
    Nonsense. Do you have any facts at all to back up that fantasy scenario? I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but my guess is he did it for the money.
    Currently wearing: Mitsouko by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Quite a stomach-turning read. Thanks for posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plaisir View Post
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Exactly

Exactly

Exactly. Bad move Mr. Duchaufour.

Exactly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    This is really appalling. L'Artisan Parfumeur should dress him down, because this reflects on their brand as well. I can't imagine that BD would do this if his own son had to labor as a slave in Googoosha's cotton fields each summer.... Artists have to, above all people, care about who their clients and patrons are. If they don't care, we really are doomed as a civilization.
    So then, is it all talk or are you going to put your mouth where your principles are?

I'm assuming you're going to boycott Duchafour, and by association, L'Artisan Parfumeur perfumes.

Good news everyone else, the For Sale section is going to be flowing with Duchafour bottles.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 16th October 2012 at 04:33 PM.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Nonsense. Do you have any facts at all to back up that fantasy scenario? I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but my guess is he did it for the money.
    I have just as many facts to back up the things that are speculated in this article. I am trying not to judge people based on such little information. I'm not defending his decision, I'm just saying I'm sure the issue isn't so black and white and people shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Would you consider that nonsense, Kagey?

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    So then, is it all talk or are you going to put your mouth where your principles are?

I'm assuming you're going to boycott Duchafour, and by association, L'Artisan Parfumeur perfumes.

Good news everyone else, the For Sale section is going to be flowing with Duchafour bottles.
    LOL! spot on. so he did it for the money, so he's prostituted himself, soooo what??.. it's not the first time and won't be the last. the last time i've checked, we live in a pretty materialistic, cynical world, why do all of you find this so surprising or shocking? sorry, but i haven't batted an eyelid when reading this article. sad, maybe. but that's about it.
    there are a lot more pressing, urgent and tragic matters in this world that need and should be addressed and this is not one of them. rich guy doing something for another rich guy, my heart cries rivers.
    Last edited by danny1967; 16th October 2012 at 05:06 PM.

I don't presume to speak for everyone, but I saw my post cited above

(BTW, I opened my sentence with "If this is true," because the short article is all I see right now. It would be interesting if the information could be verified.)

I realize that we live in a selfish and materialistic world, but we are not merely consumers or social puppets. We do have some limited agency. I don't wear, for example, fur coats. I avoid companies that have been implicated in the exploitation of child labor. I don't eat meat, and if I must, I buy cage-free eggs because I don't like cruelty to animals. I am not responsible for other people's actions, and I cannot control other people's actions but just because there is selfishness out there, it doesn't mean that we should all accept it as something we shouldn't even question. In the end of the day, we decide what's important and what not to us.
    Last edited by catnip_too; 16th October 2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: sp

I don't presume to speak for everyone, but I saw my post cited above

(BTW, I opened my sentence with "If this is true," because the short article is all I see right now. It would be interesting if the information could be verified.)

I realize that we live in a selfish and materialistic world, but we are not merely consumers or social puppets. We do have some limited agency. I don't wear, for example, fur coats. I avoid companies that have been implicated in the exploitation of child labor. I don't eat meat, and if I must, I buy cage-free egs because I don't like cruelty to animals. I am not responsible for other people's actions, and I cannot control other people's actions but just because there is selfishness out there, it doesn't mean that we should all accept it as something we shouldn't even question. In the end of the day, we decide what's important and what not to us.

agreed.

i get first cherry picking of your Duchafour bottles though, right.
    for swap/sale: